Quantcast Reservation for 1 too many

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reservation for 1 too many

We are going to be at WDW for President's Week when my younger children are on winter break. I booked all of our ADRs in August at the 180 day mark. I was hopeful my oldest would be able to fly down from college to meet us for part of the week, but that isn't going to happen. I called to make adjustments to our numbers (a few other things had changed also). We had a 7:50pm reservation for Rose and Crown on President's Day for 8 people. I was not able to reduce it to 7 and still keep the reservation, though it seems to me the table would likely be the same. The Disney rep is telling me we will owe the $10 fee if 7 people show up instead of 8. Is this really the case? I booked the reservation before the new policy took effect. I was also under the impression the policy was for cancellations within 24 hours and no shows. We are definitely going to show up, but will have 7 people instead of 8. I kept the reservation and figured worst case we'll owe an extra $10, but this really doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone have experience with this situation?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that they won't charge you if it's 1 person over. I could be wrong, but if the rest of the party shows up I don't think you're charged for that 1. That said, you can certainly reduce the party size to 7. it sounds like you got a CM that didn't know what they were talking about. I would suggest calling back and talking to a different CM and they should be table to take care of it for you.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The $10 per person charge is if you don't show up at all. A reduced party doesn't incur the charge (at least as of the beginning of January). I was able to get an table of 4 but couldn't get a 3, booked the 4 and wasn't charged for having one less person.

Add that to the fact that you booked before the new rule came into effect I'd say the CM was wrong.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We're a family of 3, and often end up having to book for 4 because the system will show that there are no tables for 3, but lots of tables for 4.

We've never had an issue with being charged for the "missing person."
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

So in the NEW world of My Disney Experience and family profiles. Do you just add a phantom non-discript guest when you book more than your regular real party size? As our DF has 3 members as well.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    So in the NEW world of My Disney Experience and family profiles. Do you just add a phantom non-discript guest when you book more than your regular real party size? As our DF has 3 members as well.
    No, the MDE thing may make being able to find a table for 4 a thing of the past if you only have 3. Not sure on that.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have to call again to make some other changes. I'll try to reduce it by one. If that doesn't seem to work, I'm not going to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

That definitely doesn't sound right. On our recent trip, one of our reservations was for 4 people at Garden Grill, but the other 2 members of our party left earlier than expected. It was close to the reservation time, so we just showed up. We did attempt to change it through the My Disney Experience app, but apparently you can't do that. The CM at the check in desk said that it wasn't a problem, so I wouldn't stress too much about reducing your party. Like you said, it's highly unlikely you will be getting a different size table anyway.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    You only need to provide one name when making the reservation. I am the only one on my MDE account and I've not (yet) had a problem booking.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No, the MDE thing may make being able to find a table for 4 a thing of the past if you only have 3. Not sure on that.
    I don't think so. That would mean they would be restricting you to eat with only those guests at Disney using MDE. It would basically prevent you having guests for dinner that live in the area or such.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    You only need to provide one name when making the reservation. I am the only one on my MDE account and I've not (yet) had a problem booking.

I don't think so. That would mean they would be restricting you to eat with only those guests at Disney using MDE. It would basically prevent you having guests for dinner that live in the area or such.

Thanks VWL Mom - you, Strmchsr and so many more are always a wealth of information.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

one problem with Disney is that the rules seem to be moving targets, being interpreted and enforced differently by different people at different times. I can say for sure they did NOT do this to us- we had a table for 5 at Chef Mickey's and my son had a teenage sized temper-tantrum(about getting up early) and we had to go without him so only 4 of us showed up - I apologized profusely since that even meant changing a table configuration, but they said it was absolutely no problem and did NOT charge us any extra. Also, one time we went to Cindy's table and I was ill and couldn't eat (but went to keep company). I've been told by a bunch of people they'd deduct a credit for me, but they didn't. (and I was able to use my two saved credits for an extra dinner with hubby when I was feeling better).

Post Thanks / Like

Last June I book reservations for 7 for most of my dining because my sister may have possibly been able to join us. We showed up at all of our reservations and told them we had one less person and we were never charged for the extra person not showing. I hope this helps!
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

Share This Thread On Social Media: