Quantcast New appreciation for Disney theme parks - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Central Florida, and of course not only have WDW, but Busch Gardens, Sea World, Universal, Legoland...all fairly close.

Legoland is just OK. BG, Universal, SW...I can all leave. I'm not a fan at all. Nothing compares to Disney in my book.

I grew up in Ohio and King's Island was just okay to me too. I never cared for it that much.
    I will gladly pay WDW prices any day over any other theme park!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There's one thing I've found over many years posting and lurking on Disney Boards.....nothing ever compares to the wonder of Disney....and then everyone complains about how they've lost touch.

As I said before, you cannot compare Cedar Fair/Six Flag parks to Disney parks. They are completely different animals. I've been going to SFGAm since I was two (and in Marriott ownership), I've been to King's Island, Magic Mountain, Indiana Beach, Little A-Merrick-A, Geauga Lake, Mount Olympus, Valleyfair, among others. They're completely different environments, and you cannot go in thinking in terms of Disney.

I enjoy going to any park for what they are. Some are carny, some are sketchy, some are terrible, some are quaint, some bring the thrills, some are family oriented. At the end of the day, I ask myself, did I get a good value, and more improtantly....did I have fun? 9/10 times the last answer is YES.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default An Amusment Park is not a Theme Park

I have to agree about being disappointed at other venues. Whenever we go to Six Flags over Texas in Arlington, we are reminded about the difference between an amusement park and a theme park. From what I've noticed over the past few years, Six Flags properties have really suffered since their bankruptcy. Their overall level of service doesn't come near Disney standards, but I don't think that management expects it from their employees.

As for some of the other theme parks I have been to - I must say that I was really, really surprised by our trip to Universal Studios this year. We stayed onsite, and the Unlimited Express Pass spoiled us totally. As far as the level of theming (i.e. background music, sound, building architecture, costuming, etc.) it was very close to a Disney experience. The few things missing were little quibbles such as fewer themed topiaries and some Team Member interactions. The layout of the two parks didn't always lend itself to larger crowds at times though.

We enjoy going to BG-TOG whenever we visit the wife's relatives in Virginia. They do a fairly good job for the most part, but about two years ago they started something new - Christmas Town. When we went, it was a disaster. Too many people and nowhere near enough rides/attractions for the crowds. Since major parts of the park were closed, there throngs of people trying to move in a shoulder to shoulder mass in opposing directions. It was horrible and not at all a pleasant experience.

When I talk about the Disney level of customer service, I include Disneyland Resort too. I think that they easily are on par with WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Hershey Park is maybe the most Disney-like non-Disney park that I've ever been too. Hershey is relatively clean, nicely maintained and the employees seem to like it there. They also have a good mix of family and thrill rides. It's a little bit further ride, but I'll take Hershey over Dorney or Six Flags any day!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Living in New England we buy a season pass to Six Flags New England every other year when they run a promotion and it's usually $50 - $60, considerably les than a Disney one day ticket. We usually make a few trips there but really we like the fact that seasons passes to SF are good at all parks. We do a big summer road trip every year and have visited many of the other Six Flags; Georgia, Chicago, NJ, St Louis, Montreal, Lake George NY, Baltimore. They are really good for one thing thrill rides, they have some of the best roller coasters and that is the ultimate reason for going. Older DS & DD love the thrill rides and we all bite our tongues so as not to make the comparison to Disney.

Six Flags is a cheep alternative to Disney so you have to take it as it is, say the comparison of buying a Chevette or a Cadillac, or shopping at Nordstrums vs Walmart.

Yes Six Flags lack theming, cleanliness,and Disney magic but they make up for it in cheep thrills like Kingda Ka, Green Lantern, Superman, Bizzaro, Batman, Nitro, El Toro etc..

This October we are actually going to do a litte comparison shopping. We will do our yearly pilgrimage to six Flags New England for Frightfest, they have the parked decked out for Halloween and do several extra price haunted houses and walks which we really enjoy as a family. We are also headed to WDW for the free dining and this will be our first Halloween trip that we are really excited about!

See you at WDW or a SF soon!
    Feb '19 Aulani
    Aug '18 Pop Century
    Feb '18 Disneyland
    Dec '16 Yacht & Beach Club
    Oct '13 Carribbean Beach
    Dec '10 AK Kidani Village
    Dec '09 Port Orleans FQ
    Dec '08 Polynesian
    Dec '05 Pop Century

Dec '02 AS Sports
    '73- '92 numerous off site

'71 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Yall haven't seen anything until you have visited six flags Fiesta Texas. I grew up with it down the road and it is a mess. One poster mentioned a coaster in the parking lot at a six flags. Fiesta Texas did the same thing! It isn't even a fun roller coaster on top of that, and its just a generic after thought. Fiesta Texas is filthy and smells bad. Its over run with rude tweens whose parents dropped them off for the day. The water park always has a funky oder. The rides loading is chaotic. Some rides make noises that make me uneasy. Thank god they recreated the rattler because that coaster used to give me the worst headache ever. Also, you're constantly having to ignore the workers at the game stands harassing you.
    So even though I grew up a couple miles from Fiesta Texas, we hardly ever went and just went to WDW every year. Fiesta Texas just stresses me out.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

We just booked a weekend at Cedar Point for their Halloweekends package. We spent an additional $80 apiece for their Fast Lane pass, their version of Disney's FastPass. (We needed two!) Makes you appreciate Disney offering their version for free.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    We just booked a weekend at Cedar Point for their Halloweekends package. We spent an additional $80 apiece for their Fast Lane pass, their version of Disney's FastPass. (We needed two!) Makes you appreciate Disney offering their version for free.
    I know that Cedar Point is not the MK, but it is still one of the best thrill-ride parks in the world for adrenaline junkies. In that sense, it leaves MK in the dust.
    And a one day admission ticket to Cedar Point is $44.95. A one day ticket to MK is more than $100.00 with tax. Different parks, to be sure, but for the top thrill-rides in the world, Cedar Point is still a pretty good deal, even with the Fast Lane passes, which allow you to bypass stand-by on EVERY ride, as many times as you like.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree that Cedar Point is an amazing amusement park. It is my absolute favorite thrill park. And this year, my daughter can ride all but two rides, so that's why I purchased the Fast Lane. I wanted her to experience as much of the park as she can.

After getting FastPass for free all these years, I was just caught off-guard with the $80 fee. I paid it for her sake. And I like their Halloweekends so it's all good. If Disney starts to charge, I'll probably pay that, too.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness