Quantcast Is it normal for so many rides to breakdown so often?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it normal for so many rides to breakdown so often?

So maybe it's a case of wrong place, wrong time, but I've never experienced so many ride closures/breakdowns!

Went to AK this past Sunday (9/1) and had to be evacuated off Dinosaur after it stopped.

Then today (Wed, 9/4) I started off in MK, where Space was down all day. When I made it over to Frontierland, Splash was down. Then I hopped to AK and EE was down when I got there. Then, I waited in line for Dinosaur for 20 minutes before we were all told the ride went down and we all had to leave!

I mean, I know things happen, but this is excessive. I doubt I'll make it back to AK this trip, so no Dino for me. I guess I should count my blessings Test Track has been operational each time I've gone (let's hope I didn't just jinx it)!
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately this all occurs by chance. I went to Disney August 14th-21st and August 18th in MK Pirates, Splash, and TMR were closed due to power failures because their was a bad rain. Sorry about all the breakdowns!
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Remember these are machines that are in service 365 days a year. They break down. In June, we went about 10 feet on Dumbo and it just stopped. We did get a free Fastpass for any ride, so that was good, and we came back later to ride Dumbo. I know it is inconvenient, but it is going to happen to us all.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    Remember these are machines that are in service 365 days a year.
    Exactly. That and alot of them are very complicated. A simple thing can stop a ride. A park map thrown on the floor in tower of terror. A boat getting stuck on Pirates. (happened to me on more than one occasion!) All these take a while to sort. Just unlucky I think.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a worse than usual run of broken rides this trip too. We were evacuated off Winne the Pooh (which was a huge issue with DD in a wheelchair/crutches), and Peter Pan and Laugh Floor were both closed for the better part of a day.

It was nice though, when Ariel's voyage stopped for a long time while we were on it, they let us ride a second time, they asked us if we wanted to, and DD quickly took them up on the offer.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

In all my trips, I have only been evacuated off a ride twice, and turned back in line once. All three happened in the same trip about 8 years ago.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yup-that stinks !! We've been walked off living with the land,stuck on PP (which was great ! )
    right by mermaid lagoon...stuck on splash near the last turn.Kind of disturbs the "magic" but
    a day at WDW is better than a day anywhere else!
    Breakdowns are always in the back of my mind.
    No Jungle Cruise for us this trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Was at the parks everyday from Aug 19 to 24, only thunder mountain was closed, for a couple hours on one of the days. Luck of the draw.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had the most issue with broken rides at MK. Especially Pooh, and HM..
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Disney well over 20 times...but never been walked off a ride. Sort of disappointing actually..Lol.

But yes, almost everytime we go, TMR breaks down. Even if its only for a few hours.
    Been to Disney over 20 times...
    Last Trip: September 2014! All Star Sports
    Next Trip: September 2015???

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas Day, 2004: The ENTIRE Magic Kingdom shut down due to a generator failure.

Only two attractions remained open: the steam trains (where I was working); and Tomorrowland Speedway (powered by gasoline engines, no electricity needed).

Took about five hours to get everything all up and running again...
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be the luck of the draw. On our last trip, we had no issues until our last day. My son and I went in early to hit Space and Big Thunder and both were down. The worse part was the trek back and forth across the park. Because it was so early, the online wait times hadn't been updated yet, so we did not know until we got there. Fortunately, they were back online within 2 hours. We actually used the time to get some nice photos and hit some rides we usually skip.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Only time we've had to walk off a ride was "The Great Movie Ride" over at DHS which seems kind of odd considering the general simplicity of that attraction.

I think our biggest inconvenience was leaving MK for our dinner ressie over at Ohana and the monorail had broke down and was down for quiet some time.

POC and HM seem to get more issues at times if they are loading & unloading guests with special needs. One year no matter how many times we rode HM, it always stopped at least once in the middle of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Christmas Day, 2004: The ENTIRE Magic Kingdom shut down due to a generator failure.

Only two attractions remained open: the steam trains (where I was working); and Tomorrowland Speedway (powered by gasoline engines, no electricity needed).

Took about five hours to get everything all up and running again...
    Whoa. What a day to have that happen. Although maybe it happened because of that day.

Sooooo... I gotta ask.... Was there any remedy give to the guests who tried to get in at the MK gate that day? Cause if I paid top dollar, and by that I mean mega-high-season dollar, to be there that day, I'd be plenty bummed.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

We were taken off of Test Track once. I think it was right in the corrosion test section.

I hope it is all just random chance. Maintenance has been a hot button issue in the fan community for years, though, so I always have to wonder when random chance might actually be something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AvonleaCF View Post
    So maybe it's a case of wrong place, wrong time, but I've never experienced so many ride closures/breakdowns!

Went to AK this past Sunday (9/1) and had to be evacuated off Dinosaur after it stopped.

Then today (Wed, 9/4) I started off in MK, where Space was down all day. When I made it over to Frontierland, Splash was down. Then I hopped to AK and EE was down when I got there. Then, I waited in line for Dinosaur for 20 minutes before we were all told the ride went down and we all had to leave!

I mean, I know things happen, but this is excessive. I doubt I'll make it back to AK this trip, so no Dino for me. I guess I should count my blessings Test Track has been operational each time I've gone (let's hope I didn't just jinx it)!
    I have been in that same situation. Them ride are getting a ton of usage. The night I went to mnsshp I got stuck on winnie the poo, haunted mansion, little mermaid and buzz light year. Haunted mansion and poo we got to walk thu the ride with the lights on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Only time we've had to walk off a ride was "The Great Movie Ride" over at DHS which seems kind of odd considering the general simplicity of that attraction.
    Even though GMR is a simpler attraction, you'd be surprised what issues it has
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Whoa. What a day to have that happen. Although maybe it happened because of that day.

Sooooo... I gotta ask.... Was there any remedy give to the guests who tried to get in at the MK gate that day? Cause if I paid top dollar, and by that I mean mega-high-season dollar, to be there that day, I'd be plenty bummed.
    Other than the normal re-admission passes (the "FastPasses" for later in the day), no. :P It's like the weather - it's *not* (or wasn't) something that the Cast can control. Yes, there were *plenty* of complaints at City Hall.

Similar situation on the *same* day exactly one year later (2005).

The weather was *terrible*. It was about 29 degrees outside, and *raining*, but no lightning, so all the attractions were still open. Unfortunately, it *rained*....and *RAINED*....and *RAINED* (think Living Seas pre-show here...LOL...) ALL DAY - AND NIGHT - LONG. All outdoor shows, including Castle shows, Belle's Story Time, etc. - and *every single parade*, from the two daytime Christmas parades, plus both nighttime Spectros - were all canceled because of the weather - from about 7am through midnight). After the second Christmas parade was announced throughout the park as being "cancelled due to inclement weather", guests *STORMED* City Hall demanding their money back (which, they can't do, by the way). Orange County Sheriff's Deputies had to be stationed outside and the doors shut and locked to keep guests from tearing the place down....
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Funny Story:

In 2002, my parents were with us on their first trip to Walt Disney World. Dinosaur broke down for an extended time. Although the sound was off, you could hear the actuators working and sense "movement" in the dark. My mom got so scared, she started to dial 911! (My dad had to stop her.)
    "Honey, believe me. They know we're in here."
    It's becoming the running joke: I hope it's not so scary, we have to dial 911.

Also, DW & I were walked off Test Track once. Also, lights came on in Space Montain once.

Truthfully, for as often as we've been there, we've encountered few serious breakdowns.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    Funny Story:

In 2002, my parents were with us on their first trip to Walt Disney World. Dinosaur broke down for an extended time. Although the sound was off, you could hear the actuators working and sense "movement" in the dark. My mom got so scared, she started to dial 911! (My dad had to stop her.)
    "Honey, believe me. They know we're in here."
    It's becoming the running joke: I hope it's not so scary, we have to dial 911.
    Yikes! I would hate to be stuck on Dinosaur. With my luck it would probably be right in front of the Carnosaur chasing the vehicle through the jungle.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: