Quantcast IT Workers at Walt Disney World - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am not so good on keeping up with current events. This was only brought to my attention last week, when I mentioned that we may be heading back to WDW for our (well, my) Disney Fix. Since they still haven't reinstated all of the workers they laid off for lower paid foreign "talent", I have decided to use my power as a consumer to show my displeasure. So, no Disney trip this year, or until they show that they really DO support American workers - workers who spend their hard earned dollars at their theme parks and other venues. So, no Disney themed merchandise for Christmas this year (or for however long it takes), and I will make it a point to boycott any of their televised productions too. No ABC, and since I don't have cable, none of their other products will be watched either. Awhile back, after seeing how well compensated Bob Iger was during a declining year, I divested myself of any Disney offerings (yes, I checked my ETF's and MM's to be sure).
    What they did is pure and simply....wrong. My wife has even suggested that I send a letter to their corporate office to let them know that they won't be seeing us there any time soon. I don't know if that would do any good though - but I still intend to follow through.

We even had a great reason to go this year. My wife's niece just moved down there with her boyfriend after he took a position at a restaurant in EPCOT. Both of them had just finished up courses at a culinary institute and took extra courses in restaurant management. We are pretty sure that her niece would also get a job somewhere as a cast member in the food service area.

So, those of you that are just as appalled as I am that they are doing this to their staff, what do YOU plan to do? Anything?

2. Thanks Tekneek thanked for this post
    Likes Tekneek liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. I'll continue to go and enjoy the parks and buy my murchandise, and run their marathons. My wife and I are former cast members. We lived Disney. We've seen Disney from the outside and from the inside. We were treated exceptionally well and are currently trying to find positions back with the company.

It is unfortunate with the IT department but what are you going to do? That the the way corporate America is these days.

5. Likes AndrewJackson, PopPhan, DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Voting with your wallet is perfectly alright. But it takes very large numbers of people voting the same way to have much of an impact on a company as big as Disney.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Nothing. I'll continue to go and enjoy the parks and buy my murchandise, and run their marathons. My wife and I are former cast members. We lived Disney. We've seen Disney from the outside and from the inside. We were treated exceptionally well and are currently trying to find positions back with the company.

It is unfortunate with the IT department but what are you going to do? That the the way corporate America is these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Voting with your wallet is perfectly alright. But it takes very large numbers of people voting the same way to have much of an impact on a company as big as Disney.
    So, just because I am one voice I should just stand there and wring my hands and not take a stand?

Well, at work I am known as a huge Disney Parks fan, and many have come to me to assist in planning visits. I am NO LONGER a Disney Parks cheerleader, and instead recommend other venues with more employee friendly policies. As far as trying to get "back inside the magic", I wish you luck. But, I would be leery about taking a position there if they've proven that they now find it easier to outsource jobs to unscrupulous contractors using loopholes in the H1B visa program. This "experiment" with the IT groups is just the beginning. If they think that they can get away with it in other areas, (food service, housekeeping, transportation, etc.) then they will. As the proverb goes about the camel getting his nose in under the edge of the tent......
    All Disney has to do is manage their corporate image while this new management tool is being put into play for it to be successful. As long as there are people out there that don't care how they treat their employees (well, the treated me OK, bites to be IT though, etc.) then they've already won. Being a member of the IBEW lets me reach others through contacts and writing letters to the editors of our journal. I hope to raise awareness of this new trend to displace American workers.
    Last edited by DryCreek; 02-01-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if Trump gets elected then perhaps he might make a push to get those jobs back in the US? He's expressed interest in getting manufacturing back in the US, maybe he'd do the same for service as well?

However if you think Disney is expensive now then be careful what you wish for. Disney, like other publicly traded companies is interested in doing what's best for the investor. Them shipping tech work overseas is all about the bottom line.

Are you going to avoid Johnson Controls, Pfizer and Baxalta as well? All have announced mergers in recent weeks that would displace their US headquarters overseas.

I'm all for buy American. I've never owned anything but a US car (Chrysler -- until merged to Daimler or Fiat, Ford or GM), but even they aren't all american. It's a tough proposition!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    So, just because I am one voice I should just stand there and wring my hands and not take a stand?
    Absolutely not. We should all vote our conscience. Just pointing out that just merely "voting" doesn't win elections; "voting" with the majority of other voters wins elections. Right now, right or wrong, it appears that Disney is winning the "vote with your wallets" election by a landslide. But, as they used to say in Chicago, "Vote early and vote often"!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

10. Thanks Tekneek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Absolutely not. We should all vote our conscience. Just pointing out that just merely "voting" doesn't win elections; "voting" with the majority of other voters wins elections. Right now, right or wrong, it appears that Disney is winning the "vote with your wallets" election by a landslide. But, as they used to say in Chicago, "Vote early and vote often"!
    It isn't very popular to deny yourself something you can afford because you might disagree with some aspect of the way that business operates. Whenever something like that hits critical mass, you can bet it has either taken a tremendous effort to rally it or that business has really done something that the masses cannot find some way to excuse/accept/rationalize. The masses will contort themselves in any myriad of ways to not have to alter their existing behavior patterns (not a good vs evil thing, just a fact of human psychology).

Post Thanks / Like

DryCreek I applaud your decision. I've been going to Universal lately and found that after a multi-decade of skipping Uni I like it quite a lot, they've made a lot of improvements since Comcast came in.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: