Quantcast We Really Need a Vacation - Part 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default We Really Need a Vacation - Part 2

When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 21, 2013 - Wednesday

Plan for the Day: Blizzard Beach; Lunch at Rose and Crown

The Reality:

It’s 7 in the morning before we begin to stir.

Since the vacation club was running a special on premium annual passes last year, we bought our vouchers during our trip in October. We have not been to any of the water parks for a number of years but, since they are included with our current annual passes, we thought we’d give them a go this time around.

By time we get out of bed and get ourselves ready to go, it’s close to 9. We drive over to Blizzard Beach (visiting the water parks was my main impetus for wanting a rental on this trip) and arrive around 9:15. My annual pass will not work at the turnstile to allow me in. The cast member who is going to square this away for me wants picture ID. I did not bring my license with me – only my annual pass and my room key. Because Gene drove over, he has his license with him and offers that picture ID which they accept – along with my answer as to which park I had visited the day before. He tells me he will reset my pass for me. Whew!

Once in the park, we rent a locker and a couple of towels. We find a lounge down by the pool. Since we don’t plan to spend a considerable amount of time here, we probably will not need two lounges. We spend a little while in the pool then head over to the Lazy River. We make one complete circuit – I take a tumble getting out of the tube and bang my knee on the bottom – probably wouldn’t have done that if the water had been just a little bit deeper.

We then decide to do Teamboat Springs family raft. We climb all the stairs and are quickly put into a raft with a dad and his two sons. That was a really fun ride!! We decide to do it again but to take the ski lift to the top this time. The ski lift line is the longest of the morning! Once at the top, we are paired with another couple and have another fun ride to the bottom – it’s hard to get out of that tube!! Back to the lazy river though we don’t do a complete circuit this time.

We’re back home around noon for showers and to dress. Our toilet tissue holder has broken so Gene calls to have that repaired. The person arrives within minutes of the call and it is quickly fixed.

We walk over to the Epcot. Boy, is it steamy out!! We enter through the International Gateway and, thankfully, my park pass behaves and allows me a problem free admission! After wandering through the United Kingdom shops, we’re still about 40 minutes or so early for our reservation at Rose n Crown but check in anyway. I’m asked if we would like to be seated now. Yes, please. We are led to an indoor table and ask if we could dine outside. Request allowed. Wonderful!! There is a lovely breeze on the patio so we have a wonderful luncheon of fish and chips.

Since I know Spaceship Early is about to go down for refurb, we head there directly after lunch. This is a walk-on. I check on Test Track but My Disney Experience says it is temporarily down so we head, instead, into Mouse Gears. Gene buys me a wonderful Mickey case for my new camera. We are about ready to head out but decide to wait a while since we’re in the midst of another downpour.
    Once the rain ends, we head back out and towards Mexico. After visiting with Mickey and the Caballeros, we check out the tequila bar which is totally empty but decide to forgo having a drink here.

The standby time for the ride in Norway is 130 minutes?!!! Are you kidding me??!! It’s a cute ride but not worth standing in line for 2+ hours for so on we go.

We arrive at the bridge just as it is being raised for the Illuminations barges to come through so watch that until the operation is complete and the bridge lowered again. It’s beginning to look quite threatening again and it smells like rain in the air. We stop in Germany for beers and are able to find a table under cover. While the wind picks up and the skies are quite dark, it does not rain the entire time we are there.

Once again, we head out into World Showcase. We wander through shops as whim dictates and check out the new French sandwich and dessert restaurant. Just as we exit International Gateway, it begins to rain though not hard. The rain persists as we head towards home. We stop in the bakery and purchase a couple of roast beef sandwiches for later along with a couple of chocolate chip cookies. I want a Mickey bar so we head over to the general store but they are out of them. Disappointed, we head back to our room. Still raining but not very hard.

We just get into our room and the skies open up – look at that downpour!

I get on line to inform Sunpass that we have a rental and register our rental car with them. I also check and see that they have correctly deducted the tolls we went through yesterday on our way here. Then I sat down to catch up on these notes.

The rain has ended now so it is time for me to enjoy some time out on the balcony. Gene is already out there!!

We ate our sandwiches on the balcony. Boardwalk seemed rather subdued – I think the earlier rains kept folks away. Still, a number of folks showed up shortly before Illuminations to watch the fireworks. We watched them as well. Shortly after that, it was time for me to put a bath bomb in the tub and have a relaxing tubbie for me before bed!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

130 min for Norway? Oh my, that's absurd!

How did you like the water parks? We got the PAP special this year with high hopes of finally going to one but never made it, just can't convince the boys. Unless they run another special we're back to AP at renewal time.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a lovely day. I'm sorry you got caught by our week of rain! We have never done the water parks. I really need to check them out some day.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Another great day!!

48 days!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    How did you like the water parks? We got the PAP special this year with high hopes of finally going to one but never made it, just can't convince the boys.
    I'm not a big water person so was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself at the water parks! I especially liked the family raft ride at Blizzard Beach!

Like you, we got the premium passes on special as well which is why we planned the water park time. Typically, we might spend some time at the resort pool but usually don't go to the water parks.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey310 View Post
    48 days!!!
    Getting closer! Hope I can be reading your trip reports soon!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I'm not a big water person so was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself at the water parks! I especially liked the family raft ride at Blizzard Beach!
    LOVE that ride, too! I never fail to come off the ride laughing--it is so much fun!

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Looking forward to reading more!
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

130 minutes? That is totally CRAZY! But then, we did see a lot of LONG wait times, much more than usual ... not sure if it was FP+ or actually high crowds.

The wave pool is my favourite part of BB, we don't get there often, but have always enjoyed it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Beers in Germany are always a good idea during a rainstorm ... or during a hot afternoon. Despite weather, you seem to be having a great time.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am really happy that you enjoyed your trip to Blizzard Beach. It's been 22 years since we went to Typhoon Lagoon (before our trips with DS), but I've always wanted to go back. Sounds like a very enjoyable morning.

Can you even imagine waiting 130 minutes for Maelstrom?!!!!

Even though you had another hard rain, it was a very lovely day. Great idea of dinner on the balcony!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Great report! Loving the detail! Nice to read how much you enjoyed Blizzard Beach. Our family has never done a water park We need to correct this!
    Thanks for reporting, now I'm off to day three.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

What a great afternoon in Epcot!

We waited many years to try the water parks with the kids (did each WP once before we had kids), but we always enjoy our time there. It's such a great way to slow down and enjoy a hot day in Disney. Glad you were pleasantly surprised with BB.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Another great day despite the rain!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Our family loves both of the water parks. We try to do one, at least ever other trip.

Still can't get over that wait time for Maelstrom! Just crazy!!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)