Quantcast What's Up With the Darn Airfares?!?!?!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Up With the Darn Airfares?!?!?!

What is UP with the darn airfares!?!?! (except the ridiculous prices!). We always fly Southwest but Geez Louise! They are insane!

Is here any hope in sight?
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you! We've been checking daily, Airtran is now nearly double what we paid a few years ago (Thanks Southwest!) and they raised their bag fees! I feel horrible because a friend of DD's is joining us and when I quoted some prices for her parents (before they committed) I was way low on the airfare component, I kinda feel bad saying " oops it's nearly double what we anticipated". An article I read somewhere said expect it to get worse not better.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the deal.

Don't book early. The airlines have turned to offering some of their highest fares way out in advance of a flight, in order to get as many people to "bite" as possible at the higher fares. As time goes by, and flights get closer to departure, you will see "sales" pop up, offering significant discounts on unsold seats.

I see you are going this summer. It is WAY too early to be booking that. Wait another 4 months or so.

Southwest, in particular, is notorious for offering "sales" every week. Just keep an eye on your flight, and book it when the price is right for you.

Or, if you travel Southwest frequently enough, just book at the higher price and then adjust your booking as the price comes down, thus getting a credit for future travel.

Honestly, it doesn't pay to book early anymore. The ONLY airline that I know of that consistently starts with their lowest fares and only goes UP is Jet Blue. Even then, though, they offer sale fares when they are having trouble selling flights.

Problem is, Orlando is a high demand destination. Prices are reflective of supply and demand.

Can you tweak your travel dates to fall on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursdays? Those are traditionally the lowest cost days to fly.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Don't book early. The airlines have turned to offering some of their highest fares way out in advance of a flight, in order to get as many people to "bite" as possible at the higher fares. As time goes by, and flights get closer to departure, you will see "sales" pop up, offering significant discounts on unsold seats.
    i agree, Natalie. My last two flights to Orlando were booked down to the wire, just three weeks before the departure date. And my flight for an upcoming trip to LAX (Disneyland!) was booked less than two months in advance.It's a little nerve-wracking but the prices do eventually come down. I would suggest checking airfares frequently, especially on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, when airfare wars seem to start. And doesn't Southwest have that Ding feature to notify customers of special deals (as you can tell, I don't fly Southwest).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest just had a one day sale Friday for certain dates in February but we're mainly for weekdays 81.00 each way. Obviously the planes weren't not filled.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest

We fly Southwest as well. When we were booking for our Oct vacation - we waited and finally recieved an email for a deal and got all of our tickets (3) for a total of $570! That didn't even come out until the end of June, and we also moved our vacation date up 2 weeks to get the deal (which we lucked out and Disney offered free dining a month later for that same date). Also, we flew out on a Monday. Good luck! Sign up for the all the emails you can receive!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

We booked with Southwest on Oct 9, 2012 for February trip. We paid $134 each round trip. Sounds great. However, we will be flying to Orlando by way of Minnesota. DH has concerns about the weather. So do I. So, I am looking for possible nonstop for way down that doesn't break my budget.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Here's the deal.

I see you are going this summer. It is WAY too early to be booking that. Wait another 4 months or so.

Southwest, in particular, is notorious for offering "sales" every week. Just keep an eye on your flight, and book it when the price is right for you.

Or, if you travel Southwest frequently enough, just book at the higher price and then adjust your booking as the price comes down, thus getting a credit for future travel.

Honestly, it doesn't pay to book early anymore. The ONLY airline that I know of that consistently starts with their lowest fares and only goes UP is Jet Blue. Even then, though, they offer sale fares when they are having trouble selling flights.

Problem is, Orlando is a high demand destination. Prices are reflective of supply and demand.

Can you tweak your travel dates to fall on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursdays? Those are traditionally the lowest cost days to fly.
    Agreed. We booked Friday for a 2/26 departure and it was $69 going down and $95 coming back. Keep checking---hopefully they will come down like ours did.
    By the way, we tweaked our dates to a tues-tues.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest doesn't always have the lowest fares anymore. I have found that United often has a lower fare than Southwest. If you can carry on your luggage it might want to check out a few other airlines.
    Good Luck.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emerzmom View Post
    Southwest doesn't always have the lowest fares anymore. I have found that United often has a lower fare than Southwest. If you can carry on your luggage it might want to check out a few other airlines.
    Good Luck.

Julie
    Interesting....my experience is that United has pretty high fares to Orlando since they merged with Continental. I don't think they have a whole lot of competition now, especially for people like me who live in the NW suburbs and don't want to fly out of Hobby. I wished there was a regional competitor, like JetBlue, to help drive down the prices.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

WE are going at Thanksgiving and United is the lowest of all the airlines that have flights out now (by like >$200 in some cases). I know the holidays are prime travel time and chances are rates will not go down a lot. My question, for those who have traveled in this time period (Weds b4 T'giving and return Sunday--yes us and the re r est of the universe!) DO you think it is best to book now or wait til the Southwest rates come out?

We traveled to Tampa this past Christmas and we booked about this time and the rates never went down so I am a little leary of waiting.

Thanks for any info.
    2001--First time for DS and me!
    2004--First time for DD!
    2007--First time at Poly!
    2013--Thanksgiving with Mickey & good friends!

Post Thanks / Like

I find it makes me feel better when I blame it on the current administration, whoever that might be. Doesn't fix the prices, but it makes you feel better.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Think about lesser desirable flight times/days when you have a choice, also check out other area airports and see if you would make out better even with the increased distance.

We're flying Southwest non stop to Orlando from Hartford, leaving early morning on a Wednesday, returning late night on a Wednesday, less than $400 for two roundtrip. I thought that was pretty **** good, and booked 6 months out too.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, just book our summer cruise airfare and this year is the cheapest flights we've gotten in a while.

No complaints from me about flights..

Post Thanks / Like

I found that Southwest changes their prices as often as the wind changes direction. Check every day. From Islip (Long Island, NY) we got $109 down to Orlando and $140 back during Presidents Week school break. I was pretty pleased with that! I'he days of $60 flights from NY are over I guess

Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching several times every day. Booked going down in March through Southwest. I am not pleased with the price, $295.00, but it was the lowest at the time. I continue to watch in case it goes down. Coming back I have not found anything yet. Hoping to find something under $200.00. We have already booked our flight going down in September for around $300.00. (round trip) When we saw this we booked. Figured that even if it goes down it won't by much and better to have them then be in the position I'm in now.

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep checking daily if you can and book when you feel the price is right. We usually fly Southwest but they were higher than the others this time around. I booked United for the flight to Florida and AirTran for our return trip. Even paying the baggage fees they were cheaper than Southwest. Ticket prices doubled two days after I purchased them. Airfare is no longer very affordable!

October 1990 (off WDW)
    September 2004 (WL)
    December 2006 (WL)
    February 2013 (POR)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: