Quantcast azcavalier's Trip Report - Day 1: Bongos, Be Our Guest, and Bay Lake Tower

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default azcavalier's Trip Report - Day 1: Bongos, Be Our Guest, and Bay Lake Tower

To start, here are some photos. The photos were mostly taken with my iPhone 5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2593947...th/8702644926/

My wife and I landed in Sanford on Sunday morning, got a rental car, and headed for Downtown Disney. Armed with our Annual Passes we snagged with the DVC discount, and our newly purchased Tables in Wonderland card (for the first time in *years* we decided to try WDW without the DDP).

For our first meal, we decided to try Bongos Cuban Cafe.

Bongos - We ordered an appetizer of Papas Rellenas (Mashed potato balls filled with seasoned ground beef). Good stuff! I ordered the Cuban Sandwich with black beans and rice, and my wife ordered fried rice with boneless chicken and plantains. My sandwich was just OK. Not bland, but nothing special. Her chicken was good, but the fried rice was fairly devoid of anything other than rice and soy sauce. The plantains were delicious, though. Verdict? Glad we tried it, probably won't go back.

After shopping a bit, we checked in to Bay Lake, a studio room with a Magic Kingdom view from the 7th floor. Sweet! Fairly standard DVC studio room, with retro decor. But the balcony view was great. Check out the photos above.

We headed out for the Magic Kingdom, walking of course! It was mid-afternoon, nice weather, and the MK really wasn't terribly busy. We had ADRs for Be Our Guest, and after pin trading and window shopping up Main Street, we checked in. We were seated in the ball room. The decor here is amazing. The ballroom is jaw-dropping, with all of the detail that they have added. On the way to our seat, they asked my wife to carry a candelabra (like Lumiere) to "illuminate" the way to our seat. It's dark, but not that dark, and these battery-operated candles don't give off much light.

Not being on the DDP, ordering was a bit liberating. We shared a French Onion Soup, which was delicious. My dinner was the Shrimp and Scallops served in a puff pastry bowl with vegetables and a lobster sauce. My DW had the rotisserie cornish hen with fingerling potatoes and seasonal vegetables. My dish was very, very good, but the puff pastry was a bit hard to cut. My wife loved her dish. For dessert, we each had a cream puff. I ordered the chocolate one, and she had the passion fruit puff. She thought hers was amazing, and I know that mine was. Verdict - Great restaurant. Decor was great, service was fast, and the food was very good. We won't be able to get dinner ressies here when we come back in August, but we'll be able to bring our kids for lunch so that they can see it.

After dinner, we simply rode some of our favorites...Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Splash Mountain.

Splash Mountain, BTW, was NOT completely running. All of the animatronics were working, but the water effects in the Laughin' Place are still not functioning. Not a single one. Not the jumping water streams, the bubbling pots, nor the water under the laughing turtles. Very disappointing.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer about the Laughin' Place water. We're still sad about that too. Still, LOVE that ride!

It sounds like you're having a great first day. Thanks for the report, especially on Be Our Guest. Sounds yummy!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame about the Laughing Place . It was working over Easter break; DW and I both commented on it.

Love TiW as compared to DDP

Glad you enjoyed Be Our Guest! We ate there Christmas night and loved it as well. Have fun on you August trip--we won't be back until Christmas again, unless some bargain falls in our lap.
    *1972-Contemporary
    *1982-Tree House Village
    *1987-Offsite
    *1997-AS Music
    *2000-CS
    *2004-Offsite
    *2005-Disneyland
    *2006-WL
    *2007-AS Sports
    *2008-AKV/WLV/BCV and 4-day Disney Wonder
    *2009-POP/AKV
    *2009-OKW for Christmas
    *2010-BLT
    *2011-Spring Break: Offsite-Sheraton Vistana
    *2011-OKW/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Nice start to your trip! Glad to hear such a terrific review of Be Our Guest!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Love the view from your balcony - thanks for sharing the pics! Great first day. Be Our Guest sounds like a real treat! A shame about Splash Mountain though.

Looking forward to Day 2!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    Love the view from your balcony - thanks for sharing the pics!
    Thanks. Apparently, i'm not supposed to have links to Flickr photos, but I didn't see that Sticky until after I had posted them! Also, I can't edit my post to remove the link. Hmmm...can we not edit posts once they've been responded to?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Flickr or other photo sharing sites such as PhotoBucket are fine - and we love to see photos to take us back to our happy place!!! YouTube links are what is disallowed.

FYI, after a certain amount of time passes, posts are uneditable.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great first day! DD and I are heading down tomorrow and have ADRs at Be Our Guest on Saturday. Should we request a certain room to sit in, do you think?
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic report! A great room, and it sounds like you had a great meal at BOG.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: