Quantcast Best way to get to WDW? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My2Sons View Post
    Question. I've been told that on Southwest you have no idea where you will sit and there is a good chance you'll be separated from your kids. Do you find this to be true or false? We don't all have to sit together, but I would like at least one parent with each kid. That is what has always stopped us from flying Southwest - the inability to pick seats.
    Two things to that ---

1) For an extra $10/person/flight you can get the Early Bird option. With this, you are assigned a seating GROUP at the 36 hour mark. This will almost always get you an "A" group boarding assignment. With that assigned group, you are within the first 60 to board. That pretty much assures you of being able to sit together as a family.

2) If you cannot get the Early Bird option, you MUST check in for your flight right at the 24 hour mark. At that point, it will depend upon how many Business Select and Early Bird seats have already been spoken for and your timing as to what boarding GROUP you get.

Hope this helps!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your input. I am very much enjoying this discussion.

I do prefer driving. We used to fly, but I wanted to try driving, and we kind of like it. We usually do the trip down in one day. (Hubby is an early bird, so we leave super early in the morning to miss most of the morning rush in the big cities - like DC). Anyhow, we were considering flying again - for speed - but I think I still like driving.

Of course, the ride down is always more fun and exciting than the ride back up!

I am very much enjoying hearing all of your ideas and input. Keep 'em coming!
    2006 - WL 2007 - WL
    2008 - WL 2009 - WL
    2010 - BC
    2010 (fall) - CBR
    2011 - DCL and FW Cabin
    2011 (fall) - WL
    2012 - BC (suprise upgrade to Club Level!)
    2013 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I drive for personal reasons.
    DW and I are both retired, disabled, and pooh sized. We simply can't do the airport walking any more. We each have our own scooters and there would be no way to get them to the airport. Both scooters fit into my Expedition EL. So, with me as the only driver, we do the trip in a leisurely 2 1/2 days, arriving in the WDW area a day early, usually spending that first night in Knights Inn on 192 for around $40. On the drive home, if we want we can stop at other tourist sites.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We drive. Driving is a lot cheaper than flying especially if you go during peak times like Christmas week or Spring break when airfare is ridiculous.

I am also from the Northeast and love to drive. I do all the driving.

I also like having my own car at WDW. No waiting in lines for buses and can drive to supermarket or stores if we need to.

Donald Duck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    It is important to note that I actually like driving on the interstates and seeing the sights and stopping in between point A and point B when I travel. We recently drove to Washington DC and quickly learned Virginia is by far the worst state to drive through that I have visited so far. Next summer we are actually planning on doing the whole "route 66 road trip" and will be driving from North Alabama to Anaheim CA to visit Disneyland and then down to San Diego and Tijahunna. I am almost as excited about driving through several of the states along the way as I am the rest of the trip.
    We completely agree. We live in SE Pennsylvania and when we drive to Disney we always say that once we hit the VA/NC border we feel like we're home free. But between Philly & the VA/NC border the traffic can be very unpredictable with VA being the worst.

And we also plan on doing that Route 66 road trip to Disneyland one day. We had hoped to do it with the kids but we know we want to take at least 2.5 weeks to do it so it will probably have to wait until DH retires.

Post Thanks / Like

Driving down from CT takes the starch out of me for a day or 2. Direct flights are only 3 hours, and our rate for this December is $220. We'll need to rent a car, but rates in FL are good- about $21/day total.

For me, flying's the way to go. But of course, that depends on the number of in your party.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

From Ohio. We have always flown. Reasons we don't drive (yet!):
    1) Time. We are still working so giving up 2-3 days for travel just isn't appealing. However, I have to admit, in reality, it isn't just a "2-hour flight". Even if we have a 7:00am flight, we are at the airport at 5:00am, arrive in WDW around 9:30, then it's off to the resort. Usually we're settling in sometime around noon. So, what sounds like a 2 hr trip, in reality it's more like 7 hours.
    2) Miles on my car. DW and I already drive over 400 miles per week (each) so the thought of putting a couple more thousand miles on a vehicle isn't a good idea. Renting a car for a couple weeks is almost the cost of 1 plane ticket.
    3) Road Rage. Inconsiderate, even dangerous drivers...don't want to deal with. Don't even get me started on the whole cell phone issues.

Now, once DW and retire and we have plenty of time to take our time, take alternate routes, we will probably start driving.

Airline costs? That's always a tough one. We keep watching the airline websites for pricing. When we see an acceptable price, it's best to jump on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Living in Northeastern lower Michigan driving has always been a less expensive way to go. It is a 24 hour drive for us. We take off early evening get into Valdosta around noon next day. Book early check in, sit by the pool and relax. Do any last minute shopping for supplies. Head out early in am 3 1/2 hours later we are checking in and heading to the park. Flying always involves driving 3-4 hours just to get to the airport. Most times having to get a hotel because the plane leaves too early in the morning. So all of this has to be added to the airfare. Flying is never cheaper for us. Only perk of flying is the time. Only fly when just me and DD12 go on girls only trips.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

As a family of six I wish we could drive but we live in Seattle, WA so our only option is to fly. But we have driven to Disneyland before.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: