Quantcast Taking Kids Out of School - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

DH and I had planned on taking DS's to WDW in October of 2003 but our plans recently changed. I was shocked by the curriculum and the amount of homework that my sons have in the 1st grade. We felt that by 3rd grade, missing a full week of school could be disastrous. We opted to go this year, in early June from a Thursday to a Tuesday. This way, they will not miss a full week of the curriculum. Their teachers have been very supportive and at least one of them will not give any homework but will allow one son to do a writing assignment about the trip. We have purchased disposable cameras and journals for them to utilize. Each one will be expected to present a report to the class when we return.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Melanie - some further thoughts. We met a family while having lunch at Epcot who had their kids in a private school which had 3 wks vacation each March! They would bring their RV and would stay at FW. And, a friend in California has a more extended school year. Their back in school in August, but their vacations tend to be off peak from other folks. I know there's alot of discussion about extending school years in various cities - so who knows? In 10 years we may all have some shifts in schedules!
    MinnieMav
    PC, Hard Rock, Poly - March 05
    BCV, GF & AKL - Feb 04
    BCV & VWL - March 03
    Wilderness Lodge - March 02
    Wyndham DD Area - March 02

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I took my kids out for 2 weeks in 2000 and will be doing it again next year. You can always ask for homework in advance, or perhaps they can do extra work before you go. In my opinion, the kids get an education going away also. Look at all they see and learn! Travel and experiencing life outside the classroom is important also...and they really don't miss that much!
    The crowds in off season are so much better and I think this makes the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone. If you are flying, look at all that time you will have on the plane and in the airport for your child to maybe do a little math homework!!! (if he can get his mind off being excited that is! LOL!) [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from WDW at Easter Week with very heavy crowds, and although I would welcome a trip during the "off season", I do not think I would take DD out of school for a vacation. If you do decide to take kids out of school, I would suggest checking with the school, not just the teacher, as soon as possible. Some schools have requirements about number of days of attendance in order to advance to the next grade. Although your child's individual teacher may be willng to give you assignments in advance, be sure you know what the school's policy (or the school district's policy) is regarding vacations.
    Adrienne (wishiwasthere), because I always wish I was there. . .<br /><br />It all started with a mouse<br /><br />God Bless the USA<br /><br />Polynesian/Contemporary, April 2002<br />SOG, November 1997<br />Offsite 1993 (honeymoon)<br />Offsite 1986

Post Thanks / Like

For a question like this, I tend to think more of the big picture than the details -- i.e., is it worth the trouble of the kids missing school(figuring out school schedules, working with teachers, getting homework, etc.) to take them to WDW?

Though we don't have kids yet, my husband and I agree that it is worth it to take the kids out of school. Sure, you'll encounter differing levels of cooperation (or not) depending on your school system (and the teachers in it), but if you're determined, you'll find a way. At least, that's the way my parents always viewed it -- they had to cut through a lot of school admin. red tape to even take us out of school for the afternoon to attend a play or concert. I know their "if we're determined, we'll make it happen" view has definitely been passed down to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wanted to write about something that Marlyn touched upon -- the educational value of a trip to WDW. It's all about something called experiential education, or informal learning (which I am a big fan of). It's the kind of learning you get in a hands-on science center, or a place like WDW. Even beginning with the trip down, your kids are learning -- experiencing travel, whether on a plane, train, or in a car, and watching how their parents interact can teach them how to be savvy travelers. 'Course, once you get to WDW, there is so much for them to learn, from what hydroponic gardening is, to how to be patient when waiting in line to ride Pooh. [img]smile.gif[/img] My brother and I learned so much on trips to WDW without really realizing we were learning anything -- and, we always came back from WDW trips knowing all sorts of things we wouldn't necessarily learn in school. It's funny that so many people think of Epcot as the park that's least accessible to kids, while I don't think that's true at all. My brother and I always liked it the best, perhaps because we did learn so many "neat" things just by being there.

I know not everyone agrees with my opinion that it's OK to pull kids out of school for a Disney trip -- to each his own. Everyone has to do what's right for their kids and for their family. But, in my own humble opinion, WDW is perhaps the best vacation a family can take together -- it's fun, it's entertaining, it's imaginative, and it's educational in both obvious and not-so-obvious ways. I'm not saying it is a better educational experience than school, just one that is equally important for kids to have (and one that's worth missing a bit of school).
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I'll speak as a former (for almost 20 years) high school principal. It is a hassle to have students gone from school. It can be difficult for students to make up the work missed. In a perfect world, nobody would be absent. All that said, take the kids out and have your vacation! I operated on the following priorities

God, Family, School, Job, Activities. In otherwords, Religious activities and Family Activities come before school. That being said, reason also needs to be part of the picture. Plan to miss as little school as possible, communicate with the teacher as far ahead as possible, consider a small token of appreciation or thanks for the teacher if he/she does prepare work ahead of time or takes extra time to catch your child up on return, and don't miss too much school. The parents that irritated me were the ones that wanted kids out of school for numerous shopping trips, non-family acitivities, haircuts, etc...

It always amazed me that the one teacher I had on my staff that NEVER thought it was appropriate for a student to leave for a family vacation ALWAYS wanted a one week leave for a vacation during the year. He also used every day he could get (even lied about being sick on occassion) to hunt, go to auctions, take a shopping trip with his daugther, etc.

Don't overdo it, but family time is VERY important. Sometimes, more important then school, and I think school is pretty important.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a May trip planned. Due to my husbands work schedule and other concerns during other times of the year we always choose fall or spring to go to WDW. My boys are 12 and 18. This year the oldest, a senior in high school, is not going. We were going to go during spring break but he did not want to miss his last spring break with his friends. WE will take our youngest out of school and have him make up what he misses. My husband always says "is it going to make a difference 10 years from now if he misses a week of school?" He is an excellent student that misses very littel school other wise.

Last time we were in WDW we got to see the space shuttle go up. I can guarentee you that not one other student in his school has seen that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I say go for it! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'm a teacher and mom of four school-age children and we are going in May. My kids' teachers are all very supportive and understand the value of the educational experiences they will have while we are at WDW. It doesn't hurt to share with them ideas of "projects" you might have your child do. For the kindergartener, it's an ABC book; 2nd & 5th grade, daily journal entries that will be made into a book with accompanying photos (also planned ahead and had the 2nd grader do Walt Disney for a recent biography project); 9th grader, make-up work will be enough but will have him practice his Spanish skills in Mexico. We'll also do the passports at EPCOT, visit "One Man's Dream" at MGM, and many more activities that can ONLY be done at Disney World!!

I have to say that as a teacher, I am very fortunate to work for a principal who values family as much as I do. I also have the luxury of being able to take some personal days to do this.

Relax and enjoy. Make family memories to last a lifetime!!

Only 11 days!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

TAKE 'EM OUTTA SCHOOL!!
    Hehe. No, I'm not plotting with your kids against school. I'm a college student now. When I was in elementary school, my parents took me and my sister out of school quite a few years for weekly vacations to Disney. I admit, I don't have many memories of stuff that happened in elementary school...but I can remember all of my family vacations to Disney! And Disney can be educational, especially with EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
    Seriously, in most elementary and middle schools, it's no biggie. Work can be made up. It's totally worth it to take advantage of the off season. I can remember going to Disney over my birthday (in November) and when the Christmas decorations were up, but when the crowds were almost non-existant. It's so great to be able to do that. High school, however is different. Making up a week's worth of work would be quite overwhelming.
    Now that I'm in college, we are able to go in mid-May, and no one has to miss any school, since universities get out so early. But, man, I wish I could go back to when I could go for a week in November or early December!
    Take advantage of it now. I'm positive that my two sisters and one step-sister who now work in the education field would agree!

Scarlett
    Scarlett (DisneyScarlie, UNC student, Claytonia's sister, WDW fanatic)<br /><br />NEXT TRIP: May 17-24 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside :)<br /><br />------<br />"What would her father say? I'll tell you what her father'd say, he'd say he's gonna kill himself a CRAB that's what her father'd say!!!"<br />Sebastian - "The Little Mermaid"<br /><br />"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: