Quantcast Beer and wine to be served at Be Our Guest - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    "To beer, the cause of and solution to, all the world's problems. - Homer Simpson
    Beer ruined Duff gardens!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    [really big bold font]
    "PLEASE WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!"

But back in the real world, it's nice to see adults being treated like adults. It makes no sense to me that a glass of wine that someone else is drinking with their dinner could get someone upset. Live and let live.
    The problem: a lot of adults with a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers in them stop acting like adults. And some of you will claim that you can hold your liqour and it's not a problem. You know how many time I've heard that very line right before people start getting stupid?

No one has adequately explained why this is needed in the MK. For all the DDP haters and those who say food has declined, will wine and beer really suddenly make your meal better? Just order a Coke and be happy.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    No one has adequately explained why this is needed in the MK..
    I don't think any one of us could explain why this is needed as it is certainly well above most of our security clearances. What I believe is happening: BOG is the only cash cow in the FLE. Early indicators...ie the rush for ADRs that crashed the phone system for the whole Disney resort.. sent a strong message to the bean counters. The sheer popularity made them think about how they could increase and maximize revinue. Easiest thing to do is offer the most profitable item in any restaurant. Alcohol. They can look at all of their restaurants and determine how many tables order alcohol with their meals. Having that information and taking the real numbers and dollars they would lose by not selling alcohol at BOG to the traditionalist in the corp. it was probably an easy sell. Just my guess.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    While I am not able to speak for all "you people.' I think it may have to do more with tradition and principle than drunkeness.
    I could not agree more.

Besides, this $8 - $9 beer means no one will get drunk argument is getting old. Has anyone ever witnessed drinking at Fenway or Yankee stadiums? For that matter, any major city in the US. I normally pay $13 -16 a glass (wine, liquor) when out, which is mainly in cities and there are PLENTY of drunkards in those environments. In fact, I've seen it more than I'd like to admit at EPCOT. REGARDLESS, as I've said previously, I think Disney will handle it OK. The possibility of drunks will always exist ANYWHERE alcohol is served because everyone's tolerance is different. This not the point here - it's tradition, the opportunity for Disney to increase their profit margins in this individual restaurant while testing out how alcohol goes over in MK (and thus, seeing if it would go over well in other locations in that particular park).

Let's take the logical route here and move on from the "drinks are not cheap here, therefore no one will get drunk" argument...
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney hungarian View Post
    i don't think any one of us could explain why this is needed as it is certainly well above most of our security clearances. What i believe is happening: Bog is the only cash cow in the fle. Early indicators...ie the rush for adrs that crashed the phone system for the whole disney resort.. Sent a strong message to the bean counters. The sheer popularity made them think about how they could increase and maximize revinue. Easiest thing to do is offer the most profitable item in any restaurant. Alcohol. They can look at all of their restaurants and determine how many tables order alcohol with their meals. Having that information and taking the real numbers and dollars they would lose by not selling alcohol at bog to the traditionalist in the corp. It was probably an easy sell. Just my guess.
    Well said, Disney Hungarian!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    But those are *resort* locations - OUTSIDE of the Magic Kingdom.

Yes...Walt *did* allow alcohol at Club 33 - but, that was a *very* exclusive location (for Walt's guests and VIP's; you can't just walk up and ask for a table) - membership required (and a seven-year waiting list...) - and it ain't cheap. The other three Florida parks already serve alcohol - there's no need for it at Magic Kingdom in my opinion.

Interesting story:

When Walt was scouting for a location for his "new park" in the early to mid 1960's, one location was to be St. Louis. Augie Busch (of Anheuser-Busch) was going to be one of the largest supporters. When Augie asked Walt if he was going to serve alcohol at his new park in St. Louis, Walt replied, "Certainly not. It's a family park." Augie then asked Walt how he was going to make any money by *not* selling alcohol, and Walt basically told him to "shove it". That's how/why the "new park" ended up in Florida. Walt did not want any alcohol in his "Magic Kingdoms".
    That IS a very interesting story. Yes, things change, things evolve. However, I feel like they should evolve in the spirit of the tradition of the parks. Without this, we lose the identity of the Disney parks we hold dear. Its yet another compromise that will lead to more and more decisions completely motivated by profit with a disregard for what the park is supposed to mean under the guise of "customer service". To me, this is one of the things you don't mess with and what disappoints me about this decision...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s when you couldn't even purchase a shot glass anywhere on property. I distinctly remember because my friend collected them, and we went to WDW for spring break every year, and she could never find any. I know it's not equivalent to this decision, but I remember being surprised when I saw them popping up various places.

I'm okay with this. Yes, I enjoy a good drink, and have no issue with having beer or wine available as part of a fine dining experience. But like many others, beer/wine carts and availability at QS restaurants just wouldn't seem right, and I do hope they don't go that direction.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest the whole issue of alcohol and how it can be so 'taboo' is almost comical and so Americanized in thinking IMO.

I'm all for it. I don't believe in restricting rights or making something taboo based on fear. I have a glass of wine with dinner a few times a week. My husband may have a mixed drink or a beer. My children are right there. However having family from overseas and it just being a natural part of life, I just don't get the keep it dry mentality. But that is just my own opinion!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I haven't read through the multiple pages of this thread to see everyone's answers, but the biggest drawback to me is the fact that they've linked it with Beauty and the Beast. Children are very easily influenced.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    So I guess you don't take your kids to Epcot, DAK, DHS, to see Fantasmic, or to any restaurant in any other part of WDW??? And you don't stay in any WDW resort since alcohol is served all over??? Do you avoid DTD as well??? Cause they are exposed to "that stuff" everywhere in WDW...
    This issue, like so many for parents, is neither an all in or all out kind of thing...and the truth is that as regular posters on Intercot most all of us know from previous posts that Gator has not avoided taking his family to the other Disney parks or to Fantasmic.

He, as most parents likely ultimately do, sometimes chooses to take his family to places that aren't completely morally pristine or where elements of the prevailing culture create personal moral tension. And I would imagine that he, like me, probably attempts to use those situations (where culture and personal family values collide) as teachable moments where he strives to pass his values to the children he raises. This is of course simply part of parenting.

However, as a parent it is nice to have times (like a vacation) when you can escape having to constantly be on guard against what you perceive to be negative influencers on your family. And while WDW as a whole was not such a place (in regards to the issue of alcohol), the MK did provide an area of reprieve where there was one less issue to deal with.

To those who view it in that way, the addition of adult beverages into this particular setting is also especially disappointing because it feels a bit like some of the innocence (of a place built with children and families in mind) is being lost.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    So, what does everyone think?
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Children are very easily influenced.
    Hopefully children are influenced more by their parents than the behavior of a complete stranger or a restaurant menu.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Tradition is what you make it to be.

The kewl thing about Tradition is that over years Tradition evolve. Let me explain.

As you grow up as a child your parents pass down there ideas and traditions to you. As you get older and more mature you hold on to these same traditions but they change because you are different then your parents. Any while you still have that core foundation you grew up with your traditions change slightly to encompass your own ideas. The same thing happens when you have kids, and they have there own ideas and you incorporate there ideas into your traditions.

So too, Walt was the founder and he had his traditions. But over the years as Disney grew up so too those traditions have embraced new ones and evolved.

Traditions evolve, they are what we make them to be. And this is just Disney taking what Walt started with and adding there own ideas.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s when you couldn't even purchase a shot glass anywhere on property. I distinctly remember because my friend collected them, and we went to WDW for spring break every year, and she could never find any. I know it's not equivalent to this decision, but I remember being surprised when I saw them popping up various places.
    Well, not the 90s. I honeymooned in 1990 and came home with shot glasses. They even gave out souvenir wine glasses with the wine tastings in World Showcase. I still have mine from France, Germany, and Italy. I don't know how she missed them, but they were everywhere in resorts and World Showcase. Unless you're talking distinctly MK.
    Last edited by John; 09-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Well, not the 90s. I honeymooned in 1990 and came home with shot glasses.
    Weird. Because I know it was that time period. Maybe it was just one that had Magic Kingdom on it.

Post Thanks / Like

For me this was just one of the things that set Disney apart from the competition.
    I drink beer and my family has a vineyard in Hungary. So I do enjoy a good glass of wine too. I had no problem with the MK not serving alcohol. I have no problem with MK serving alcohol. I just liked the fact that it was kept dry as a tradition.
    Having reflected on this; I tend to fuss about Disney, not because I don't like Disney. I fuss because I want Disney to succeed. I want Disney to be very profitable so the maintenance can be done. I want Disney to succeed because I want to continue to visit there. I don't think this new policy will hurt Disney's bottom line so I will just have to accept it. My fussing about it is over.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

When you come down to it, there are several reasons not to put alcohol in the Magic Kingdom. They have been discussed here. On the other hand, no-one will convince me that there is more than one compelling reason to put alcohol in the MK, profit. Alcohol is the most profitable thing sold in restaurants. I guarantee you, if this happens, wine and beer will end up in Tony's, because "surveyed guests said they wanted it". How do you make an all you can eat place that is always full more profitable? Beer and wine, it's coming to Crystal Palace as well. This is the opening TDO needed, a new different restaurant. After some time has passed, it will start showing up elsewhere.

If you don't think anyone will get drunk on $8 -$9 wine and beer, you are naive. It happens everywhere. How much is wine and beer in Epcot?

Do I drink wine and beer at WDW? Yes. Do I think it should be at MK, no.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've heard so many reasons (mostly from people who like to drink...not all people who like to drink, but most) of why wine and beer should be served in MK, how it won't affect anything, and how most people won't blink an eye at the fact, but in my opinion, it's just justification for them to get to do what they want to do. Like I have said in a previous post, my family and friends have made it a point to seek out the alcoholic drinks in EPCOT (that's one of the reasons they like to go. To get drinks) and I'm sure they'll seek it out at BoG (regardless of prices). It's just something else that will make me uncomfortable. I'm very excited to see, and eat in this beautiful new restaurant, so I will just try to focus on the theme and food, instead of anything else. Just gonna try to make the best of it

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well. Suppose this finally puts the "What would Walt do?" questions out to pasture once and for all.

I wish they weren't doing it, but there's no going back from this.

I can understand the case that has been made. However, I find it highly unlikely that Disney will stop at this. If there is one thing current management is consistent at, it is taking a "good thing" and overdoing it. If it is going over well, especially if it is making money hand over fist, they are unlikely to be able to resist the temptation to take it one step further. They've done it with everything over recent years. Always taking something one or two steps further than they really should.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand how this news would put some people off--I did a bit of a double-take myself when I heard it. But in the end I don't think it's that big of a deal. In any case, there is really nothing to do but wait and see if any of the doom-and-gloom prophecies come to pass. Personally, I think it will be just fine and the Magical Kingdom will remain magical. As far as kids, if a parent is opposed to their children witnessing beer and wine being served at the restaurant, then just don't bring them to dinner there. Lunch will be alcohol-free.

Quote Originally Posted by disney2012 View Post
    I would say outside of the boards and Disney fans, if you took a general poll of guests, no on would blink an eye either way, and its a money maker.
    I totally agree with this statement. I think the people who frequent the WDW boards and go to Disney World on a regular basis tend to be much more traditionalist than the general public.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I really did like the 'innocence' of MK with the former policy of no booze. It was just sort of a cool, unique thing to do.

But true Disney fans know that the Beast often drank himself into a stupor over his cursed form. This will make for a more accurate portrayal of the story.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: