Quantcast Fear of flying - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like

Go visit your doctor. A little Xanax helps quite well. Pack a DVD player...watch a movie as soon as they let you turn on electronics. Sit on the outside instead of by the window. Soon you will feel like your on a bus.

There's also an "airplane" pillow you can purchase. Funny looking actually but it's always in the SkyMall catelog. You blow it up and set it on your tray. Put your head down and take a nap.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Just curious Denise, but why are the boys scared of flying? I'm so thankful that my fear hasn't rubbed off on my boys and in fact, they even enjoy it. Thank goodness, since we've had to fly across the world more than once. My youngest even goes up in small planes every once in a while with his great uncle and it makes me a nervous wreck.
    Not sure Melanie. I think it's a combination of them knowing my fear, and just the unknown factor. They actually go back and forth a bit. Once in a while one of them will say "I think I do want to fly, it might be fun", and the other will say "no way, I NEVER want to fly". DH flies all the time, all over the world, so they know that it's safe. My youngest did say on the ride home, after the wreck, that he thinks he'd rather fly than drive next time we go to Disney. I think once they fly they'll be over it.

It would probably do me some good to fly too, get over my fear as well. I think 911 may be what fostered my fear. That and having kids generally made me fear more things than I did before kids.

When we went to Dallas this summer DH said, after the fact, that we probably should have flown. It's such a short flight from home that it would have been a good first flight for the kids.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Can you buy that Otrivin in stores? I always get headaches from the high pressure messing with my sinuses.
    We can get it in the cold and sinus aisle at the drug stores here in Canada. I don't know about in USA. It may be a controlled substance and you may have to ask the pharmacist for it.

It's funny, (strange, odd, perhaps; maybe not funny) that my cousin was just visiting and was saying that she hates flying and had to be medicated to get on the plane to go to Miami for her honeymoon cruise. Her husband said to her before they started the flight home, "Well, you've had the first flight under your belt, you should be fine. Why not skip taking the medication?"

Half-way home he was pleading with her, "TAKE THE PILL!"
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm home now, and just wanted to say thank you all for the advice. So thankful to be on the ground, lol. Going there, I discovered rocking back and forth helped with not feeling the bumps when turbulence hit. My family looked at me like I was nuts. The seatbelt light came on 4 times, not fun! On the way home, my family had to decide who HAD to sit by me. I actually cried when we took off. 5 hrs. of sheer terror for me. And I did take a Xanax. My poor son, his hand was purple from my squeezing it so hard. He was so sweet, got the dvd player out and played movies for me. That actually did help a little. I honestly don't ever think I will conquer this fear. I just hate it. Now my brother is getting married in Feb. in Columbia, and wants me to be there. Ugh, can I swim that far? I was thinking perhaps taking a cruise, and hopping off near there. Don't think that's legal though. Anyhow, thanks again everyone, and for everyone else who's afraid, you are definitely not alone!
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

DH has a fear of flying. 1 1/2 xanax and a screwdriver(Vodka and OJ) are usually enough to put him out, and recently we've found that music definitely helps create a little bubble to send him off to dreamland. I have lots of anxiety over many things... but thankfully flying isn't one. When the plane takes off, I usually bless myself and say a Hail Mary (like a good Catholic girl ) and throw a little prayer up to mine and DH's dearly departed, and that sets me at ease. But I can totally understand those who fear flying, because like I said, I have quite a few irrational fears myself!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: