Quantcast Victoria and Albert's bans children under age 10 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is an appropriate policy.

I wouldn't mind seeing it expanded to a few other locations.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is very interesting. I totally agree with the ban on children. After spending all day in the parks surrounded by screaming kids and having my ankles hit by baby strollers I would welcome a quiet evening alone with my DH or adult DD. I wouldn't go to a place like V&A's. Seems to stuffy to me. I don't think I even own proper enough clothes to go there. I just think it's ridulous to spend that kind of money on food, and three hours to sit around and eat??? Never.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PattySwind View Post
    I just think it's ridulous to spend that kind of money on food, and three hours to sit around and eat??? Never.
    To each his own.

Be nice, and don't put people down who do enjoy a gourmet meal. Just because you don't appreciate it, doesn't make it ridiculous.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Remember people are very touchy here.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think the policy is completely within bounds. In today's world, there are too many parents who don't parent and allow kids to do whatever they want, whereever they want and feel children should be allowed to do everything they want. Sometimes society (or a corporation) has to set very specific rules and limits so that those folks who may not have a lot of common sense don't ruin experiences for others. Kids can't drive, can't smoke, can't drink alcohol--all rules some parents would/do discount if they feel like it. Having one very expensive, very gourmet restaurant deemed adults only does not seem too restrictive to me. If you have kids, eat somewhere else. If you really want to eat at V&A's, get a sitter or wait (another concept lost on a lot of today's society) til they are older and would appreciate it. Hope I do not offend anyone, just an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little afraid to post my opinion, but here goes. I am not sure what the big deal is with 1 very nice, fancy restaurant asking that children not be allowed to eat there. There are several rides that children are not allowed because they are too young. This is just one more place to add to the list. The children are not being deprived, there are other restaurants to eat in. As a parent of 2 active children, I understand the need to get away from noise and have a relaxing dinner without any young ones around. So, that's my
    Everybody has a Laughing Place, a Laughing Place to go oh oh. Take that frown and turn it upside down, and you'll find yours we know oh oh.

Post Thanks / Like

Respect everyone's opinions here- it is my opinion that there are some children that can and do enjoy that kind of dining experience-usually children of the parents that can afford the amount of money. Personally, I would never spend that kind of $$$ on a dinner when there are hungry people- and that kind of $$ for alcohol and food could feed several hungry families including children. I just can't ever justify ever spending that amount no matter what the "special adults only" occassion may be. That being said, Disney is for children-go to adults only resort if you don't want to be around kids both good and misbehaved!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I would or wouldn't spend the money (provided I actually HAD it to spend...Disney trips are always on a budget for me)...

I did take my parents out to a nice steak house around town (Ruth Cris). My DS had just turned 11. He didn't need a jacket but he did wear nice dress pants and a dress shirt. He ordered the Lobster and really enjoyed all the posh attention from the wait staff (and of course the gushing from Grandma)...It was indeed a very "nice" experience. My parents really felt special (it was their 50th anniversary). It was very expensive. But...I could easily see how someone could be quite PLEASED with the experience. Although my DS enjoyed it and totally relished the lobster...I know he would have preferred some ribs at Texas Roadhouse wearing jeans. So age 10 and up...sounds rather fair.

IF I had the money would I do it....Would I splurge on a night at V&A...hmmm...that IF I had the money part is sorta holding me back from a decision...but definately NOT if my DS was too young to "appreciate" it. It's hard to "justify" the $$ for me but then I really just don't have it.

But too...compare staying at the POP verses staying at the Grand Floridian. If you have the money and the true desire...a dream is a wish your heart makes.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    To each his own.

Be nice, and don't put people down who do enjoy a gourmet meal. Just because you don't appreciate it, doesn't make it ridiculous.
    Exactly...to each their own. I don't put people down for NOT spending money, why is it ok for people to comment on how I spend mind? Eating out, trying new restaurants, wine...those are all hobbies for me and my DH. Just like going to Disney multiple times a year, scrapbooking, restoring cars, playing video games are for other people. I don't fault anybody for what they choose to spend their money on...except maybe video games. LOL That's just because I'm really bad at them! The best thing about the world is people can do what they please with their own money and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it that people find a posters free expression of their opinion a personal attack? I think you might find my thread in the Water Cooler helpful.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=123495
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    To each his own.

No personal attacks were made, so your comment is slightly out of line. To flip the coin, the same could be said that you're putting people down that would prefer not to spend $300 on a meal. Just because we would prefer not to, doesn't mean we don't 'appreciate' a gourmet meal.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert

Okay, everyone, I want both sides of this discussion to take a breath. The attacks from both ends are getting a bit heated. There isn't a right or wrong to this discussion, just opinion. Let's all remember that.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Well, now that I gave my moderator warning, let me give my opinion. I think this is a good policy. While WDW does market to families, it does a lot of marketing as a honeymoon destination as well. The place big colorful ads in bridal magazines toting how "romantic" WDW can be. Couples strolling along the beach at the Poly or GF, enjoying a cabana at the GF pool, playing a round of golf and having a romantic candlelit dinner. There isn't one child in any of these photographs. What WDW is trying to sell is that you do not have to always do things for kids; that you can combine the 2 things into a WDW vacation. It allows for the best of both worlds.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I'd share my opinion as well, which is...I guess that I don't really have one! V&A's just is not a place where I'd ever want to dine, but especially on vacation. First, I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on a dinner - I tend to be too practical that way (I can just see myself sitting there thinking "Do you know how many pairs of shoes I could have gotten for this money??" ) And, I'm not the type that wants to get dressed up on vacation! We all have different ideas of vacations and what we hope to get out of them and V&A's isn't it.....for us! But, I think it's wonderful that they have the experience for people that will truly enjoy it. Now that being said, it just doesn't seem to me to be a place I'd want to bring my child - and again, especially on vacation. When we go to WDW it's for the atmosphere - but the Chef Mickey's, Whispering Canyon, 50's Prime Time Cafe atmosphere - things that truly make us feel like we're in Disney and not places that are similar to what we have at home. If we want to go to a fancy restaurant, Mike and I can go into NYC and have our pick of them - it's just not something I want to do on vacation (and again - that's just us). I think some children could handle it, some couldn't. And Conor actually could - we've been going out to dinner (often! ) since he was an infant so it's not a new or overwhelming experience for him. And we are always prepared - check the back of my car and you'll find "the backpack" - the one with books, crayons, paper, markers, packages of goldfish, wet one's - you name it! But, bottom line, though it's not our choice, I think having 1 adult only option at WDW is a great choice for many others that go to Disney.

I think part of the problem for me is the use of the word "banned". As a parent, I think it's in my nature to want my son to be able to experience a wide variety of things - and knowing he is banned from someplace, well, feels personal. But, I truly understand why they are doing it and I think it's a great option for diners, especially those that want the experience that V&A offers to them. But, constantly reading the word "banned" does grate on me a little.
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I have kids and I stayed at home to raise them. I do NOT think the parks should go "adult only" ever.

I DO however, think that an adult only restaurant is a great idea.
    I dined in Palo on the ship with my DH, DSis and her DH. our other sis watched the kids,
    ( I too would not leave them with a stranger hundreds of miles from home.)

There has to be some place for the adults to go to wine and dine loved ones without kids around. IT is a magical place for Everyone!
    I don't think the kids would mind being excluded from having to dress up fancy on vacation.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are this:

1.) it's only one restaurant out of hundreds- and one that is waaaaay out of my price bracket anywhoo (I don't care how good it is! ). With all the other choices there for a nice dining experience, I won't miss out by not being able to take my whole family in there for another 6 years (and even then, it's highly unlikely).

2.) i would be absolutely SHOCKED that there would be even one child out there that would have their vacation day ruined because they weren't going to be allowed into a place where they had to sit still, talk quietly, and act like a grown-up.

3.) if Disney says that only about three families per month were bringing young children in, and still they invoked a ban- well, then that should tell you what kind of behavior other patrons were exposed to thrice monthly.

4.) WDW is a business. There's no way they went into this lightly. For all the people who are upset by this, I would imagine there is at least one other who will now dine there that wouldn't have before. And many more who don't care either way.

Next up: November 2014
    DH, DS12, DS11, DD4, DD3, and me- along with my two sisters and their hubbies, ten nieces and nephews, my parents and MIL! As my youngest girlie says, "Yee-HAW!"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an opinion about this either way. It's unfortunate for some children, but not for most, and I don't think it will really bother those few children that would have enjoyed a restaurant like that. Out of all of my children, I think there is only one who would enjoy eating here. He's the only adventurous eater in the family. He's 16 now, but he would've been able to act appropriately when he was younger than 10. But, the good of the one must be sacrificed for the good of the many, and he thoroughly enjoys a more relaxed atmosphere too. In fact, his request is to go back to Whispering Canyon Cafe.

If I lived in Orlando, my DH & I might go to V&A's on a date some nights, but while I'm on vacation, I'm not sure that I would want to spend 3 hours eating while I could be spending it riding Pirates or Splash.

On our next trip, I want an adults-only night with a "romantic" dinner at a table by the water in the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot. Will there be children there? Yes. Will they be misbehaving? It's a possibility. But it won't be my kids that I'll have to worry about, so it probably won't bother me. If it's way out of hand and is bothering us, we'll just say something to the kid and/or parents (depending on the age).

I find it astonishing that so many people have no problems with voicing their opinions on here, but wouldn't say something to a child and/or parents of a child who was acting inappropriately. It takes a village to raise a child.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

DH saw this on the AP the other day and was very smug that he knew something Disney that I didn't. LOL

Anyway, I think it is a good decision. I would be livid to go there and have to deal with a screaming baby.

Oh, and to the previous poster, Villages get beaten, villified, slandered and sued over trying to raise other peoples children nowadays -- even here on Intercot! No matter how nicely it is done, things can get ugly quickly. People are weird about their kids....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with this policy, but wish it would extend to other restaurants too. Not everyone can afford a V&A meal. My bf and I are college students - no way could we afford a meal in the hundreds of dollars! I think if they don't want to make any more adults only restaurants, they should have "adults only nights" at certain restaurants (ones that are more affordable than V&A). It doesn't seem fair that to get away from kids for a while, you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a meal. It only allows rich people the luxury of a quiet adult meal.

I also love the idea of an "Adults Only" day at the parks! But again, that will probably never happen. They should at least occasionally have a few hours after park closing that are for adults only. Kind of like EMH for adults!

Disney bills itself as a vacation for everyone and claims that a romantic vacation can be had at WDW. It's about time they start putting that into action!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    Oh, and to the previous poster, Villages get beaten, villified, slandered and sued over trying to raise other peoples children nowadays -- even here on Intercot! No matter how nicely it is done, things can get ugly quickly. People are weird about their kids....
    I've known that to happen, but I don't let it stop me. What's right is right. The last time I had a rude parent berate me for interfering with their child was when a 3-year-old ran out in front of my van while I was driving down the street - no adults around. His older brother (about 5) came running up to get him. We had a nice walk up to their house, so I could speak to their parents. We discussed how you need to watch for cars before entering the street. The parents of course yelled at me - apparently in their opinion I needed to pay more attention while driving down the road. In my opinion, of course, they needed to pay more attention to where their small children were. After a while, they calmed down and I found out that just a little while before we showed up they had discovered the kids were missing and were panicking. So, sometimes that anger is just a temporarily misplaced emotion. And, if it's not, at least the kids have heard/seen/been modeled in someway what is appropriate behavior.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: