Quantcast Main Street USA to Receive Concrete Replacement - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears the same rumor circulated back in 2005 when they were redoing the hub. The ADA has specific guidelines for ramping curbs (height, length, distance to building, etc), simply slanting a curb doesn't fit the requirements. It will be interesting to see what actually occurs this time.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a long time stroller user I would prefer it if they made the change. I have never had a huge issue with the curb personally but have seen many people flip over it. I don't think it would take away anything and would be much safer. As I move out of the stroller phase (last trip with one hopefully) of my life it will only be a matter of time that I enter the scooter phase when I can't just manage the curb.
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

As an educator, I am against the generalized "dumbing down of America." If people can't figure out curbs, maybe they should take some "getting from point A to point B on a street" classes. After all, what's next? Removing doors so people won't walk into them? Banning windows so people won't try to stick their heads out and hit the glass? Wow, the mind boggles....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    As an educator, I am against the generalized "dumbing down of America." If people can't figure out curbs, maybe they should take some "getting from point A to point B on a street" classes. After all, what's next? Removing doors so people won't walk into them? Banning windows so people won't try to stick their heads out and hit the glass? Wow, the mind boggles....
    My sentiments exactly... I still have to wonder why they have to have stickers in every ride vehicle about remaining seated and keeping your hands and arms in. You would have thought people could have figured that out for themselves.

Or the really bad one. Caution! Contents may be hot.... On a cup of coffee? Really? I would complain if it was served cold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Horned King View Post
    My sentiments exactly... I still have to wonder why they have to have stickers in every ride vehicle about remaining seated and keeping your hands and arms in. You would have thought people could have figured that out for themselves.

Or the really bad one. Caution! Contents may be hot.... On a cup of coffee? Really? I would complain if it was served cold!
    Lol, true!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Had the person in the McDonald's Coffee incident not won a large court settlement in that case, these things would not be necessary. Unfortunately, that case has created a large number of 'monsters' in that anyone will sue for anything if there are not large, easily readable warnings on just about everything!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug!
    LOL I'm with you on this one!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is that this really does not hurt anyone, and actually would help many. While I am also one who likes to sit on the curb for parades, it's a minor inconvenience for me to give that up if it makes navigating crowds easier for the countless number of people pushing strollers and wheelchairs etc. (And as far as we know right now this is only being done for Main Street, not the entire park, So there may still be plenty of curbs to sit on).
    I don't really see this as an example of the dumbing down of America nor do I think it is a result of a litigious society. I think it is just meant to make things easier. Where else on earth do you have that many strollers/wheelchairs/scooters concentrated in one place? Many of us are lucky to be able to travel to WDW multiple times and avoid peak crowds, which can be an absolute nightmare on Main Street after the fireworks for example, with so many people trying to get in and out of stores for their last minute shopping and the throngs trying to exit the park. Someone who is walking has the option of maneuvering around people and stepping on and off of the sidewalk. Someone in a wheelchair or an ECV does not have that option.

For those who are against this or can't imagine it, I ask you to think about your grocery trips. When I go to the local ShopRite, there is only one small ramp available to walk your cart to your car. It is a bit far from the entrance and on a busy (or especially a rainy) day, the area gets congested with everyone trying to use the sloped area. Sure you can forge ahead and risk just going off the curb, but if you have a full cart that can be a dangerous undertaking! Meanwhile at our local Wegmans, almost the entire curb is gradually slanted to allow free movement of carts back and forth. There is a normal sidewalk and then by the edge it is red and has little bumps on it to slow you down a little so the cart doesn't go flying. Visually, it's very nicely done and I bet you 90% of the people just go on their merry way, and don't even notice the fact that the curb is slanted, but if they stopped to think about it they'd realize how much easier it is. Just my
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Makes sense

I think it makes sense because there are more electric scooter and strollers in the MK than cars in it's parking lot.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

People not being able to navigate curbs reminded me of this Far Side cartoon: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/65/228...066e28c3ae.jpg
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

The very distinct color difference between the sidewalks (red) and the street (dark grey) is/was supposed to help guests differentiate between where the edge of the sidewalk is, and the street.

If people can't navigate a sidewalk and tell the difference when they step off of a curb of just a few inches in height...then, in my opinion, they need to pay more attention. :P

But, then again, as a former Main Street Cast Member, I can't tell you how many guests in ECVs, or guests pushing strollers, have run off the end/edge of the sidewalks and been *dumped*, literally, into the street.

I guess my next..."hope"...is that this doesn't cause guests to overflow out into the streets during parades. Can't tell ya how many people I've had to get up out of the street even with the curbs with 10-ton parade floats coming at them.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I think my view on it is, is that people have managed to navigate curbs for the past 30+ years. Why is society suddenly struggling with curbs? lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my view on it is, is that people have managed to navigate curbs for the past 30+ years. Why is society suddenly struggling with curbs? lol.
    I don't think it is a "sudden" thing. There has been a growing usage of ECVs and other 'assistance' devices over the past decade and with the safety issues Disney had for rides and visitor areas earlier this year, this is a (maybe little overzealous) proactive rehab.

Sometimes, people need to think that some of these changes are not necessarily Disney ideas, but are required by other local, federal and OSHA regulations. I don't know if that is the case in this instance, but it would not surprise me in the least.

As far as making it easier for visitor to end up in the path of the parade....I would guess that you will see ropes set up, like at crossing areas, all along the route -- using the existing lampposts, where available, and temporary posts elsewhere.

These are just suppositions on my part, so take them with healthy "grains of salt."
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    My feeling is that this really does not hurt anyone, and actually would help many. While I am also one who likes to sit on the curb for parades, it's a minor inconvenience for me to give that up if it makes navigating crowds easier for the countless number of people pushing strollers and wheelchairs etc. (And as far as we know right now this is only being done for Main Street, not the entire park, So there may still be plenty of curbs to sit on).
    I don't really see this as an example of the dumbing down of America nor do I think it is a result of a litigious society. I think it is just meant to make things easier. Where else on earth do you have that many strollers/wheelchairs/scooters concentrated in one place? Many of us are lucky to be able to travel to WDW multiple times and avoid peak crowds, which can be an absolute nightmare on Main Street after the fireworks for example, with so many people trying to get in and out of stores for their last minute shopping and the throngs trying to exit the park. Someone who is walking has the option of maneuvering around people and stepping on and off of the sidewalk. Someone in a wheelchair or an ECV does not have that option.

For those who are against this or can't imagine it, I ask you to think about your grocery trips. When I go to the local ShopRite, there is only one small ramp available to walk your cart to your car. It is a bit far from the entrance and on a busy (or especially a rainy) day, the area gets congested with everyone trying to use the sloped area. Sure you can forge ahead and risk just going off the curb, but if you have a full cart that can be a dangerous undertaking! Meanwhile at our local Wegmans, almost the entire curb is gradually slanted to allow free movement of carts back and forth. There is a normal sidewalk and then by the edge it is red and has little bumps on it to slow you down a little so the cart doesn't go flying. Visually, it's very nicely done and I bet you 90% of the people just go on their merry way, and don't even notice the fact that the curb is slanted, but if they stopped to think about it they'd realize how much easier it is. Just my
    Great post, and I agree.

As an educator as well, AND the parent of an ASD/SPD child who uses a stroller as a wheelchair device, I must be in the "dumb crowd". I see this helping so greatly. When it's nearly wall to wall people and you're trying to get around, it's tough to maneuver a stroller, with a 50 lb child, over the curb then around and back down [still dodging people].
    I will appreciate this change very much!

It's funny to see people getting so rattled by every change Disney makes. Like I've said before though, I'm a rose-colored glasses Disney sell out . I just see everything as change and progress. It's the way of life.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm personally upset Disney has chosen to do so many refurbs during my vacation this year. I will be going in mid-August.

1. All Star Sports food court is being refurbished, so that means those guests may crowd up my hotel (ASM) food court.

2. Spaceship Earth is going to close on the 18th (I will be there before the 18th but my friends will not arrive till after that which means I can't ride it with them)

3. Now more MS refurbs and the Starbucks
    Oh and for the record I'm not against the refurb I'm just angry with the timing like you think Disney could pick a better time like when less people go to Disney
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    3. Now more MS refurbs and the Starbucks
    Oh and for the record I'm not against the refurb I'm just angry with the timing like you think Disney could pick a better time like when less people go to Disney
    Unfortunately, there are really no times when 'less people go to Disney' anymore. Even the "slow" seasons have picked up, as people are planning their trips better and things like Food and Wine and Flower and Garden pull them in.

My trips are primarily late September or early December....Not only am I hit with refurbs, the park hours are cut so there is less time to get everything in anyway. You just have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of it.

Enjoy your visit!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Unfortunately, there are really no times when 'less people go to Disney' anymore. Even the "slow" seasons have picked up, as people are planning their trips better and things like Food and Wine and Flower and Garden pull them in.

My trips are primarily late September or early December....Not only am I hit with refurbs, the park hours are cut so there is less time to get everything in anyway. You just have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of it.

Enjoy your visit!!
    Thanks for the information that does make me feel better although I do still wish they picked any other time than Summer that's all but thank you
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I wonder how many people a year twist their ankles in the trolley track?
    I was in a Disney Parade with my marching band for Disney Music Days in 2010 and I was one of the lucky ones who had to walk the entire time with one foot on the tracks...it was even more difficult to walk since I had a bass drum on and couldn't see any of the street in front of me! I was trying so hard not to fall and look like a complete fool!!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see why they are doing this and I am sure if they think about it they will be able to make the change look tasteful and not detract from the aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    Thanks for the information that does make me feel better although I do still wish they picked any other time than Summer that's all but thank you
    As a constantly evolving process I think it's inevitable that something will be down for work at any given time.

At times you can just be very unlucky. On our last two visits (2010, 2004) It's a Small World was down for maintenance so our last ride on that was 2001. I try and think of it as something for next time... even if in our case we are next considering 2016 so we'll have gone 15 years without IASW!!!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

We were there July 18-27....no construction on Main Street whatsoever ever.

No seats in Starbucks., dozens, literally, of guests sprawled out on the store. No curbs on Main Street certainly will give it more of a mall look.

No curbs to sit on for parades... People will plop themselves on the ground in random spots

How many guests have twisted their ankle in the tracks??? Probably as many as twisted their ankle crossing RR tracks, street car tracks (back in the day), walking along the tracks. And falling off a curb? Yes, we all have done it at some point in our lives because we were not watching where we were going.

Geez Louise!

(Love the comment about removing doors and windows btw)
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: