Quantcast Do the dvd players in WDW resorts play European Dvds ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Do the dvd players in WDW resorts play European Dvds ?

I was just wondereing in anyone knew if the dvd players at WDW resorts had the facility to allow you to play both types of format ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised, though I don't know for sure. Here at work, I had to search long and hard for a DVD player that was region-free. Found one and ordered it, but felt like I had to use back channels to get it done. While i'm sure that it wouldn't be as difficult for Disney to do it, and even though it is the no. 1 theme park destination in the world, I would bet that they didn't put that much effort into it as the demand is probably very low.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Are they in rooms other than DVC?

I would probably guess they don't. Last time I went to WDW I think it was a name brand DVD player (Sony or something). And while I havne't been keeping up, a lot of the brand names DO NOT do region free, at least not without hacks.

I wouldn't plan on it... You can get a number of devices these days that will play movies and you can hook one of those up. Many phones now have video out. I also use my tablet for movie playback, load up the memory card with movies and just play. Brought the entire bluray release of Lord of the Rings extended edition on my cruise, all on a 16gig memory card with room to spare.

Post Thanks / Like

i had no idea that there was a difference. i guess it would be since the plugs are different too right. i would imagine that they must have at least one or two at the front desk right. i stayed at a dvc resort and there were several people there from the european countries. from what i could tell they all spoke english though. call the resort they will have an answer for u.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nfrustaci View Post
    i had no idea that there was a difference. i guess it would be since the plugs are different too right. i would imagine that they must have at least one or two at the front desk right. i stayed at a dvc resort and there were several people there from the european countries. from what i could tell they all spoke english though. call the resort they will have an answer for u.
    It's not a difference in the plug, DVDs are created in different formats, depending on the part of the world they're to be sold in. DVDs sold in the US and Canada are in Region 1 format, DVDs sold in Europe are Region 2, and so forth.

The typical DVD player sold in the US will only play Region 1 DVDs. I'm sure that's what they have in the resorts; while you can buy a region-free DVD player that will play all of the region formats, they're not common, and I'd imagine they're more expensive. Disney wouldn't expect enough guests coming from other parts of the world with their own DVDs to justify the added expense.

OP, perhaps you could bring a small portable DVD player with you, and connect it to the TV in your room? They're not much larger than a paperback book.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LynneM View Post
    ...while you can buy a region-free DVD player that will play all of the region formats, they're not common, and I'd imagine they're more expensive.
    Actually, usually the region free ones are the cheap chinese knockoff variety and pretty cheap. I have a couple of Philips ones that are region free, play PAL and NTSC and even Divx disks, plus it upscaled DVD to HD. I don't think I spent more than $30 bucks on it more than 3 years ago.

My first Toshiba DVD player was a "deal" at $225 and didn't even play DVD-R disks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Actually, usually the region free ones are the cheap chinese knockoff variety and pretty cheap. I have a couple of Philips ones that are region free, play PAL and NTSC and even Divx disks, plus it upscaled DVD to HD. I don't think I spent more than $30 bucks on it more than 3 years ago.

My first Toshiba DVD player was a "deal" at $225 and didn't even play DVD-R disks.
    Your not far off the truth on that in Europe now most of the dvd selling these days are for both regions and the prices are very cheap .
    I had just hoped to bring a few of my favourite dvds with me and watch them as and when
    I just thought there might have been a chance since there is a high proportion of Europeans who do visit WDW
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Several ways to do this...

Many newer smartphones can output to a TV now, put a few movies on there get a cable and BOOM you're in business.

There are also a number of tablets on the market as well, plus the old laptop. All sorts of solutions to this, but I spend so little time in the room, watching a movie is usually not that high on the list of things to do.

And remember, Disney doesn't want you sitting in your room etiher, they want you out spending money. The last thing they want to do in encourage not spending money.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: