Quantcast Soarin: What's the Big Deal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Soarin: What's the Big Deal

Hi,

We went to WDW the week of August 26th. Stayed at the BC and had the time of our lives. Very little wait for any ride that wasn't Soarin.

Our last day there I walked over and did Soarin, and I have to say, what's the big deal?

I mean it was cool but why the long waits when great rides like TOT, Space Mountain, Test Track etc had 10 minute waits tops?

Help me to understand why people flock to it?

Thanks,
    Jay

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For one, it's still relatively "new". People who haven't been in a few years haven't gotten to ride it yet.Second, it is different.There's just no other ride in the parks like it.
    It is also a really great ride. It's probably in my top 10 of all time at WDW. But that's what's so wonderful about WDW, there is something for everyone!
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I am one of the few that haven't been on this ride. I will finally get that chance in November. I am looking forward to all the sensations I have heard you can experience. Isn't there the smell of pine trees or something?
    Visted Disney World since 1975
    Disney treehouses 1980's
    All-Star Movies 1990's

All-Star Music 2000-2005
    All-Star Movies March 2007
    Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa June 2007
    All-Star Movies 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

And unlike ToT, SpaceMountain or Test Track, there's no restrictions to ride Soarin (like not pregnant, and free of heart/back problems). It is open to a much broader audience than the thrill rides are.
    John

TBD - September 2015 -- Daughters' first trips
    Caribbean Beach -- Sep/Oct 2005 -- Honeymoon
    Caribbean Beach -- Nov 1991
    Disney Inn -- 1986

Post Thanks / Like

You do smell the orange trees and the pines and the ocean. My father can't ride a lot of things because he gets motion sick. We were trying to talk him into riding it and he was refusing. My 6 YO niece said " But Granddaddy, don't you want to smell the oranges?" I think the great thing is that it does appeal to a wide audience. I love it and could ride it over and over. After 6 times on it I'm ready to go right now.

Post Thanks / Like

MMM the smell of orange trees and pine trees.... oooh and I so want to dip my feet in the ocean!! It is one of the best rides and will always be a family favorite. We love the fact that the whole group of us can go on now that DD4 is tall enough where TOT and SM are rides my ds12 and mom just don't do.

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just tell grandpa if he starts to feel sick just to close his eyes. We took my 4 and 6 year old on it and the loved it. For the thrill seeker next time your ride it lean forward just a tad and look down instead of straight. be sure not to hold on to anything. it makes the ride a little more thrilling for those who may find it boring.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on this. I don't get this ride at all. I think it's boring, unimaginative, and what does it have to do with the Land Pavillion?

Seriously, why wait two hours for a seven minute ride, that is really just an IMAX screen with movable chairs, a few smells thrown in, and fans blowing on you? Zzzzzzzz.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

That is the whole point of the ride. It is all about this Land of ours and it fits perfectly into that pavillion. It is a wonderful ride. It is something different. Is it just an Omnimax screen? Yes it is but does every great ride have to be a thrill ride? I should hope not. I would think it is more boring if every great ride was a thrill ride.

How often does one get to see the wonderful sites shown in that film in the way they are presented? I bet not many considering one scene was filled in a National Park that has no fly rules and Disney was given special permission to fly in there to get the shots they wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my top five, maybe even three, favorite rides in all of WDW. It's just incredible to me. It's so realistic. And the smells add so much to the ride also. Some rides/attractions are great for just one time, or a few times. Some are great for as many times as you can get and this is one of those for me. I can't imagine ever tiring of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
    Hi,

We went to WDW the week of August 26th. Stayed at the BC and had the time of our lives. Very little wait for any ride that wasn't Soarin.

Our last day there I walked over and did Soarin, and I have to say, what's the big deal?

I mean it was cool but why the long waits when great rides like TOT, Space Mountain, Test Track etc had 10 minute waits tops?

Help me to understand why people flock to it?

Thanks,
    Jay
    The ride is okay. And I've been on it numerous times at DLR/DCA. There are several reasons why this ride is popular. One, it's one of the few newer attractions that the majority of the family can enjoy. It doesn't have any jerky movements, doesn't move fast, and most people do not get sick on this attraction. And to top it all of, the attraction doesn't scare people either.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

I would honestly never ride it again, if I didn't have a fastpass....IMHO it is not worth a wait over 30minutes...

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this ride wasn't as great as the line warranted after my first visit as well. But the more times I rode it, the more it stuck with me. I think the music has a lot to do with everyone’s love for this ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also has to do with the architecture of the ride - Space Mountain, Test Track, Mission Space, etc may all have a larger system capacity. Soaring has the two large concourses, and they can't speed that up by adding extra cars or anything.

But yeah, the fact that it is new, and does not have the "Warning: Do not go near this ride if you are pregnant, claustrophobic, have heart problems, are afraid of the dark, have male pattern baldness, have an ingrown toenail"-Mission: Space style warnings.

It was good, but not worth a long wait, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
    But yeah, the fact that it is new, and does not have the "Warning: Do not go near this ride if you are pregnant, claustrophobic, have heart problems, are afraid of the dark, have male pattern baldness, have an ingrown toenail"-Mission: Space style warnings.

It was good, but not worth a long wait, IMO.
    I wonder about those warnings sometimes.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't exactly enthralled with Soarin', either.

Perhaps they were having technical difficulties the day I rode. We already had a malfunction in a previous theatre and my group was led to another. In the new theatre, I didn't notice any aromas and, no I didn't have a cold. My seat was in the lowest row to the right. The dangling feet were a little distracting. I think a different day and a different view and I may have a different response.
    1978 - CR
    1982 - Golf Resort
    1985 - CR
    1990 - CR
    1994 - CR
    2000 - CR
    2004 - CR
    2006 - Grand Floridian
    2008 - CR
    2009 - Grand Floridian. We feel very fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that its broad appeal to many different age groups, its newness and its relatively low rider capacity contribute greatly to the long waits, and I agree with the topic starter and others that have said that they don't see what the big deal is all about. I admit that I first rode it at California Adventure in 2001 and was amazed by it. I remember commenting that it was one of the best Disney rides that I have ever been on. However, the passage of time and having ridden it multiple times now have led me to grow a little tired of it. Don't get me wrong, I still think that it's one of the best experiences in Future World, but it doesn't maintain that timeless appeal for me that Disney classics such as the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean do. So, we'll have to wait and see how well the popularity of Soarin' holds up over time.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

For the five of us, its a not miss attraction. We are 47, 42, 13, 11, and 8 now. We've been riding it since its debut at WDW. The five of us all have the same reaction. We come off that ride SMILIN' and talking about it, and loving the sensation it gives us. We all love the free, flying sensation. It just might be our favorite ride at WDW.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

It's a family ride. Period. It can be enjoyed by all. It is on my list of can't miss rides. The sights are amazing and the feeling of actually soarin' over California is awe inspiring. My family and I have been on this ride many times and I can't imagine growing tired of it! It is tremendous!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't supposed to b a thrill ride, it is a fun family ride. More often than not, Disney isn't about the thrill but the experience. And it is a wild experience.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: