Quantcast Okay to take pics of characters outside of line? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I agree with you, 100%... I only said that though because a friend of mine told me that is how things go in Universal... Those TMs have to take a certain amount of pictures a day and sell a certain amount of packages or else they get written up... I think that is a silly and stupid rule...
    Oh, that other park. Well I can see that sort of thing happening there, but it shouldn't happen in WDW.

Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Oh, that other park. Well I can see that sort of thing happening there, but it shouldn't happen in WDW.

But Universal doesn't actually run the photo... I forget the company that does... I think Disney just signed them on for something as well.. Color Vision maybe??? I forget... Still, silly rule if you ask me
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Well maybe keep a big zoom lens handy just in case. LOL. But I would take your pics say oh...sorry, and move on.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

How can taking photos of anyone at WDW do damage?
    And... how can it be regulated without simply prohibiting all cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't believe this as I read the post. My DH and I do not have children and we have taken many pics of characters from the side without waiting in line. It's pretty rare that I want a pic of me/us with a character and I feel like I don't want to make the line longer for the little kids who do, so I just snap one from the side. I try very hard not to get a child in the pic but it is difficult because the line moves pretty quickly. I have never, in all of our years of going to WDW, been told that I couldn't do this. Interesting to know though. I am wondering if the CMs that enforce this are newbies to being handlers and are just trying to follow *all* the rules. Maybe once they've been doing it a bit then they relax a little. Also, maybe it depends on how many people are hanging out on the side of the lines and trying to keep crowd control Strange, but good to know, I guess. I will still take my pics, but I'll keep this in mind.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    How can taking photos of anyone at WDW do damage?
    Because there are lots of sick people on the internet. It's why I don't put family photos in my internet photo albums.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I take pictures of characters all the time without myself or my kids in it for the INTERCOT Twitter account. I've never had a CM tell me not to do so. Strange.

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken many pictures of characters from the sidelines. Sometimes I get a random kid in there. Who cares? Sorry, but that's ridiculous that you aren't "allowed" to take pictures of anyone's kids without their consent. I take pictures of my kids all over the Disney parks, and USUALLY there are other kids in the shot. At the pool, playground areas, etc. It's impossible NOT to get other kids in the shot.

When I take a picture of Cinderella Castle from Main Street, I get TONS of people in the shot. Is that not allowed either?

Whatever. I will continue to take pictures of characters from the sidelines. There is no reason not to.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    I spoke with my character cm friend and she stated that it is. "rule" but enforceable by the cm's. It's there based on taking pictures of people's children when with the characters. There is a state law that you cannot take a picture of someone's child without their permission so it's essentially based off that. But it's enforceable by the cm's as to whether they feel you are taking the picture with someone's child in there as well.
    Having lived in Florida, I do not believe there is a law that makes it illegal to photograph someone else's kids in a public place without the parents' permission. Think of it--band concerts, dance recitals, graduation ceremonies, sports meets, etc--it happens all the time. Aside from the characters, how many pictures at Disney do we all take that inadvertently include other people's children? You would really have to ban cameras from the parks to keep that from happening.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I had this happen was during Star Wars Weekend and I was trying to take a picture of Darth Vader. I did not want to wait in line and just snapped a picture when he first walked up. No kids had approached him yet. I think it was more they were wanting to keep crowds from forming all around him.
    Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Just did some internet research and found no references to any such law. Just a proposal to make photography of farms a felony. Most photo websites and ACLU state that anything or one in a public place or private place open to the public can be photographed. Private places like Disney may ban photos with clearly posted signs.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I were talking about this and he brought up the fact that Disney sells you pics of other people's children all the time when you purchase your picture from almost any attraction except Buzz Lightyear. If I buy pics of myself from almost any other attraction - because it is just DH and myself (no kids), there are always other people in the pic and usually some are children.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaterializedHaunt View Post
    yes... so just remember... evidentally its ok to cut and get a picture than to wait off to the side and snap a quickie while noone is standing there jeesh some of these CM's need to lighten up a little! What's the worse they can do to you? Maybe you should snap a picture of the CM next time!
    Haha! Love the suggestion! Take their photo next time...great one!

I seriously think there are so many rules the CM's have to remember that I figure alot of them just make up their own rules as they feel like it, especially if they are having a bad day. Or they don't understand some of them, and are crazy strict about stuff.

I cannot imagine Disney having a rule like that....you've paid to get in the park, and its not like the characters are a paid event or anything. I would snap away!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Having lived in Florida, I do not believe there is a law that makes it illegal to photograph someone else's kids in a public place without the parents' permission. Think of it--band concerts, dance recitals, graduation ceremonies, sports meets, etc--it happens all the time. Aside from the characters, how many pictures at Disney do we all take that inadvertently include other people's children? You would really have to ban cameras from the parks to keep that from happening.
    I agree. Doesn't make much sense at all in my mind. Just repeating what the cm told me regarding the Disney picture rule and that's what she said. I'm not a law person so don't even have the slightest idea on how to research. But either way I think the whole thing is very bizarre lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting post. In fact my dh and I argued about this last visit. I said no we should not because I felt we were receiving the stank eye from many a queuers. He was not concerned with any dirty looks. Mind you it was not of anyone's children and I can't imagine a 20 something couple giving anyone the creeps. But we definitely were getting evil vibes from those waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I'm beginning to think some CM's make up their own rules.
    I do make sure no one else is in the photo.
    Ditto. I try not to be creepy and capture other people's kids haha.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, was denied a photo op from the sidelines. I was excited to see Russell and Dug at AK and tried to snap a picture as I passed by. I wasn't in anyone's way but the CM ran up to me putting his hand over my lens and told me I couldn't take the picture. I asked why and he stated that I was taking pictures of other people's families. I explained that I definitely wasn't since I didn't want a picture of strangers, only the characters, and I was waiting until the kids moved out of the shot. He said that didn't matter and told me to get in line if I wanted a picture or move on. Sadly, I didn't get my picture and was embarrassed by the way the CM treated me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I, too, was denied a photo op from the sidelines. I was excited to see Russell and Dug at AK and tried to snap a picture as I passed by. I wasn't in anyone's way but the CM ran up to me putting his hand over my lens and told me I couldn't take the picture. I asked why and he stated that I was taking pictures of other people's families. I explained that I definitely wasn't since I didn't want a picture of strangers, only the characters, and I was waiting until the kids moved out of the shot. He said that didn't matter and told me to get in line if I wanted a picture or move on. Sadly, I didn't get my picture and was embarrassed by the way the CM treated me.
    Wow--mind-blowing. I still cannot imagine why Disney would even consider this type of rule. It would be impossible to enforce consistently and you would think they would have to post it at the meet and greets.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Wow. Crazy.

I would have gotten in the line, and then started taking pictures of the people in front of me in the line.

This is a ridiculous "policy."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Disney should focus more on the aberrant behavior of the BTG's and their negative effects on Disney customers and less on the innocuous situations of simple photo-taking of charaters. Sounds like Disney is confused concerning their priorities.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Share This Thread On Social Media: