Quantcast Best resort for special needs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best resort for special needs

We are planning a family trip for Sept 2016. I know it is a long way away but my husband suffered a massive stroke a week ago and I don't know what kind of condition he will be in. Group would be me and husband with then 5yo DGS in one room and in another or 2 rooms our daughters and their boyfriends. No matter what we are going, my husband would be upset if we didn't. My question is which resort in each category is good for someone with mobility problems. Doctors have already told me that due to location of bleed he will have speech and mobility problems, question now is how much and we won't know that for a bit yet. All input is greatly appreciated.
    Tina

DM DH DD26 DD21 DGS 4

TRIPS:
    multiple as a child
    just daddy and me Oct 2005
    WITH MY Princesses:
    May 2000 POR
    May 2002 POR
    Oct 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 BC (just Ashley and Me)
    July 2010 POP girls only and Lexi's sweet 16
    Dec 2015 dd and dgs

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think any of the more compact resorts will be good. Deluxe: Wilderness Lodge. Moderate: Port Orleans French Quarter. I wouldn't recommend the Values. They are very large and kind of chaotic and overwhelming; might be too much. You could also consider renting a Villa for all of you (2br villas sleep 8). The villas are more "home" like, with full kitchens and 2 or 3 bathrooms.

I wish the best for your husband's recovery.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Are you driving? POFQ would be a great option. You can park your car near your room. It is a smaller resort. It is easy to navigate around and it is so very lovely.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Natalie - the more compact resorts would be the easiest. Port Orleans French Quarter is very compact, as is Wilderness Lodge.

Also, depending on the room category, if you were interested in the Boardwalk Villas, the locations near the main pool are very handy. And 1 and 2 bedroom villas also have washer and dryers. (Of the DVC we have stayed at, I don't feel that Old Key West or the Wilderness Lodge Villas are a good fit for you.)

When you are making reservations, I recommend that you either use Magical Journeys - from the sponsors at the left of this page - or take the time to call Disney and chat with the CM about your situation. Personally when I am not staying DVC I use Magical Journeys.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jan and Natalie that if you go the regular hotel route, the more compact resorts are the way to go. For DVC, I think any of them other than Old Key West will work fine. Since OKW only has 3 buildings with elevators, it really limits your choices.

I am a DVC owner and my Mom uses a wheelchair and comes with us so we always have a wheelchair accessible room. Something I have learned with the newer resorts (BLT, Kidani, GFV): be sure that you book a wheelchair accessible room and not just a handicapped accessible room. There is a difference. Only wheelchair accessible rooms have the grab bars in the bathroom and a wheelchair route throughout the room. I've not stayed at Art of Animation, so I don't know if that is the case there, but I suspect that the same distinction is made.

My Mom also suffered a stroke 6 weeks ago, which affected her speech and her right side, especially her right arm. The strides she has made since it happened are amazing. We are booked at GFV for October and when my sister and I mentioned on Mother's Day that we may look at changing the trip, my Mom said "I have 5 months. Should be good to go". The patient's inner drive goes a long way in aiding their recovery!

I wish for your husband and you a good and steady recovery. You can do this !
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he recovers quickly. I had a stroke when I was 33. I have Lupus and that caused it. It took several months of therapy but I came back to almost normal(normal being a relative term here!) For me walking can still be a challenge and especially balance. I feel Disney does a great job with level walk ways and wide paths. Just plan on taking your time and enjoy your trip.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you all

He is progressing very well considering he is only 44. We are hoping for rehab very soon so he can get on his road to recovery. When we do come down it will be for 10 days so there will be no rush and we can do it at his pace. My daughters have been incredible and will take the reins if needed with DGS. As Walt once said "Keep moving forward." This has become our mantra and hopes.
    Tina

DM DH DD26 DD21 DGS 4

TRIPS:
    multiple as a child
    just daddy and me Oct 2005
    WITH MY Princesses:
    May 2000 POR
    May 2002 POR
    Oct 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 BC (just Ashley and Me)
    July 2010 POP girls only and Lexi's sweet 16
    Dec 2015 dd and dgs

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing on a Star for a speedy recovery for your husband.

Another one to say WL. We stay there and love it. It is more compact and I believe it will be easy for your husband to get around. And at night, the two of you could sit in a rocking chair in front of the big fireplace and relax!

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear of your husbands illness. My DH also had a stroke 2 yrs ago. After 2 months of 6/sessions per week therapy he was walking and speech was so much better. We stayed at Beach Club @ 4 months out. First floor room near lobby made everything easier. I found planning a WDW trip helped me get past some of the hard times.
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: