Quantcast Soarin: What's the Big Deal - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Rode it once, will never waste our time on it again.
    While every attraction doesn't have to be a thrill ride (Horizons and WOM were two of our all-time favorites) in this case I think the hype far exceeds the reality.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    You do smell the orange trees and the pines and the ocean. My father can't ride a lot of things because he gets motion sick. We were trying to talk him into riding it and he was refusing. My 6 YO niece said " But Granddaddy, don't you want to smell the oranges?" I think the great thing is that it does appeal to a wide audience. I love it and could ride it over and over. After 6 times on it I'm ready to go right now.
    Tell your father that I don't do roller coaster type rides. I get motion sick very easily. I'm the one that sits out most of the thrill rides. My DH gets frustrated with me. He loves SM, RRC, MS and Soarin. The first time he rode it he kept saying I needed to ride it. I would get aggrevated with him because he knew I got sick on rides like that. In August we went just the two of us and I was determined that I was going to ride as many things as I could with him and even took Dramamine each day. We went on Soarin first thing in the morning before I took any and were in the front row. I was very nervous about it and was prepared to close my eyes. After the first couple of minutes, I began to enjoy it and did just fine. So we rode it again and I enjoyed it more this time. Never got sick. I did try SM and the reaction was just the opposite. I will never go on it again! But Soarin, yes. DH is a helicopter pilot and loves anything like this. Tell your father to at least try it once.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually a big fan of Soarin.

You see, I can't stand the ride, but a whole lot of people don't mind wasting hours standing in line over there for a seven minute movie viewed in a swing.

With that many people corralled into one place, I'm sure it helps the lines everywhere else.
    86- Offsite
    95- Offsite
    01- All-Star Music
    03- Offsite
    05- Polynesian and Pop Century
    07- All-Star Music
    07- Beach Club
    08 - Pop Century
    09- Old Key West

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's wonderful. It's one of our favorites. And the best thing about it, it's not a thrill ride. Since when does everything have to be about thrill rides at Disney? JMO

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I felt the same way about Soarin' initially, but after a few trips, it really started to grow on me. I do love the music, which I think is a big part, but my favorite part is when the helicopters fly off the aircraft carrier. My husband is the Navy and flys that same helicopter and when he was deployed I would love to go and watch it because experiencing what he does everyday was the closest I could get to him when he was gone. I guess having a personal connection to the film helped me bond with the attraction, now I hit it every time I go.
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    Seriously, why wait two hours for a seven minute ride, that is really just an IMAX screen with movable chairs, a few smells thrown in, and fans blowing on you? Zzzzzzzz.
    We could not agree with you more! Yea... spray some pine-sol and citrus air freshener in my face... wa-hoo! No thank you.

We've come to the decision we're delighted if people love Soarin' and will wait for hours to ride it... that's frees up more line time for Test Track, Mission Space, etc. So, go ahead, ride it to your heart's content everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

It only stands to reason that some people are going to hate Soarin. Is there a single ride/attraction/show/fireworks/etc. that EVERYONE loves? The answer is NO. It is impossible.

BUT as far as Soarin' goes - this time, the Imagineers really hit it OUT OF THE PARK (so to speak.) IF they were after a thrilling (and yes, I use that word carefully) experience that the WHOLE FAMILY can enjoy - from the toddler to the grandmother, they get an unqualified A+++. It shows us one of the most beautiful places in the world (California) in a way that almost NONE of us will ever experience. PLUS - what is keeping them from making it "Soarin' over Florida" or "Soarin over America" or "Soarin' over Europe" (etc. forever). THEY CAN DO IT in a heartbeat. You would never know when you went in what your destination would be. I see that coming.

Boring? What kind of special, charmed life some of you must lead! You must live in some video game-virtual reality world other than the one I live in if you think Soarin' is boring. There is NOTHING in my every day life that comes even close. Honestly, some of you must be astronauts or race car drivers or something.

Name me one other ride in any park on the PLANET where so many in your family can sit literally side by side and experience those thrilling sensations, sights, smells and emotions ALL TOGETHER. Not even Cinderella's Carousel, because not everyone can hike up onto those horses. What a wonderful feeling, to look to my left and look to my right and see my whole precious family with huge smiles on their faces!!! It just doesn't happen that often.

And some of you gripping about the wait - well, that is totally your fault. Go the very first thing in the morning, be there when the gate opens, walk to The Land, get a fast pass, and then hop on and ride. Ride it again later with your FP. Why would you EVER wait? If there is a line, skip it - come back later or forget about it. If you don't like to wait in lines, get out of the line and go do something else.

Yes, They hit it out of the park with this one. Soarin' is an immediate classic - it will never go away.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juggalotus View Post
    And unlike ToT, SpaceMountain or Test Track, there's no restrictions to ride Soarin (like not pregnant, and free of heart/back problems). It is open to a much broader audience than the thrill rides are.
    Actually, you have to be 40 inches to ride. Also I belive you are not supposed to ride if you are pregnant. There are also warnings that if you have ashtma (sp?) that the chemicals used to create the smells can trigger an attack. And come to think of it I think there are the usual warnings about motion sickness, heart and back problems.

And motion sickness is a real problem on the ride, I have been on with 2 people that got sick (although I have to admit one of them gets sick on Winnie the Pooh).
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

What's so great about Soarin'? Well, you mean besides EVERYTHING!?!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about the ride is the beauty of the scenery in the film. While I have never been to California, even if I did go, I don't imagine I would ever be able to see so much of it, or from such a wonderful vantage point.

Dull? Sure, I guess in comparison to TOT or RNRR. I like those rides too. But I don't think every ride has to be a thrill a minute experience. Maybe that has something to do with my age.
    John/kmo84

Post Thanks / Like

I like to watch Puddy in the pre-flight show. For some reason, that just cracks me up.

Seriously, I really enjoy Soarin', but I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for it. We did it twice last week, and FP'ed it each time. For our family, it's a must-do, but honestly, we don't have that many must-do rides at Epcot. It WAS DD5's fave, but then she rode TestTrack...

(Oh, and we were in the "bad" seats both times. It was fine. Actually, the scents were more noticeable in the "bad" seats than they were in the "great" seats we had in January.)
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

What's so great ? Well , for starters , no other park , except Disney , has this type of ride. It's a great simulator , much better than Mission Space , because virtually no one gets sick and it contains actual scenery .The whole family can ride it , unlike some of the coasters and M:S. And it's exhilarating. The very nature of this attraction lends itself to using updated movies in the future.

However ,if you have to ask why a ride is popular after riding it yourself , my guess is that you'll never like it , and no one could convince you otherwise.

I doubt that Disney will ever build an attraction that can live up to all guests expectations. My personal opinion is that Disney aced this one.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather spend my time eating tonga toast.

My wife likes Soarin', but then again, she orders macadamia and pineapple pancakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good points on here but for me i go by feel and I just don't feel it on there.

Like you all have said, to each his own I guess.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: