Quantcast Zagat survey on Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zagat survey on Disney

From the Orlando Sentinel, April 25

"Rating your favorites at Disney
    Zagat Survey publishes its first guidebook all about Disney World.

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted April 25, 2007

Mickey Mouse is the favorite costumed character, Soarin' the most popular attraction and Victoria & Albert's the home of the best food at Walt Disney World, say frequent visitors.

In a first of its kind, Zagat Survey has polled customers to rate everything at Disney World -- characters, rides, shows, restaurants, taverns, stores, hotels and special experiences -- for a new guidebook.

Zagat Walt Disney World Insider's Guide, published today, is the latest among dozens of guidebooks about Walt Disney World, but may be the first to base ratings on the opinions of thousands of frequent customers.

Zagat surveyed 4,841 people by computer between Nov. 16 and Dec. 3. The average participant had been to Disney World 36 times. And 58 percent possessed annual or season passes.

"We wanted people who are really interested in going to Disney World," said Zagat Survey spokesman Michael Mahle. "They're savvy."

Zagat asked them to rate each Disney World location using a one-to-30 points scale, similar to what the research company has used on restaurants for decades. Zagat also asked each person how often they had been to each location, to determine what was most "popular." In some categories, Zagat also asked them to name their "favorites."

Started as a restaurant review outfit in New York City in 1979, Zagat has become an internationally influential consumer ratings company now rating everything from hotels to entertainment. The Disney effort is the first time Zagat ever produced an entire survey and guidebook on just one business, Mahle said.

Disney World did not participate, but officials apparently are not displeased.

"It's a recognition of how much interest there is in Walt Disney World," spokesman Dave Herbst said. "We're always delighted when people are interested in us, particularly when they say nice things."

Among the findings:

Favorite park: Magic Kingdom was picked by 48 percent of participants, followed by Epcot (36 percent) and Disney-MGM Studios (9 percent.)

Favorite costumed character: Mickey Mouse (37 percent) followed by Goofy (11 percent) and Donald Duck (6 percent.)

Most popular attraction: Soarin' at Epcot, followed by Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, both at Disney-MGM Studios.

Though not as popular as Soarin', Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom got the highest average rating (29 points) from adults, and the Wishes Spectacular fireworks show at Magic Kingdom got the highest from children (29 points).

Most popular dinner show: Hoop-Dee-Doo, at Fort Wilderness Resort.

Most popular shopping: World of Disney at Downtown Disney.

Most popular nightlife: Adventurers Club at Downtown Disney.

Most popular restaurant: California Grill at the Contemporary Resort.

Yet Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian Resort got the highest ratings for food, decor and service (27 points for each.)

The only restaurants not in hotel districts that made Disney's top 10 for food ratings were the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop (ranked ninth) at Downtown Disney, and the Boulangerie Patisserie pastry shop (10th) in Epcot."
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Huh ... that's kinda cool ... I actually was asked to participate in this survey. I wondered if I'd ever get to see the results.

Looks like I was along with the norm most times ... I picked MK as my favorite park, Mickey as my favorite costumed character, Soarin' as my favorite attraction, and Cali Grill as my favorite restaurant (even though we almost never eat there ).

I'm so mainstream ....
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I participated as well. It took a long time! Aren't we supposed to get a copy of the guide?
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Post Thanks / Like

I participated in this too and yes, if you participated, you will supposedly receiving a copy of it. It will be fun to see all the results. I did get an email probably about 2 months ago thanking me once again for participating in the survey. I think it did mention (to the best of my recollection) that we would receive copies once it was published.
    Kristen :)

March 1999 - All Star Movies
    October 2001 - POR
    October 2003 - Contemporary
    March 2004 - POP
    October 2004 - SSR
    Feb 2005 - OKW
    May 2006 - BCV, October 2006 - POLY/VWL
    Feb 07 - SSR , April/May 2007 - BCV
    Dec 2007 - SSR
    Aug 2008 - Cont., Oct 2008 - BWL

Post Thanks / Like

I participated too - hey I wonder what percentage of participants were from Intercot!
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a very interesting guide book. I'll have to go to Books-A-Million and scan it over a cup of Joe.
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Huh ... that's right they did promise us a copy. Wonder when it will arrive?

I got the email thank you, too, but that was the last I heard from them.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i was reading about this. and the person who listed it in their column was suprised at results....no dark rides among fav attractions, both Boma & Jiko in the top 10
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

It says the average participant in the survey had been to WDW 36 times ... I wonder if that means 36 different trips or 36 different days. If it's different trips, that seems like a pretty high average to me.
    1975 - Contemporary
    1988 - Offsite
    1992 - Caribbean Beach
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside (aka DL)
    Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs
    Aug 2007 (1 day @ MGM)
    Sep 2007 (1 day @ EPCOT)
    Jan 2011 - Old Key West
    Jan 2013 - Pop Century
    Oct 2014 - All-Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I participated in this too. I remember being asked how many TRIPS I had taken, not how many days. I could not have told them days.

You have to consider people who live in florida who go all the time would drive that number WAY up. We were standing in line for for the Animation tour in 2003 and my husband started Pin trading with a 7 year old girl. She told us that this was her 37th trip to Disney!! Can you imagine at 7? And they were flying from the midwest! 5 times a year!! She was an old hat at the place. She said she had only brought 2 lanyards and had many more at home.

What a pro!
    Tigerlilly
    Mommy to Parker and Laurie
    First - July 1979
    Most Recent - POFQ, April 29th 2007

Post Thanks / Like

wow that seem pretty cool...so exactly what kind of book is this gonna be?? jut tell people all about disney or kinda like a guide book? i wonder when it will be coming out!...
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really cool

I love that Zagat did this book and can't wait to see it. I was surprised by a few things, though.

First, that Epcot was so far ahead of MGM for 2nd fave park. I knew MK would be first, but I thought MGM would be higher than 9%. To add to that, I was surprised that basically none of the Epcot restaurants made the top ten(especially considering the numbers for Epcot in that fave park category)! My personal top ten is almost entirely Epcot: 9 Dragons, Garden Grill, San Angel, Coral Reef, Le Cellier. We get Park Hopper just so we can go eat at Epcot! LOL.

I'm not surprised that RNRC and ToT were among the top rides, but I was surprised, as other posts have said, that no classics cracked the top few slots. Maybe we're just so used to Pirates and small world that we forget about them when asked.

Still very cool!
    That's not funny! And I know funny! I'm a clown fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy if I see one.

I wonder, how did they find you guys to participate in it? Just a random phone sample to find people who had been to Disney over a certain number of times?

I also wonder how much they broke down the information, because some of it could be misleading. For instance, Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides but I've been on it way less than TTA, simply because there is never any line for TTA. That should not mean that TTA is "more popular" than ToT.

Similarly, I'm sure far more people eat at Old Port Royale's food court than most other hotel quick service spots. That doesn't mean it's more popular, it's just because more people stay there.

Then again, I took one class in polling (political polling at that) and Zagat is known the world over for this kind of stuff, so I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm just curious as to where they get their numbers.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I was part of the survey!! How'd you all get involved?
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I do not even remember!!
    Tigerlilly
    Mommy to Parker and Laurie
    First - July 1979
    Most Recent - POFQ, April 29th 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I actually picked up this book when I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday LOL I scanned through it quickly (DD was with me) and put it back down. Ha! I'd never heard anyone here mention it, so I figured it couldn't be very good. Little did I know it was brand spankin' new!

It's the same size as their regualar issues--long and slender. Not too thick. Nothing really jumped out at me while I was looking at it (and I really did only give it a quick glance), but I thought the print was pretty small.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Default the term 'popularity' can be misleading

"Zagat also asked each person how often they had been to each location, to determine what was most "popular."
    If this article is correct, then Zagat's popularity ratings were exclusively decided by the number of times a location was visited. It is natural then that MK would be the "most popular", followed by Epcot, then MGM, and then AK, because this was the order in which the parks opened! AK has certainly seen the fewest visitors, and MK certainly the most. Is that the true measure of popularity though?

cgriff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool - I actually participated and I actually received an email a couple of months ago confirming my address so they could send my free copy for participating. I was wondering when this would finally come out. Can't wait!
    October 1982 Days Lodge
    February 1992 Holiday Inn
    October 2001 Clarion Maingate
    April 2003 Wilderness Lodge
    March 2006 Caribe Royale Resort
    September 2006 Pop Century
    January 2012 Windsor Hills
    January 2014 Santa Cruz (Off-site) Marathon Weekend / Marathon Participant!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Zagat survey on Disney

This is cool! I can't wait to read it. Sounds like a fun read.

Post Thanks / Like

A few months back, when I entered MK, I was asked to take part in a survey about the park. It was just left of Guest Relations. It doesn't sound like that was the same thing as this. How did you guys become part of this survey?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: