Quantcast Traditions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Traditions?

What some traditions you do with your family at WDW? This will be our first trip with kids so I want to do some things that we can continue every trip. We already do Disney ornaments every year. Thanks !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink traditions

You have to do a count down calendar at home before you leave. We are at 150 days right now, and I promised my girls we would start our countdown at 100 days.
    We also buy an ornament every trip and I usually get several little things to put in our shadowbox at home.
    Once we get there, we don't have that many traditions except meeting as many characters as we can and getting the passports at Epcot. My girls love Epcot so we spend a good bit of time there. Enjoy!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We have a tradition to do the same thing on our first day/night in wdw. After checking in, usually early to mid morning, we enjoy our resort for the rest of the day. We go to 6pm mass at a nearby church, then it's Ohana for dinner, followed by Wishes from the poly beach and a spin around the monorail loop.

I try to take the same picture of my boys, walking down main street USA toward the castle, arms around each other. It's amazing how they have grown since that first pic.

Our last stop before the drive home is always the poly. We take one last trip on the monorail. We also always throw coins into the fountain in the poly lobby on our way out, wishing to return again shortly. We do this on every single trip!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We buy an ornament, a tshirt for each of us, and a new pin for each.

We eat breakfast at Chef MIckey's on the last morning before we leave for home.

We also buy older pins in bulk off ebay and bring them to trade.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We also buy an ornament. And we always have breakfast at Kona Cafe to kick off our trip. We may order different things but we always toast our trip with a Mimosa (for me) and Wasabi Bloody Mary's!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Tradition for our family is to start our Disney vacation at the Magic Kingdom the first day.
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

We always buy an ornament with the year on it and we ALWAYS go the Magic Kingdom first and make Pirates of the Caribbean our very first ride!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

DW usually gets a year marked Christmas ornament.
    I used to get a skull from POTC til she put her foot down.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We have various traditions that we don't always do every trip. We have certain restaurants that are must dos but if we miss them, it's still a good trip. Some traditions are location specific, like if we are staying at a MK resort, we must watch the Electric Boat Parade as much as possible.

One thing I think we have not missed in maybe 20 years is trying to pull the sword out of the stone near the Carrousel in Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. Even as teens, the kids in our extended family have to try to pull the sword. The photos are so fun, with the kids growing up, and how hard they try to pull.

We miss the ceremony they used to have and hopefully the stone and sword will continue to occupy that little piece of walkway.

So . . . pick some photo place - there are bunches everywhere - and start a photo tradition there. One good one, and easy to get to, is the totem pole outside the store at Wilderness Lodge. But there are lots of places - the speeder at Disney Hollywood Studios, almost anywhere along World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot, especially with Spaceship Earth in the background, maybe one of the dinosaurs along the Cretaceous Trail at Animal Kingdom.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We have a few traditions, mostly on arrival day! And some years I've tried to shake things up a bit & my kids have always replied - "But we always..." So we always arrive midday & spend part of that day at DTD, shopping & dining. We too always purchase the personalized Christmas ornament! We also like to ask someone to take a family photo of us in the winter themed statue setting just outide of the Christmas shop - this is great for Christmas cards! We also take a picture of our DS's in front of the Loch Ness monster in the lake there! It's so neat to look back & see them in the same exact setting, over the years & see how they've grown! After DTD we always enjoy some pool time on our first night, unpack & settle in for a good night's rest before our first park day!

Beyond that, it's mostly about we always visit the parks in the same order, we always eat here or there, I always get at least one new antenna topper! We always take midday breaks & go back to resort for some pool time & usually eat dinner poolside before heading back to the parks for the evening. And we always make the MK our first & last day parks, this has been tradition since our 2nd trip. We do have a few other photo op places that we always take pics, but that's about it.
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We buy a new ornament and beach towel every trip. We also try to take pictures in the same spot. One of our favorites is the indian (now on Main Street). We have a great picture of my dad with my sister and I from 1984 and it was so fun to recreate it with my Dad and nephew and niece on our last few trips.
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

How old are your kids? We always let our DDs 6&9 pick out new charms each trip for the their Disney charm bracelets. Also, they get new pins for their lanyard. We always like to start our trip off at the same place, MK, of course.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

my traditions are more "grown up" traditions, but some are good for everyone...here are the biggies

`im not a pin trader, but i like to get one unique pin each year to keep.

`i always eat at Tokyo Dining every trip. It's usually a light meal, or snack, but I never have to worry about ADR, and just walk up.

`mickey ear ice cream

`i like to sit and have a drink or two at the poolside bars at the resorts. I love to see who sits next to me, and i always like chatting with people i don't know. i always meet the coolest people doing so.

`i ride Spaceship Earth multiple times before leaving, but I like to do the second/third/ect times in a different language. Sometimes it's a language i speak, sometimes not so much. It's just fun.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies! My son will be 2 months away from 3 & my daughter will be 18 months. I love the idea of taking the same picture every year! Also, I do the charm bracelet for myself, so ill definitely start that for my daughter. Thank you for all the great ideas!!!

Post Thanks / Like

On the first night at VWL we always eat at Trail's End and on the final night we eat at Artist Point.

Although your children are still young, we always spend one night in the arcade playing games as a family. I even won the top prize in the stacker game once.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

My father passed away a little after my DD's first trip. She and my dad had so much fun on the trip together and we have so many good memories. Every time we go now, DD will draw and write a card for her grandpa. We buy a balloon on Main Street, tie the card to it, she gives it a kiss, and lets it go to grandpa in Heaven.

Its a sad start to the happiness, but it reminds her of how special that trip was.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should bring this up.

My dad passed away two years ago, but we used to do a lot of Disney together. I'm trying to recall a few of our traditions, but mostly we did what we could and when it was the best time, so we changed a lot of plans around each trip. We did eat a the hibachi restaurant in Japan a lot. We tried to fit it in every trip.

Now that he is gone, DBF and I are trying to build a life together and so we're starting to create our traditions.

We make it a point to go to the food and wine festival every year, despite whats going on in work. It's a little difficult because he works in politics and I work in elections so September/November are REALLY busy times for us.

Each year we alternate the "starting direction." We head towards Canada one year, and then towards Mexico the the other. That way we don't miss out on the "end" stuff each time because we're full. We also try to eat at Prime Time every visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    My father passed away a little after my DD's first trip. She and my dad had so much fun on the trip together and we have so many good memories. Every time we go now, DD will draw and write a card for her grandpa. We buy a balloon on Main Street, tie the card to it, she gives it a kiss, and lets it go to grandpa in Heaven.

Its a sad start to the happiness, but it reminds her of how special that trip was.
    Aw, that is really really nice. Really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Our very first trip to WDW was when our daughter was 3 1/2. As the years passed we made it a tradition of seeing Fantasmic the first and last nights of our trip.

Cut backs have impacted the show being every night so now we work around the show and still make sure we see it twice while at WDW. Hopefully, it will be the first or last night

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually get checked in to the resort and then head to DTD (since we don't usually have a park ticket for our arrival day) and get a personalized ornament made. Another tradition is going to our favorite restaurants. During our planning, each family member gets to pick one favorite restaurant to make reservations. We also have pictures taken in the same place (i.e. in front of the castle). It is fun to see how the children have grown. In our first picture, I am holding our 17 mo. old son. Now he's 6'1" and towers over me!
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC