Quantcast Stay Classy America....NOT! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how to address this thread. Everyone is different.

I will say things change over the years in society. Long hair was unthinkable in the 50's. Now you see long hair, pink hair, etc.

People would have never lived together outside of marriage years ago. Now it's common.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. Things change. 80 years ago the only people who cruised or took vacations on a plane were filthy rich. But they were dressed formally at all times. I wouldn't want to do that anytime.

Bottom line-- society never stands still. Some people like the changes and some people don't. It's always been that way and always will.

Personally, I'm on vacation and I would rather not dress up. I'll wear nice shorts and decent shirts but I wear suits when I visit clients or go to church, and that's enough for me.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Everyone does realize Disney is relaxing the dress code merely for profit reasons just like they do everything else don't you? The upscale restaurants probably weren't turning a good profit.

I am sure they did some market research and discovered that people were avoiding the upscale restaurants due to the dress code. They were probably fielding complaints from some guests who actually adhered to the dress code about those who were being allowed in even though they were not dressed accordingly.

Simple solution to solve both problems.....relax the dress code. It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.
    i wasn't going to comment on this topic anymore after my last post, but i just have too how is this a profit thing? the price for the cruise is paid up front and varies on price depending on room choice, date, and transfers so how is making people go to the 3 themed resturants profit driven? if your talking tips that's for the wait staff and you get charged tip irreagardless if you go or don't and ya you can change it and make up your own mind for a tip but again that's a tip so i ask how is this profit driven? i said b4 in a previous post if you wanna dress up do so if not don't but on FORMAL night dress up don't go in tee shirts and shorts as a few tables did on our last cruise, or go to the great quick service they offer. now this is my final post on this topic

Victor

P.S. A Septmeber cruise is coming and me and dw can't wait
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    i wasn't going to comment on this topic anymore after my last post, but i just have too how is this a profit thing? the price for the cruise is paid up front and varies on price depending on room choice, date, and transfers so how is making people go to the 3 themed resturants profit driven? if your talking tips that's for the wait staff and you get charged tip irreagardless if you go or don't and ya you can change it and make up your own mind for a tip but again that's a tip so i ask how is this profit driven? i said b4 in a previous post if you wanna dress up do so if not don't but on FORMAL night dress up don't go in tee shirts and shorts as a few tables did on our last cruise, or go to the great quick service they offer. now this is my final post on this topic

Victor

P.S. A Septmeber cruise is coming and me and dw can't wait
    Simple, if you have a restaurant that isn't being sufficiently utilized; you are still paying staff and overhead and thus losing profit. Also, the other restaurants could benefit from not being overwhelmed so much during peak hours which would improve guest satisfaction. Additionally, I would assume there is an upcharge of some sort for the upscale dining versus the other dining options so they would like to herd as many people as possible through the higher priced restaurants to make more profit.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone does realize Disney is relaxing the dress code merely for profit reasons just like they do everything else don't you? The upscale restaurants probably weren't turning a good profit.

I am sure they did some market research and discovered that people were avoiding the upscale restaurants due to the dress code. They were probably fielding complaints from some guests who actually adhered to the dress code about those who were being allowed in even though they were not dressed accordingly.

Simple solution to solve both problems.....relax the dress code. It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.
    Except the relaxed dress code applies to only the main dining rooms. The upscale specialty restaurants (Palo and Remy) have a stricter dress code (see Natalie's post quoted below).

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Just to clarify, a Jacket is not required at Palo, only Remy. And, if you don't have one, they will make you "borrow" one. They are dead serious about this at Remy.

Palo requires at LEAST a "dress shirt" for men, which, in their eyes, is a shirt with a collar.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Simple, if you have a restaurant that isn't being sufficiently utilized; you are still paying staff and overhead and thus losing profit. Also, the other restaurants could benefit from not being overwhelmed so much during peak hours which would improve guest satisfaction. Additionally, I would assume there is an upcharge of some sort for the upscale dining versus the other dining options so they would like to herd as many people as possible through the higher priced restaurants to make more profit.

boy your making eat my words here on being a last post lol, have you been on a Disney Cruise? dinners are situated in 2 seating's over 3 restaurant's, and again this is included in price when you pay for the cruise, the upscale restaurant's s that you mention are Palo and Remy and yes Palo is $20 per person and Remy $75 but these are adult only restaurant's and are done only if you decide to do them. in other words were not paying to eat at Animators Pallete , Enchanted Garden or Royal Court, these are included in the price that's where were paying. Believe me Disney isn't losing any profits here i believe that DCL did over $12 million in profits last year.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

I understand why they relaxed the code, though I’m not crazy about it. I’m sure that the people posting here who like this change will have you and your kids dressed in nice shorts that are neat and the appropriate length. Sadly, there will probably be many more that will not and they or their kids will wear shorts that are too short or have writing across the backside, as well as inappropriate t-shirts.
    This is why I would love for the dress code to be enforced or more clearly defined at signature restaurants at WDW. We eat most of our dinners at signature or resort restaurants (non-buffet) at WDW and the way some people dress is awful. Even if you are coming in from one of the parks, how hard is it for you to take 5 minutes and look over your clothes in a restroom to make sure you and/or your clothes are neat, clean and fit correctly? I think that having people who look as I just described in a nice restaurant or dining room do take something away from the dining experience. This is my fear with the new dress code for DCL.
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I think in any setting you have 3 types of people

1) ABSOLUTLY MUST DRESS FOR EVERYTHING
    2) WILL DRESS IS ASKED TO
    3) COULD CARELESS

1 is always going to be dressed to the 9's were ever they go.
    2 are only going to dress up if there is a need or written policy.
    3 are always going to show up in whatever they "feel" like wearing and not care what the rule or code is

I say this is never going to 100% change. So ya know what don't stress your night or event worrying about what other people look like. To some the way they dress up is the right way according to their life style.

Just remember everyone's money is green and their credit cards plastic, so if they have that then they can be in whatever environments they choose and enjoy their meal just like the rest of us. Even in shorts and a t-shirt.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.
    I agree with you. We had always followed the dress code and saw others didn't. That along with the problem of over packing and paying for airline baggage, I was going to let everyone wear sneakers and jeans this time. So glad it was relaxed.

One Note.....I can't find the relaxed dress code on the DCL web site. Is this a fact or a rumor?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

boy your making eat my words here on being a last post lol, have you been on a Disney Cruise? dinners are situated in 2 seating's over 3 restaurant's, and again this is included in price when you pay for the cruise, the upscale restaurant's s that you mention are Palo and Remy and yes Palo is $20 per person and Remy $75 but these are adult only restaurant's and are done only if you decide to do them. in other words were not paying to eat at Animators Pallete , Enchanted Garden or Royal Court, these are included in the price that's where were paying. Believe me Disney isn't losing any profits here i believe that DCL did over $12 million in profits last year.

Victor

A lot of people I know refuse to cruise, especially with kids, because they don't want to dress up for dinner, so I do think Disney maybe doing this to up their profits....Plus it was not possible to enforce. Were they going to turn away families for dinner for having shorts on.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    A lot of people I know refuse to cruise, especially with kids, because they don't want to dress up for dinner, so I do think Disney maybe doing this to up their profits....Plus it was not possible to enforce. Were they going to turn away families for dinner for having shorts on.
    I wish they would if the shorts are not appropriate for a dining room. As I said this is my issue with the rumored change. I want the rules to clearly define what sort of shorts are appropriate, because sadly there are people in this world who do not understand that. As my parents used to tell us, make rules/instructions clear because if you give people an inch, they'll take a mile.
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    (Edit by mod) It doesn't matter if you go to the restaurants or stay in your stateroom Disney Cruise Line has already profited when you paid for your cruise. The extra profit comes from the specialty drinks/alcohol and excursions that you purchase. your not paying your server at the end of the meal as you would if you went Applebees's.
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

(Edit by mod) It doesn't matter if you go to the restaurants or stay in your stateroom Disney Cruise Line has already profited when you paid for your cruise. The extra profit comes from the specialty drinks/alcohol and excursions that you purchase. your not paying your server at the end of the meal as you would if you went Applebees's.
    I don't think there's any reason to be rude. As far as profits--yes, you pay for the cruise up front, but there may be a fair number of people (like me) who would not book a cruise, knowing that a dress code required them to "dress up' to go to dinner. However, with a more relaxed dress code, I might be more inclined to book that cruise and increase Disney's profits. Even if they made $12 million in revenue last year, when has that ever stopped Disney from wanting more???
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to be rude. As far as profits--yes, you pay for the cruise up front, but there may be a fair number of people (like me) who would not book a cruise, knowing that a dress code required them to "dress up' to go to dinner. However, with a more relaxed dress code, I might be more inclined to book that cruise and increase Disney's profits. Even if they made $12 million in revenue last year, when has that ever stopped Disney from wanting more???
    1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. now as far as not booking a cruise because of a dress codes is silly to me (IMHO) and as far as i know Disney Cruises are usuallly pretty full ,have you done a Disney Cruise? as i stated in previous posts Disney isn't holding a gun to anyone's head saying you eat at this restaurant or else, last March me and dw did a short 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up for dinner so guess what?? we did the next best thing, we ate at the quick service instead and had the whole ocean to look at as well. i know i know no need to be rude right? i guess trying to make a point is considered rude? cruising is terrific and a Disney Cruise is beyond terrific, you should give it a try.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. now as far as not booking a cruise because of a dress codes is silly to me (IMHO) and as far as i know Disney Cruises are usuallly pretty full ,have you done a Disney Cruise? as i stated in previous posts Disney isn't holding a gun to anyone's head saying you eat at this restaurant or else, last March me and dw did a short 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up for dinner so guess what?? we did the next best thing, we ate at the quick service instead and had the whole ocean to look at as well. i know i know no need to be rude right? i guess trying to make a point to people who have no concept on how cruises work is considered rude
    What I was referring to was the tone of your opening statement and then following it up with another remark in all caps. It's fine to make a point, but isn't it possible to respect other posters' points of view too?

I don't think having been on a Disney cruise per se is a requirement to have an opinion or even working knowledge about them. Most cruise companies operate in a similar fashion, as far dining options, dress code, etc. And I guarantee you, if Disney thinks they can expand their market (as in attract more casual cruisers) and build more ships and make more money, then that's exactly what they're going to do.

You're certainly entitled to your feelings about the new dress code (if it does exist--it sounds like there is some doubt). There are other cruise lines out there who adhere to a stricter dress code; that's might be an option for those who feel strongly about the issue.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post

I don't think having been on a Disney cruise per se is a requirement to have an opinion or even working knowledge about them.
    Actually that is part of the problem. If you have never been on a DCL ship and experienced it - your opinion is based on what? What you would want? What you would do? Basically you have no clue and are basing your opinion on “here-say”. Working knowledge is like text book smarts...has nothing to do with real world situations or how things actually go down.

I'll stand by Victor on this one.

Far as NOT wanting to take a cruise because of the "dress code"? REALLY! Sorry - I call BS. Yea, that's a PA thing...

If you really want to take the cruise take it. Don't let what you think or claim is holding you back - dress code - hold you back. There are PLENTY of places on board the Disney ships to eat. Many buffets that you can take advantage of... and IF you don't want to sit down in a more formal restaurant, seems most don't that are complaining about the dress code, then call your head server and YES you can have your food from the fancier restaurant delivered RIGHT TO YOUR STATE ROOM and you can sit in your underwear and eat if you want.

So - what's the excuse now? Ya' I'm being sarcastic...

Some want it both ways…I want to eat at the fancier places but I don’t want to obey the rules and use my manners or act civilized. Actually that is what is wrong with America these days. Shame most feel it’s their privilege and absolute right to do as they wish. No – no it’s not. So let’s all take it out on DCL, heck they should have never even thought folks may want to play dress up of sorts and have a nice meal where your every wish is delivered.

NAWWWW – let’me just has my ice cream in my coffee stained shorts and wrinkled shirt with washed out inappropriate logo on the back while I gnaw on my steak…
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Moderaror Alert!!

This is clearly a subjective and controversial issue , but let's remember to keep our debate friendly please and abide by INTERCOT'S terms of service.

Thank you!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    Actually that is part of the problem. If you have never been on a DCL ship and experienced it - your opinion is based on what? What you would want? What you would do? Basically you have no clue and are basing your opinion on “here-say”. Working knowledge is like text book smarts...has nothing to do with real world situations or how things actually go down.

I'll stand by Victor on this one.

Far as NOT wanting to take a cruise because of the "dress code"? REALLY! Sorry - I call **. Yea, that's a PA thing...
    Whatever the "thing", what I said is the truth--I truly do not like dressing up while on vacation and that, along with other factors mentioned previously is what keeps me from going on cruises as much as some other people do. On that note, I have been on six cruises in my time, the last being in January of this year. That last cruise just reinforced my feeling that it's not my preferred mode of vacationing. As I said, all major cruise lines operate in a similar manner and have similar policies and DCL is no different. So not totally operating on hearsay.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Don't misinterpret my meaning...I respect everyones views.

But how many here who have provided an opinion on this somewhat touchy subject have actually cruised on DCL before throwing their thoughts around? Is it more than 1/2? Or less? That is one of my points - what are the strong opinions based on?

Did anyone even take advantage of having your food delivered to your stateroom? Not room service mind you.

Rules are rules. I said it in an earlier post - IF they change them, like the no smoking on the veranda - FINE. Guess we'll see what comes of the dress code. I have no qualms with the rules. I'm all for playing along with whatever DCL decides.

IF more cruise based on a more lax dress code...FINE too. Thus far all our cruises were booked and no upgrades were available. We were told the ship was at capacity each time via the signage posted at the guest relations desk/area. Which tells me that DCL is a money maker and has no issues filling ships.

JUST ENJOY IT!

And I do hope those who didn't want to cruise based on clothes try it. SURE it may not be for everyone - the ship life, I didn't think I'd like it. BUT 1/2 day on our first DCL voyage and I knew we had made a mistake and not booked a longer one.

THANKS!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Do you realize you are getting upset over CLOTHES!!! Does it really matter what I wear to eat my DINNER!! Really!! Simmer down its just dinner. If you tell me people in shorts and t-shirts are throwing the food or making a scene then maybe you have a point, BUT this is just about what people wear to eat their dinner. Does it really matter that much? Are you really going to lose sleep over it in your $1,000 plus stateroom? I THINK it should be a "Mind UR Own" code/policy as in mind your own business about what other people are doing on their VACATION!!! If you want to dress up then go for it and have a great time just keep your eyes on your own plate and you will enjoy the meal a lot more then nit picking at what others are wearing.. Man WHAT has this world come to when you can’t sit a table for a meal without someone worrying about your clothes. Pretty sad if you ask me. And yes I have cruised before and dressed up, only to dress back down to comfort after the meal I hope no one lost sleep over it..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope sorry…

It’s about rules.
    Like speed limits.
    Like texting while driving.
    Like smoking in non-designated areas.
    Like driving while under the influence.
    The list goes on and on...

ALL matter. It’s a pattern displayed – that is by those who don’t follow rules.

Hope this simple example allows it to be seen in a different light and I am in the boundaries of this boards discussion by-laws.

Nothing personal - only meant as a spirited debate.

It’s not about being right or wrong.

It’s about rules.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: