Quantcast Staggs Says Avatar Land Is Still On

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Staggs Says Avatar Land Is Still On

Hadn't seen this posted here yet...

"Snurched" from another site.....

During the Grand Opening Press Event for Walt Disney World’s New Fantasyland, Parks and Resort Chairman Tom Staggs confirmed that another one of the WDW projects is still on track – that being the Avatar Land to be built in Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

News on the “Avatar” land front has been quiet for some time since it was announced more than a year ago. This has caused the rumor mill to be filled with stories that the land was either being re-evaluated or even cancelled. Fuel was poured on the rumor mill fire recently when Disney announced the acquisition of Lucasfilms and the rights to the “Star Wars” franchise.

But Staggs reaffirms that the development plans are continuing. ”We’ve gotten more excited about Avatar as we’ve gone through development. Because we are finding that really playing around with this notion of allowing guests to visit Pandora can be very magical. We’re not in construction yet. We’re still in development. And we’re still honing exactly what we’re going to do. But it’s going to be big.”

Staggs compares the Avatar development to that of the newly opened “Cars” Land in DCA and the New Fantasyland at MK. “We love that as a direction,” Staggs said. “We’re going to go for that in Avatar. Cars Land has been a tremendous hit in Anaheim. It’s such a hit with our guests that it clearly factors into our thinking about the long-range plans for our other properties,” he said. “We haven’t made any final decisions about if or when that might happen. But we’re excited to see how much the guests are really loving that land.”

Staggs also confirmed that the presence of “Star Wars” in its theme parks will expand, ”You’ll see more Star Wars in the parks,” Staggs said.

Prior to any Avatar or Star Wars development however, Disney must complete the roll out of it’s “NextGen” project which has been in development for years. ”NextGen” pieces include a reservations system which allows visitors to book rides from home, keyless hotel-room doors and interactive ride queues.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they change their mind and cancel it....it'll turn out like john carter.Stick with Star Wars and make a Star Wars Land in one of the parks(I just got my Star Tours CM uniform shirt today)!!!
    Last edited by GBBT; 12-12-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add on
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

It is still on, but it is very telling that nothing of real substance has been leaked or shown to the public... unless you want to count that year old picture they released last week, where Staggs, Vaughn, and Cameron looked bored to tears over a green field with not much on it... Cameron has given the go ahead for the ride/rides, but as for the land, nothing is remotely close to being agreed upon...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember any other announced attraction that so many people wished they'd cancel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    I can't remember any other announced attraction that so many people wished they'd cancel.
    Exactly.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Exactly.
    I dont understand it, I think this is an area that can be so visually stunning and the options of attractions could be awesome. I think if Disney does it right, it'll be a huge success.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Hyperion Whiff, I mean Wharf was met with a collective sign, then plenty of groans...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Yawn.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Yawn.
    That is exactly how I felt after the Hyperion Wharf announcement...

Oh and I last night I meant to say the announcement was meant with a sigh and groans... I typed signs, didn't realize it... Had a very very long day....

Post Thanks / Like

Lame. Another simulator ride. Nothing worth re-riding. Scrap it while u can!
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a nice layout plan today for the relocated FoTLK show building behind the Dawai bar in Africa. Also appears to be spots for character meet and greets as well.

Plans also call for a southern pathway in that area which would lead out of the new "Avatar" land.

Looks like the placesetting is gaining steam...

Post Thanks / Like

Or if you were to believe the new rumors, Avatar is once again dead.. LOL.. But, I'm not sure how I feel about the rumored replacement.. Um, Star Wars in DAK???

Post Thanks / Like

Well... if you build a Wookie village below and and Ewok treehouses above, how bad can it be? They're animals, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    Well... if you build a Wookie village below and and Ewok treehouses above, how bad can it be? They're animals, right?
    Um, no... Just. No.. LoL... Avatar fits much better than Star Wars does... Star Wars belongs in DHS... There is no way anyone can make Star Wars fit into DAK...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree BTW... SW has no right being in AK. Just wondering how they could possibly sell such a concept.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree BTW... SW has no right being in AK. Just wondering how they could possibly sell such a concept.
    The same way they can sell the concept that adding meet and greets is even better than adding e-ticket attractions... People just accept anything Disney does cause it is Disney...

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to Lasseter and the rest of the leadership team... they seem to be a little more "with it" regarding themeing and placement.

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to Lasseter and the rest of the leadership team... they seem to be a little more "with it" regarding themeing and placement.
    Ah ok, I figured you mean the management team in Orlando... I'm not sure how much JL really gets involved with projects other than Pixar ones... He held Disney to high standards with Cars Land but whether he gets highly involved with any projects in WDW remains to be seen...

Post Thanks / Like

Or Dagobah, or Naboo...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Or Dagobah, or Naboo...

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Share This Thread On Social Media: