Quantcast Pregnant daughter fears the heat. Where to cool off?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Pregnant daughter fears the heat. Where to cool off?

My daughter will be 5 1/2 months prego when we go the second week of June. She lives in "Hot"lanta where the temps are soaring at the moment and she is already having problems. I could use a list of places in the MK, DS and AK she can cool down and hopefully still be enjoying the parks. We are going to try to get in early and out early to the pool but with 3 kids, they may not be willing to leave the fun. Fortunately we will be at the Poly so she won't be far from her room most of the time as we will likely spend the majority of our time at MK.

Thanks in advance,
    a concerned Papa!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be going a week earlier and will be about the same point in my pregnancy!
    This will be my first trip in this condition so I have been looking for ideas too.

I MK I plan on cooling off with a Dole Whip for a snack and and giving my feet a break while watching COP and Country Bears.

In EPCOT there is the station with free coke samples from around the world. I know in years past they had it set up to blow cool air and mist as you walk in, but not sure if it is still that way. Also the Ellen energy ride is a good place to get off your feet and rest in air conditioning for a while.

in AK I think the Nemo show is the best bet to sit down and cool off for a while. I'm still looking at that park and HS.
    I also plan on bringing a britta refillable water bottle with a filter to keep myself hydrated. You can also get free ice at counter service restaurants.
    I hope we both have great trips
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

Post Thanks / Like

Get her a refillable water bottle with filter. She'll need to sit and put her feet up periodically. For Cool - Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, in Epcot - many of the World Showcase countries have areas that you can sit in the cool. Also there is the Innovations pavilion, Land Pavilion, etc. Hollywood Studios - the Great Movie Ride is a good calm ride with AC. She can also spend time in the One Man's Dream area and the Art of Animation area.

Good luck to her.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I went to WDW pregnant several years ago at the end of September. It was SO hot and humid!

What I found useful was booking a sit down meal at LUNCH every day. Very nice to have a long a/c break where I could sit down.

I would honestly recommend avoiding Animal Kingdom. That park is just way too hot and large (lots of walking without A/C). She won't be able to ride anything, really, so she will only be able to watch the shows. The shows are in nice cool areas, but the seating is VERY uncomfortable for a pregnant woman. They are just hard bleachers. Places with Air Conditioning are few and far between at AK.

Epcot is the best park in terms of being able to find lots of good places to cool down. There are many indoor attractions and plenty of indoor seating (at places like Innoventions, Land Pavilion, Living Seas, etc.) and all along World Showcase, there are lots of A/C shops to duck into for a quick cool down.

MK is a difficult park, but the shows and 3D movie (Philharmagic) offer some extended A/C breaks.

Studios is also a park I'd probably just skip. Again, not many rides that can be done by a pregnant person, and lack of A/C (all the shows are outdoors) are a problem at this park.

Definitely work in some pool time. In the heat of June, I am willing to bet the kids will be more eager to swim than do anything else. And, it's great to get off your feet and float for awhile in a pool when you are pregnant!

Ditto on the water bottle with filter. My favorite ones are the Bobbles. They can be found at Target and a few other retailers. They are a great bottle! We used one at WDW last year and just filled it from the water fountains (there are plenty of refrigerated water fountains around). The bottle cost $10 (filter included) and we never spent a penny on water at WDW for the whole week for our family of 4.

Also, I recommend she eat plenty of frozen icy/slushie type treats. They cool you down very quickly and are healthier than eating ice cream every time you want something cold. Or, a Dole Whip float would be an excellent option for a nice cool treat, plus the juice is packed with vitamins.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I was pregnant at WDW and the only park I really struggled at was Animal Kingdom. We went to a few shows but that park is very outside oriented (not really surprising).
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I found June heat there to be unbearable. Try to schedule most of your park time in the afternoon or evenings when it is cooler and drink tons of water!
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

At MK, there are a number of air conditioned indoor attractions where you can cool off.

In Tomorrowland, there's Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear, Stitch's alien encounter, and Space Mountain (may not want to ride if pregnant, but could walk the queue without riding).

In Fantasyland, Mickey's Phiharmagic and It's a Small World.

In Frontiersland/Liberty Square there's Haunted Mansion, Hall of presidents and Country Bear Jamboree.

In Adventureland, Pirates of Caribbean is nice and cool,

I'm sure I'm missing a few favorites.

There's also numerous gift shops and indoor eateries that are nice and cool inside. Plenty of places to cool off, it's just getting from place to place when you get hot. That's true of all the parks (except maybe AK)

At Epcot there's almost too many indoor attractions and other places to mention, you can find lots of places to cool off there. Same at DHS.

AT AK, there's not as many indoor attractions, it's probably the least comfortable in the heat of summer.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

If she absolutely needs a complete break from the crowds and heat, she can also use the baby centers! Granted when I used them pregnant I also had another little one. But I met a few other pregnant first time mommies there.

Also, if she gets too uncomfortable get a wheelchair if possible. I felt silly using one at 5 months pregnant, but it saved my feet and legs. I used mine for the second half of the day. I just made sure to let other wheelchair users do things before me . I didn't want special privileges.

Buy a misting fan before you (or pay whatever the high price is at WDW). And push those fluids!!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to all of the above but also a wash cloth to get wet and place on her neck and back of her knees. Major arteries that when a wet, cool cloth is placed on them helps to cool you down very quickly. Lots of rest time and have tons of fun!!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

First !!! Second why not try the parks at night. Let her relax all day by the pool. Have a nice lunch and maybe even a quick nap (depending on the ages of the kids) and then hit the parks around sun down. This way it won’t be as crowded (yeah right) , but at least all the rushing morning guest will be gone when there little ones are tired.. Just a thought. I did the park at nine months one year and it was cool at night (as cool as Florida nights get) maybe a hot breeze, but I was more comfortable at night.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The kids are 7,5 and hers is 4. She lives to see his face when he meets the characters so it's not likely she will want to sit by the pool while we enjoy the parks. Although she did say she may head back a little earlier than the rest of us to rest. As for cooler in the evenings, I don't think that happens in June.

A lot of our time will be in the MK and they seem to have the least amount of indoor air conditioned lines of any of the parks. I guess Disney learned over the years to work on creature comforts as they grew.

Thanks for all the input. I will pass it on to my daughter as we prepare for our journey.

38 days!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: