Quantcast Disney Offers Park Hopper FP's and More Than 3 Per Day - Starting 4/28 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that at least part of the reason for the fourth fastpass is a result of Disneys return data for this program so far. As has been pointed out, most people are making afternoon fastpass reservations to avoid long lines during the busiest time of the day. This is a sound strategy to be sure, however it probably results on limited availability of afternoon times for those with day passes. this change should result in a more even distribution of fastpasses throughout the day and (hopefully) provide greater opportunity for better fourth pass times.
    Has anyone heard about which tier level the fourth pass will be?
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I personally think this is great, and I can't see why so many think it will be a problem. The article states you will be able to get a 4th FP after you use your 1st 3... and then another... and then another... so it's not just 4 FPs... it's as many as you choose to use.

Yes, you will be limited by what is still available... but that has ALWAYS been the case. TSM was a no-go noon... RnRC by 2 or 3... Space Mtn the same... so the big "E-ticket" rides I don't see being any more or less available than they have ever been.

I personally was VERY unhappy with only being able to pick 3 FPs... what the heck was I going to do the rest of the day, just wait in lines?? And I don't think scheduling your FPs in the morning is a waste... now at least I won't be killing myself to get to the parks for rope drop after a late night and chasing FPs all morning... instead, I can schedule my 1st ride for 10'ish, ride something before or after... go do my 2nd ride 11'ish... ride something else... I'm on my 3rd ride by noon and off for a 4th FP immediately after.

This seems an easy and non-stressful way to have the best of both worlds... I can be sure I'll get my favorites, I can choose to ride them again later if I want to wait or go stand-by, and I can fit everything else in around them b/c hopefully this system will shorten the wait-lines.

Maybe I'm a little too "rose-colored glasses" about this, but I started out VERY negative about the whole idea, and now I'm actually encouraged. We'll be testing it in August a bit, so we'll see!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a positive change. It's just not as ideal for those of us who used to utilize the old FP system to its maximum advantage and be able to get another FP before your current one was used. But, the times they are a changing, and we're not going back, so I will adapt and still enjoy the WDW experience.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    It's definitely a positive change. It's just not as ideal for those of us who used to utilize the old FP system to its maximum advantage and be able to get another FP before your current one was used. But, the times they are a changing, and we're not going back, so I will adapt and still enjoy the WDW experience.
    I couldn't agree more... we were one of those folk who knew just how to have a "runner" and we didn't mind separating on occasion to go get in line while another got the next set of FPs... we used them how they were allowed to be used, and rarely missed out on a thing. Here's to hoping we'll all feel that this works similarly in the end, or hopefully better!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    I couldn't agree more... we were one of those folk who knew just how to have a "runner" and we didn't mind separating on occasion to go get in line while another got the next set of FPs... we used them how they were allowed to be used, and rarely missed out on a thing. Here's to hoping we'll all feel that this works similarly in the end, or hopefully better!
    Ditto. We had that system *down*. Which caused my wife to ask this question the other day. Is there a thread on Intercot that discusses the best FP+ strategy? We're thinking about the whole "hit one park in the morning and do those rides early, and use the FP+ system for the headliners in another park for later in the day". So, we'll do MK first, have lunch, and then hit Epcot in the evening and still be able to ride Test Track or Soarin'. We couldn't do that before, because usually the FPs would be gone for Soarin' by the time we got to the park.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Is there a thread on Intercot that discusses the best FP+ strategy?
    Let's get one started over in the Theme Parks forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Actually, not to start an argument, but using a runner who will later join you in line is actually considered "cutting" by many (I understand you did not state your runner re-joined you in line, but that was often the case)..

I know this has been debated many times in the past, but it's nice that FP+ is eliminating this bone of contention.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some old paper ones if someone wants them...
    used to like to be able to use them after the hour elapsed
    I didn't like only 3 FP on my last trip. and for only one park. so hopefully this is a change for the better..
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

It's OFFICIAL!

Today we are excited to share that starting on Monday, April 28, 2014, all Walt Disney World® Resort Guests will be able to make additional FastPass+ selections at in-park kiosks after they have redeemed their original (up to three) selections.

•Guests will be able to make one additional selection at a time, based on availability. After they redeem that additional selection, they can go to a FastPass+ kiosk to make another selection, and so on. (The additional FastPass+ selections must be made at a kiosk only.)

•Guests will be able to make their additional selection(s) for an experience at which they already redeemed a FastPass+ selection earlier that day.

•Guests with valid park-hopping privileges will be able to make their additional selection(s) at another park. Those selections must be made at a kiosk in the park where the desired experience is located.

Post Thanks / Like

The only flaw I'm seeing is if you have a late FP in your initial 3.... (i.e. a fireworks FP or only able to reserve a late TSM time). Since you will never use your initial 3 up until end of the day it'll lock you into 3
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

So, this is just for onsite guests?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    The only flaw I'm seeing is if you have a late FP in your initial 3.... (i.e. a fireworks FP or only able to reserve a late TSM time). Since you will never use your initial 3 up until end of the day it'll lock you into 3
    Hmmm. Good point. I would think they'd have to exclude the nighttime shows somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    So, this is just for onsite guests?
    No, it's for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I misinterpreted "Walt Disney World Resort Guests." I read that and focused on the word "resort". Why not say " Walt Disney World Theme Park Guests?"
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I would want to make sure I could get a FP at another park before I hopped. Should be able to access FP at any park from any park. Seriously have to consider value of park hopper tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but that's sort of silly.

Were you ever guaranteed a FP when you park hopped in the past?

If you spent the morning at Epcot, and wanted to hop over to HS at 2:00, there was little to no chance you'd be able to get a FP for TSM or RnRR (and if you did, it would be 10pm).

It would be nice to have a pre-booked FP at a second park, but I don't think the fact that you can't do so makes the value of a park hopper any less.

It's the same way it was before.

Post Thanks / Like

That isn't really silly. It was possible to hop over there and get fast passes.

All these comparisons going on are all from one person's view point. You have to accept that everyone is different.

For me, I don't like the loss of spontaneity. I work nights. I have for 20 + years. I can't just automatically flip the switch and wake up at 8 am while I'm on vacation. Yes, I can guess about what time I will wake up and get to the parks, but what about my family who does wake up early? Do they have to just stand in long standby lines until I get up? What if I happen to wake up earlier and we all go to the park together or we change our minds and leave early? We used to give our paper fastpasses to a family that was coming in while we were leaving if we had any that we wouldn't be around for. If we don't get seated for our dinner reservation on time, I don't want to have to choose between a relaxing dinner and making our fast pass time.
    I also don't want to waste time standing at a fastpass kiosk line or messing with an "app" for my phone. I go on vacation to get away from work, not to create new work.

The old system worked great for us. However many people were there could go, pop their tickets in and get their fastpasses. I have a physical disability, so I can't ride a lot of the E-ticket rides. While they were in line, I could go get the next fastpass. Things went smoother and I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for them. If we were going to park hop, I could head over to the other park early and get those fastpasses too (that is how I know you could still get them and a "10 pm" return time wasn't a bad thing to me). If we wanted to split up and visit different parks, that was feasible too.

Now if we want to efficently use fastpass +, I will have to schedule our 3 fastpasses for later in the day, effectively blocking the rest of the family from being able to use fastpass before I wake up, just hope that there are enough fastpasses left for our whole group to ride together, or wait in the standby line which will take it's toll on me physically due to my disability and I'll head back to the hotel room after a few hours.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    That isn't really silly. It was possible to hop over there and get fast passes.

All these comparisons going on are all from one person's view point. You have to accept that everyone is different.

For me, I don't like the loss of spontaneity. I work nights. I have for 20 + years. I can't just automatically flip the switch and wake up at 8 am while I'm on vacation. Yes, I can guess about what time I will wake up and get to the parks, but what about my family who does wake up early? Do they have to just stand in long standby lines until I get up? What if I happen to wake up earlier and we all go to the park together or we change our minds and leave early? We used to give our paper fastpasses to a family that was coming in while we were leaving if we had any that we wouldn't be around for. If we don't get seated for our dinner reservation on time, I don't want to have to choose between a relaxing dinner and making our fast pass time.
    I also don't want to waste time standing at a fastpass kiosk line or messing with an "app" for my phone. I go on vacation to get away from work, not to create new work.

The old system worked great for us. However many people were there could go, pop their tickets in and get their fastpasses. I have a physical disability, so I can't ride a lot of the E-ticket rides. While they were in line, I could go get the next fastpass. Things went smoother and I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for them. If we were going to park hop, I could head over to the other park early and get those fastpasses too (that is how I know you could still get them and a "10 pm" return time wasn't a bad thing to me). If we wanted to split up and visit different parks, that was feasible too.

Now if we want to efficently use fastpass +, I will have to schedule our 3 fastpasses for later in the day, effectively blocking the rest of the family from being able to use fastpass before I wake up, just hope that there are enough fastpasses left for our whole group to ride together, or wait in the standby line which will take it's toll on me physically due to my disability and I'll head back to the hotel room after a few hours.
    The only part I was saying was silly was the implication that the value of a park hopper has diminished because you can't pre-book a FP for a second park.

You couldn't do it before, and you can't do it now...

And yes, it is still possible now, as it was before, to still get a valuable FP at a second park.

I'm sorry about your personal disability that makes this system difficult for you.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that have used the in-park kiosks, I have a question. Are the kiosks specific to that park in terms of what you could book? Say I hit the MK in the morning and plan on hopping to Epcot later in the day after a rest. I use my MK FP's and want to book my evening FP's for Epcot WHILE I'm in the MK at the kiosk. Since I can't book the new extra Fp's through MDE, I was wondering if I had access to other park FP's at the kiosks.

I am just trying to figure out how to best utilize this new modification as it relates to park hopping. Right now, I'm thinking for people at the parks at rope drop, it may still be best to do a lot at park opening and then have all FP's reserved for the hopped park.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of interesting quotes from Tom Staggs:

"Yes, for now, guests will need to use the kiosks in the park to reserve FastPass+ entitlements beyond their first three, although their additional FastPass+ entitlements will show up in their plans within the My Disney Experience app and they will be able to modify them there. We’re evaluating the possibility of enabling guests to select additional FastPass+ entitlements within My Disney Experience down the road."

"Once you’ve used your first three FastPass+ experiences (or the arrival windows for your selections have passed) you can select a fourth from any available FastPass+ experience." (It says "any" available FP+ experience).

Also, from previous trip reports and guides on the internet I have read, you can make FP choices for any park at a kiosk. From an unofficial Disney blog: "By the way, you can book the FastPasses from any of the parks. So if you are a park hopping day guest, we’d recommend you book the FastPasses in the first park for the second park. " (I have not done so myself).

Remember, still in testing!
    Last edited by yankeesfan123; 04-26-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Still in testing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks yankeesfan123. That is good news.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC