Quantcast Hubby requires Hire Car Insurance Tips!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Hello all

We would like to know if there are any additional hiring costs upon arriving in America. We are in the process of finding the best deal but have been warned that the hire companys may try to sell extra insurance that wont actually be required.
    Can any of you tell us what we should expect to be paying for and what, in your experience, we might be 'advised' to purchase once arriving??
    Thank you for any information.
    PS Is there any way we can find out which hire companys are onsite at Sanford Airport?
    First ever visit: 10-24th May 2003 ASMovies.<br /> <br />'Whatever floats your boat!'

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with your insurance company before you leave, but it should cover you and a rental car. The rental car companies will try to push extra insurance, car upgrades and others things on you at the last moment. Just say "no thanks". [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Not sure about the insurance coverage since you're from the UK, but hopefully another international traveler will chime in with more details about that soon.

As far as the Rental Car companies at Sanford airport:

On airport property:
    Avis Rent a Car - 407-585-4420 or 1-800-831-2847
    Alamo Rent a Car - 407-328-4315 or 1-800-327-9633
    Dollar Rent a Car - 407-324-1314 or 1-800-423-4704
    Hertz - 407-324-4745 or 1-800-654-3131

Off-site via shuttle:
    Budget Rent a Car - 407-850-6749 (reservations),
    407-322-1200 (local) or 1-800-527-0700
    Enterprise Rent a Car - 407-330-3733 or 1-800-736-8222

Hope this helps!
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Thank you very much for the information

[img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    First ever visit: 10-24th May 2003 ASMovies.<br /> <br />'Whatever floats your boat!'

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in the insurance business for 10 years, so I feel confident in telling you that you should just confirm with your current auto insurance carrier that they will cover you in a rental overseas (not all of them will). Assuming they do, DO NOT purchase any of the additional insurance the rental car companies offer.

This is the biggest scam going. Your own auto insurance covers you in a rental just like it does any other car. The rental car companies will tell you that if your losses while driving one of their vehicles exceed the liability limits on your policy you will be personally responsible for making up the difference, but this is nothing new. You're at the exact same risk level driving your own car.

Most people carry up to $300,000 in liability coverage on their auto insurance (the maximum most companies offer) and that's usually MORE than enough to cover any losses you have.

Just take a minute to confirm that you're covered and then politely decline all the "extras" they offer you.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are some insurances you will need going from the UK. The most economical way is to prepay in the UK before you go as a number of the companies will do all inclusive rates of what UK travellers need. For information on Alamo rates you can do a lot worse than go to Trailfinders (they advertise in lots of the UK newspapers). There is also a gold rate that is worthwhile if you are planning on more than one driver, otherwise just go for a basic package.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone that you should check w/your own insurance company before leaving, just to make sure.

The one "nuance" to FL rental is that they try to sell you insurance (in addition to the regular stuff) that covers their "loss of use" clause. It's HORRIBLY overpriced and is supposed to cover you in case the rental company is not able to use the car for a period after an accident.

My insurance agent said he knew all about it and told me not to buy any additional insurance, and if they tried to sock them/me with this "loss of use clause" that the Ins. Company would insist that they had prove that NO other vehicles available to use. He seemed to be very familiar with the clause.

The last time I rented, and hadn't checked w/my agent before hand, I got scared (which is exactly what they try to do) and purchased the insurance, and it made my inexpensive rental ($156.00 for a week) into a VERY expensive rental @ $400.00 for the week!

Never again.
    Cathy in Northern VA
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2005 - ASM
    2005 - Disneyland
    2004 - DCL - Wonder
    2004 - Coronado Springs
    2003 - CBR
    2002 - POFQ & ASM
    2001 - CBR
    2001 - Disneyland
    2000 - Coronado Springs
    1999/8/7 - Fort Wilderness (RV)
    1986 - Off-Site
    1959 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by CLJ in VA:
    The last time I rented, and hadn't checked w/my agent before hand, I got scared (which is exactly what they try to do) and purchased the insurance, and it made my inexpensive rental ($156.00 for a week) into a VERY expensive rental @ $400.00 for the week!
    Yep ... same thing happened to me the first time I rented a car on my own (and before I started working for an insurance company). They nailed me for like 3 different kinds of insurance after a VERY high pressure sales push. This was Hertz and I've never rented with them again. None of the other companies I go with EVER have given me as much static about not taking the insurance. I usually go with either Budget or Dollar.

The bottom line for U.S. resident drivers is that you are at no more risk driving a rental car than you are driving your own. Don't pay the money for the extra insurance. It's a complete waste and protects only the rental car company, not you.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I cant believe that no one mentioned your Credit Card.

Most reputable Credit Card companies have automatic car rental insurance. Call you Credit Card company to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all

Thanks again
    WDWacky,
    The bottom line for U.S. resident drivers is that you are at no more risk driving a rental car than you are driving your own.
    Just checking that all you wrote would still apply as we are in the UK??
    We have a done a search on Expedia and come up with a pretty good deal......in the detailed rules it said something about super cdw and super theft protection ...i assume this is a scam as well? (assuming that we're covered for overseas car rental that is)

A Big Kid
    I cant believe that no one mentioned your Credit Card.

Most reputable Credit Card companies have automatic car rental insurance. Call you Credit Card company to find out.
    Our credit card is in my name primarily,my hubby is an additional cardholder but he is the one who will be driving (not me! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ) Does this make a difference or does this vary from credit card to credit card?
    Also what about the florida surcharge of couple dollars per day or whatever it was......is that paid regardless of which insurance/car hire you take?

Post Thanks / Like

WDWacky is absolutely right as far as US drivers go. It is similar to European cover for us - usually you just tell the insurer and they give you a green card. It is NOT the same going to America from the UK. If you are in any doubt contact your insurer and credit card issuer but I strongly suspect you will find that neither offer any support for UK drivers in USA.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: