Quantcast Mickey Gras and a Birthday Day 6 (Universal Day 1)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mickey Gras and a Birthday Day 6 (Universal Day 1)

After breakfast at Chef Mickey's we drove to Hard Rock Hotel. I went straight to check in while DH parked the car. We wanted to get into the parks as quickly as possbile so decided to unpack the car later. Today was very gloomy and there was an on and off light rain, but it looked like the skys were going to open wide at any minute!

I wish I could say check in was a breeze, but it wasn't. First we waited in line to check in. After checking in we had to take our tickets to the Express Pass kiosks set up in the lobby. You now have to scan your room key, take a picture, and your EP is printed with your dates and your photo on it. We didn't mind them trying to stop misuse, except now you have to have a room key, ticket, and express pass. There has to be a way to have these all on one ticket with your photo. There really is no need to have so many cards to keep track of. For my family of 4 that was 12 cards to keep track of!

There were 3 kiosks set up in the lobby for EP tickets, but only two working. The machine we used didn't print our first ticket and then wouldn't accept any of our other cards so we had to wiat for the other family to finish using the other machine to get our EP. We got all our EPs but, it would not allow us to get an EP on one ticket, as it stated EP already existed for that ticket. We had to go back to the check in line to have that room key reset. It was very frustrating to want to get to the parks, but have to go back and wait in the check in line again. We got the room key reset and were told to go back to the kiosk to get the EP. They said there was no other way around it. From my understanding there are EP machines in the parks, but we were never told that. I asked if there was any way to get the EP without having to wait in yet another line, and was told by the check in person that that one working kiosk in the lobby was my only option. Of course that line had built up, especially since there was now only one machine working. Many guests were still trying to use the machine we originally used and then were switching over to the only working machine, which made the line pretty long. All in all it took us a good bit over an hour to check in and get the EP squared away. Thank goodness we already had tickets purchased from Shades of Green or we would have had to wait in that long line too, as you can't purchase tickets from the check in desk. It's very, very frustrating that they can't do all this in one location upon check in. Didn't feel very much like rockstar treatment on this trip. LOL!

We were hoping to all head to the park together, but SIL's family, as well as MIL and FIL had arrived about 5 minutes after us, had issues getting all their EPs and had to purchase tickets so they were still dealing with all that.

Once in the park our first priority was Rip Ride Rocket.....but it was down, and "should be open around 1". So it was on to our other favorite ride Mummy. We had forgotten that Despicable Me was new so we stopped to do that before heading to Mummy. It was really, really cute. It's just a simulator type ride, but was really fun and we enjoyed it. Great addition to this park.

After that we went to ride Mummy, but it was down "should be open around 1". At this time the rest of the family was in the park and we decided to do Twister as we thought the in laws might like it. They enjoyed it, but it's really not something my family enjoys. Good to do once, but not really a repeat attraction for us.

We then headed to the Simpson's ride. We all went through EP, but then it seemed like we were forgotten about. There were several rows of lines and we were split between two rows and there was no one else in our section. There was a wall seperating what I guess is EP line from the regular line and we could hear people on the other side of the wall, but couldn't see them. What we could hear was talking and what sounded like a lot of movement, like they were moving along being loaded for the ride. We waited and waited and waited, till we finally started saying "I think they forgot they put us here", so much for Expres Pass. Eventually, we were loaded onto the ride. We hadn't done this ride in the past, but I have to say we'll probably never do it again. We thought it was aweful! First of all we aren't big Simpson fans, and that probably has a lot to do with it. We felt the whole thing was just obnoxious. But the ride, while just a simulator, was very, very rough. At the end of the ride I told DH that at least 2-3 times I felt by back crack when the ride vehicle thrashed back and forth. He said his back was hurting during the ride too, and even my son said he felt his back crack at one point. We love thrill rides, but this was just too jerky and rough. Hated it!!!!

After Simpson's we did Men in Black. We really like this ride. I think if the weather had been better we would have done it again later in the day since we had express pass, but with the bad weather looming over us we were trying to do each thing at least once before heading out of the park.

I think it was at this time we went back to Mummy and it was up and running, but we could see that RRR was still not running. We love, love, love Mummy. Seriously one of our favorite theme parks rides, EVER! Again, would have done this ride again and again if not for the weather.

A lot of this day is kind of fuzzy. I know at one point we saw RRR running so we hurried over only to find out it was running empty cars as a test. We were again told that it may be running later. I don't remember what else we did, I know we did ET at one point, got hotdogs from a cart, and I know we checked back at RRR again at some point. I am sure I'm forgetting soemthing, but it was just not a great day at Universal Studios for us. I think it was a combination of the frustrating morning we had trying to get the EP tickets and get into the park, our favorite rides being down, and the nasty weather, but it was probably our least favorite day of the whole trip. We ended up leaving the park early, without doing everything, becuase of the weather, but fully intended to come back later to hopefully ride RRR and Mummy again.

Back at Hard Rock we pulled the car around and unpacked. DH did a bit of work on his laptop, while I had a guitar rented out for our oldest DS. Hard Rock still doesn't have free WiFi. I mean, seriously, in this day and age they really should have free WiFi. We sure paid enough per night for the room we shouldn't have any other fees involved, but he really needed to get some work done so we paid for 2 days of wifi.

While unpacking and hanging in the room I called Universal Studios park a few times to ask about RRR and was told each time that it was not up and running. We didn't have "hoppers" so today was really our only chance to ride it. Unfortunately it didn't work out for us, and as far was we could tell it never did run that day, and the weather didn't cooperate either.

At some point I met SIL and BIL at the pool with the kids while DH stayed in the room to do some work. They swam for about 20 minutes but then had to get out due to the weather. We mostly just relaxed under the covered bar area with a few drinks, then started discussing dinner plans. We really wanted to head to City Walk, but it was getting cold and it was really wet so those plans went out the window. Instead we ordered pizza for the kiddos and us 6 adults had dinner at The Kitchen.

Our dinner was excellent. I don't remember all what was ordered, but I remember that the men had many, many drinks, lol. I think we split some alligator bites and flatbreads with the table. I ordered the filet and it was perfect. Everything was great. I would highly recommend this place for dinner. Service was also exceptional, although a bit slow at times, but the place was packed. We were very lucky to be squeezed in without a reservation. We had tried to get in at the Palms, the more upscale steak place at Hard Rock, and they were booked solid. It was Valentine's Day afterall.

After dinner we headed to the lobby. They had an "unplugged" type concert with Ryan Cabreara (sp?) that night. He was done performing by the time we arrived, but we saw him taking photos with guests. We felt really old in the lobby that night, LOL. Lots and lots of younger people. At that point we decided it was probably time for us "old folks" to go to bed. After all we had an early opening at Wizarding World of Harry Potter waiting for us in the morning!

Not our best day at Universal by a long shot. As a matter of fact if this had been our very first time, first impression of the Universal Resort, I would have probably sworn we'd never bother with the place again. As many of you know we have really enjoyed our past Universal experiences so it's not at all that I am a die hard Disney fan that tries to find fault in anything Universal does. It was just an off day for sure.

I kept thinking back to the fact that I almost didn't even book Hard Rock because of a military discount issue. When I first called to book it I was told there were no military discounts available for my dates. As soon as I said that I wasn't going to book just yet because I would be able to get a better rate by keeping my room in Disney with the military discount there, all of a sudden, minutes after I first asked, a military discount was afterall available. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. Add that to the fact that the check in/EP process is such a mess, and then the two major rides being down that day, it just really bummed us out that so much wasn't enjoyable today. But we kept on going, despite the disappointments, and did what we could to have a good time. And I really think our dinner was the days saving grace!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really want to give Universal another try, but you had all the same troubles with them that I have had in the past. It's so frustrating!

Glad that dinner at least saved the day!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that was a rough start

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What a tough day - even the weather was uncooperative!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Well .... at least dinner was good??? We really like the Kitchen. The food was really good, but it was our last night and we were all wiped out by the time we ate. Will have to try it again when we are more in the mood for a dining experience.

I just hate that you guys had such a rough day at Universal when I know you like the parks. Hopefully, WWOHP made up for it the next day.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: