Quantcast Disney to ban junk food ads - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!

I've never seen people complain about something so benign as I do on this board! My goodness!!

Why slam Disney for doing this?? Does it really affect you that much personally? Will it make you stop watching the Disney Channel? Really.... How does this impact you?

I see no harm in what they're doing. Will it help? Possibly.

Will it hurt ANYONE? Highly, highly doubt it.

If this is such a small, insignificant, worthless thing Disney is doing, and nobody here buys ANY of the junk anyway, then it stands to reason nobody will miss the commercials, either..... right?

Just sayin'.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad Disney is doing something about it, but at the same time it doesn't really solve anything. Childhood obesity is the result of parents allowing their children to eat excessively high amounts of calories either in the form of snacks, deserts, etc. Eliminating a commerical for Twinkie's is not going to make any dent in the problem. it seems shallow, I guess.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Children don't run up to their parents and say, "Mommy, can you please buy this for me? I saw it on a commercial!" Advertising is way more insidious than that. Research has shown that children as young as age 2 express signs of brand loyalty. I don't see anything wrong with Disney trying to boost its image with this announcement.

But here's the rub: What does "meet the company's nutrition standards" mean? Does that mean cereals with boatloads of sugar will still be advertised because they're also loaded with vitamins? It will interesting to see what these "standards" turn out to be.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

business decision
    pr move
    exhibiting responsibility
    showing leadership

All of the above.

Putting the blame on the parents shoulders is all well and good (and justified), but it takes a village to raise a child, and the village has been just as irresponsible as the parent.

You see it on trucks and buildings all the time:

"Not Responsible"

I've even seen it within this thread...
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, It does NOT take a village to raise a child. It doesn't take the governement or corporate entity to raise my child either.

It is a dog and pony show that most people are too lazy to recognize.

There is too much of a "wow" factor and NO critical thinking about the deeper implications of any of this.

The LAST thing ANYBODY should want is somebody else telling you how to run your life or how to raise your children.

While what Disney is doing maybe innoculous in itself but that doesn't mean it is a slippery slope that we should NEVER want traverse.

However, again, there are going people who are going to echo the "Please, won't somebody PLEASE think of the children???"

Post Thanks / Like

Disney isn't telling ANYONE they have to do ANYTHING. You still have your freedom to decide what to eat.

They aren't telling you to never eat any junk food. They simply won't advertise those things during children's programming. It's their choice to do so, just as it's your choice to feed your kids whatever you want.

And, if you never feed junk food to your kids, then this shouldn't impact you.

And for those who feel this is a joke, and Disney isn't doing enough.... What are they really supposed to do? Go to every manufacturer of junk food and tell them to shut their doors? Really.... what?

Should Disney get rid of everything in their parks that's bad for us? No more Mickey ice cream, or Dole Whips, or French or Italian food, or beer, or just about anything on the menu at Chef Mickey's? Kiss the Food and Wine Festival goodbye. So long Wishes Dessert Party. Want fries with that soy based tofu burger? Tough, can't have 'em.

You can't use the foods offered in WDW as any argument against Disney's stand on junk food ads and consumption. They have to offer normal food, and that means offering the good and the bad, and you decide how much of it you consume. Nobody is forcing that hot fudge sundae down your throat when you could get fresh fruit at the cart nearby.

It's ultimately up to us to decide what to eat. Disney can't, and won't solve the poor eating habits of many Americans. It's not their responsibility to do so.

So, relax. This last move by Disney isn't going to hurt anyone. I don't think they're trying some new-fangled Vulcan mind trick on all of us. It'll be okay.

For those who want to see the guidElines, here they are.... GUIDELINES
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I totally disagree that Disney should be let off the hook for the obvious hypocrisy in this decision. You can't reap massive profits peddling your own junk food to tourists on one hand and then try to take the high road on the other hand.

In general, though, I agree ... this is a business decision for Disney. They obviously think the good PR from this will generate more revenue for them in the long run than whatever they were getting from the junk food ads.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    You can't use the foods offered in WDW as any argument against Disney's stand on junk food ads and consumption.
    oh, but I can and do...it is the height of corporate hypocrisy to actually sell what you rather self-righteously refuse to advertise.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    oh, but I can and do...it is the height of corporate hypocrisy to actually sell what you rather self-righteously refuse to advertise.
    This is the key point that us "complainers" are trying to point out.

It is certainly justifiable to call Disney out on their hypocrisy here. How can you say you have healthy guidelines for food that you are exposing kids to, but then have an entire CANDY store full of packaging plastered with the name Disney and a massive variety of your characters on the packaging? Don't tell me that the giant princess lollipops and Goofy sour sugar are supposed to be for adults? This is just the tip of the iceberg too. This stuff is not just available at the parks. You can find Disney "junk" food all over the supermarket. I'm sorry, but slapping Mater on the cartons of Juicy Juice and trying to call it "healthy" because it's "100% apple juice" is ludicrous. Kids don't need to be drinking apple juice. NO ONE needs to drink apple juice. Apple Juice is not "healthy".

I am all for Disney pushing more natural/whole foods like fresh fruits and veggies, as well as whole grains. Nothing wrong with that. Offering a variety is what it's all about. Giving consumers a choice is essential.

However, claiming that you're going to ban ads for foods you consider to be "junk" because it doesn't meet the company's healthy guidelines is baseless if the company continues to sell the junk elsewhere.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    but slapping Mater on the cartons of Juicy Juice and trying to call it "healthy" because it's "100% apple juice" is ludicrous. Kids don't need to be drinking apple juice. NO ONE needs to drink apple juice. Apple Juice is not "healthy".
    Couldn't agree more. It doesn't make sense for Disney to say, 'we'll advertise Mater juice with 180 calories a serving, but we won't advertise a snack-sized bag of Cheeto's with the same amount of calories or even slightly less because that's 'junk food'.' It's just dumb and doesn't do anything to fix the problem.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I see it less as hypocrisy and more of a calculated assessment of what the consumer will tolerate. If they did away with all junk in the parks how much of an outrage would that cause? America is in the midst of a health crisis because of the foods we eat. Something has to change, but forcing a drastic change isn't going to work. A ban on foods isn't the answer until we can change the way we think about those foods. It really isn't as simple as eating less ice cream and chips. There are lots of mixed messages when it comes to what is considered healthy and many, many people are misinformed. A lot of that misinformation comes from advertising. Disney's choice to better regulate the kinds of advertising they allow during their children's programming is a step in the right direction.

If you somehow feel that the lack of junk food commercials is an infringement on your God given American right to raise your kids without interference then by all means sit your kid in front of any number of television networks that do allow junk food advertising and you can retain your freedoms.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all let me qualify the fact that I love Disney. That said, This is just another "Politically Correct" PR move done by a big company. If anyone thinks that there is not a way for Disney to make money from this, I have a few "DAMP" acres next to WDW for sale. Have the people of this country forgotten the phrase "Personal Responsibility"??? It should not be up to Disney or a Government entity (Do you understand Mikey Bloomberg) to determine what anyone eats or drinks. People need to control what their kids eat and also learn to push away from the table. Even if portion sizes have increased at fast food or any restaurant, no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to finish it. Before I get off my Soapbox let me say I am personally tired of Big Business and Big Brother sticking their noses where they don't belong. RANT ENDED.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Doll -America is in the midst of a health crisis because of the foods we eat.
    I'm not sure I would call this (fast food) a health crisis (seems to be a bit of hyperbole to me), but if it is a crisis it isn't an eating crisis its an exercise crisis...too many folks don't get up and move...when I am in exercise mode I can pretty much eat what I want when I want and my weight, blood sugar, cholesterol numbers, etc all stay in the "good ranges."

Something has to change, but forcing a drastic change isn't going to work. A ban on foods isn't the answer until we can change the way we think about those foods.
    Wow...a ban on food is NEVER the answer in the USA. No one has the right to tell anyone what they can or cannot eat, how much of it they can eat. The whole nanny state thing is just going to far.

It really isn't as simple as eating less ice cream and chips. There are lots of mixed messages when it comes to what is considered healthy and many, many people are misinformed. A lot of that misinformation comes from advertising
    No, a,lot of the time it is as simple as eating less sugary high carb foods....for most of the time weight reduction is simple math...don't consume more calories than you burn.

And contrary to what some may think, my anecdotal observation is that you cannot educate away bad food decisions. The vast majority of people I encounter know when they are overindulging or not eating a well balanced diet. They simply choose to do it anyway... either out of convenience, lack of self-discipline or because they simply like the taste of the other stuff better.

If you somehow feel that the lack of junk food commercials is an infringement on your God given American right to raise your kids without interference then by all means sit your kid in front of any number of television networks that do allow junk food advertising and you can retain your freedoms.
    I actually really do consider it my right as an American to raise my children (both of whom are physically active and in good shape) without interference.

And by the way I personally could care less how many Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, Count Chocula, Coca-Cola and McDonald's French Fries commercials are (or are not) on the air.
    I grew up watching a steady diet of these things during scooby do and bug bunny and didn't start putting on the weight until my metabolism slowed in my 40's. Then I had to cut back and start being conscious about exercise.

My (perhaps naive and to many I suppose antiquated) understanding of freedom of speech though is that one aspect of it is that the people who sell these products have the right to advertise them, whether the food nannies like it or not. If Disney chooses to advertise I'm fine with that, if they (and everyone esle) choose not to that is okay too.

My only beef with them is that if they are going to get on their soap-box and say "we won't advertise for these evil foods, " but actually sell them themselves, it smacks of corporate hypocrisy.
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I would call this (fast food) a health crisis (seems to be a bit of hyperbole to me), but if it is a crisis it isn't an eating crisis its an exercise crisis...too many folks don't get up and move...when I am in exercise mode I can pretty much eat what I want when I want and my weight, blood sugar, cholesterol numbers, etc all stay in the "good ranges."
    You might not call it a crisis, but there are a lot of experts out there who would disagree.

Wow...a ban on food is NEVER the answer in the USA. No one has the right to tell anyone what they can or cannot eat, how much of it they can eat. The whole nanny state thing is just going to far.
    Right, so since this isn't a actual ban on foods why the outrage over one company's advertising decision? Big brother isn't stopping you from doing anything. I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up about this. The passion seems somehow misplaced.

No, a,lot of the time it is as simple as eating less sugary high carb foods....for most of the time weight reduction is simple math...don't consume more calories than you burn.
    You are wrong there. In a vacuum a calorie is a calorie, but inside the human body calories are not created equal.

And contrary to what some may think, my anecdotal observation is that you cannot educate away bad food decisions. The vast majority of people I encounter know when they are overindulging or not eating a well balanced diet. They simply choose to do it anyway... either out of convenience, lack of self-discipline or because they simply like the taste of the other stuff better.
    Again, an anecdotal observation is not worth much to me. I'll still go with the expert research on this.

I actually really do consider it my right as an American to raise my children (both of whom are physically active and in good shape) without interference.
    Yeah, but my point was, how does Disney's lack of advertising take that away from you?

And by the way I personally could care less how many Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, Count Chocula, Coca-Cola and McDonald's French Fries commercials are (or are not) on the air.
    I grew up watching a steady diet of these things during scooby do and bug bunny and didn't start putting on the weight until my metabolism slowed in my 40's. Then I had to cut back and start being conscious about exercise.
    So since you don't care Disney's decision shouldn't really even matter.

My (perhaps naive and to many I suppose antiquated) understanding of freedom of speech though is that one aspect of it is that the people who sell these products have the right to advertise them, whether the food nannies like it or not. If Disney chooses to advertise I'm fine with that, if they (and everyone esle) choose not to that is okay too.
    Advertising to children has always been an ethical grey area. Children lack the cognitive development needed to recognize that ads are meant to make things sound better than they are. Commercial speech is not protected under the 1st amendment so regulation is not a violation of free speech.

My only beef with them is that if they are going to get on their soap-box and say "we won't advertise for these evil foods, " but actually sell them themselves, it smacks of corporate hypocrisy.
    I think you are reading way too far into this. When did Disney imply that these foods are evil? And don't forget that Disney has taken steps in recent years to provide more healthy options in the park which I really appreciate. You yourself say that banning foods is never the answer so what do you want Disney to do here?
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Doll... Thank you. Your logic and reasoning are in tune with how I feel as well.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Doll, While I probably should take the time to more fully respond to your queries, this particular issue actually doesn't quite reach the passion level for me that it does for others...so I think I will simply say I remain unmoved by your arguments and refrain from putting everyone through another point by point refutation, which would likely be followed by another from the opposing side.

However, i will point two things...number while there was a time that the courts ruled commercial speech as being largely unprotected, a series of decisions from the 1970's forward has deemed that commercial speech in many case is indeed protected speech under the first amendment... and that the government cannot arbirtrarily step in and say what can and can not be advertised. this was done largely in response to nanny-mindset municipalites that overreached their authority. (If anyone has interest in this regard you can google something like "Is commercial speech protected" or more directly "The Central Hudson Test.")

Other than that my biggest issue with the questioned post was the line--(the bold text was added by me to identify what was to me a key word)

A ban on foods isn't the answer until we can change the way we think about those foods.
    That statement strongly suggest you are in favor of banning certain foods in the future....of actually having a governmental agency telling the American citizenry that they are not smart enough, educated enough, nutritionally sophisticated enough to decide what they can or cannot eat.

I will close by saying that in the free market of ideas if you (and the many who share your viewpoint about nutrition) can actually convince people to change the way they think about food, then banning foods will not be necessary. They will simply stop purchasing them...which in a free economy is the way it should work. But remember if they can't be convinced, it might actually mean your arguments were not as compelling as you might have first believed.

By the way, I'm not opposed to any attempts to put good information into the hands of consumers (and when they are minors in the hands of their parents)...but words like "ban" do quickly garner my attention.

Finally, what do I suggest Disney do? Very simply, be consistent. If they really think a product is a key contributor to genuine health crisis, why on earth would they continue to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm going to step in it here, so get those flame throwers ready, folks!

Ok, when I get past all of the chatter one thing strikes me: this is a publicity stunt. Its a "First Lady Photo Op" that benefits both parties to a certain degree. Notice that the ban doesn't take effect until years down the road. My prediction is that when that deadline gets here, nothing will change. Everybody (or almost everybody) will have forgotten about it, and it will be business as usual. Cynical? Perhaps, but I have a lot of years under my belt that prove cynicism is often correct- especially if big business or the government are involved.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

However, i will point two things...number while there was a time that the courts ruled commercial speech as being largely unprotected, a series of decisions from the 1970's forward has deemed that commercial speech in many case is indeed protected speech under the first amendment... and that the government cannot arbirtrarily step in and say what can and can not be advertised....
    Red herring. No government involvement here at all.

This isn't nearly as big of an issue as we're making it out to be, however for some people the process will go like this
    -Complain that Disney is being hypocritical
    -However if Disney banned junk foods in the parks they would also complain
    -In addition if Disney allowed ANY advertising such as say, cigarettes during morning cartoons, the same people would complain that Disney is selling out to the highest bidder and how dare they show that to my children.
    -Rinse, repeat, complain some more.

In short, some people will complain about Disney no matter what they do.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what kind of reaction there was when advertising cigarettes during children's programming was eliminated. Far as I know, cigarettes can still be purchased just about anywhere.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Red herring. No government involvement here at all.

-Complain that Disney is being hypocritical
    It is hypocritical. If they are going to ban commercials for foods that have more than 2.5 grams of sugar in them (i.e., Fruit Loops), but then turn around and put Nemo or Mater on a Juicy Juice box with 20 plus grams of sugar...its hypocritical. And for me, comes across as shallow.

Is it a great PR move? Yes. Is it going to make a difference? Nope.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR