Quantcast Toying with upgrading from PO-R to the Poly- should I?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toying with upgrading from PO-R to the Poly- should I?

We are going May 19-20 and staying overnight just the one night. We are spending both days in the MK- taking it slow since I have 3 kids, and the younger ones are 4 and 17 months. We are planning on driving over in the morning, requesting early check in, enjoy the pool for a few hours until our room is ready, then getting dressed and heading to the MK. We will stay at MK until about 8:30 pm, and head over to the Poly for our reservations at Ohana.

The problem with POR is, after Ohana, we will have to go back to MK and get a bus to POR if they are still running by the time our dinner is done, or take the bus to DTD and then go back to POR from there.

I heard the monorails will be down during that time. Since it is only one night and probably the only time I will ever be able to afford a stay at the Poly- should I go for it? I think it would be easier there than at POR.

Do all the room as the poly have the sofa? the reason we went with POR is because we requested a murphy bed room. My boys, 13 and 4 will not share a bed. One of them could sleep on the couch if they are truly in every standard room. We are bringing our on Pack N Play for the baby.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe all Poly rooms come standard with a daybed. Although, I have seen some pictures where there is a lounger chair instead of a daybed. However, the majority have the daybed.

I think for one night, if you plan to do MK for both days, the Poly is worth it over POR. If it's not a huge deal, financially, then go for it! It makes sense, especially since you plan to dine at 'Ohana.

Although the monorails won't be running during the day, there are still the boats, ferry, and buses.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

If you can swing the cost of the upgrade, I think you will get a lot of benefits for it, especially since you are only staying one night. The pool there is wonderful, and I do believe all the rooms have the daybed.

Are you sure the monorail will be down? My understanding is that they were down in March for a few hours during the day. There is also boat service to MK, which is very nice, and you will much closer to the park than of you stayed at POR.
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're there for a limited time, I would stay at the Polynesian.

I thought the monorails were suppose to be up and running (not closed for construction) in late March or early April??? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Belle of the Ball 051411; 03-26-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: grammar
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

The boat launch is still pretty great, even if the monorail is down- much faster and easier than busing from POR. If time is money, and you don't have a lot of time, I think the upgrade makes a lot of sense. The Poly is fantastic, and you will feel more like your whole trip is around the MK, where you want to be this time. Every Poly room I have been in has a day bed plus two queen beds. Also, feels like a lot more space to spread out in than the POR rooms.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. It's not hard to convince me, but I am just worried if the cost will be worth it. It sounds like it will be. For conveinence and time sakes.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot that we could walk to the TTC to get a bus back to POR. But the MK closes at 10:30. And the buses only run an hour after MK closing. It may be cutting it too close for our comfort.

The FL resident rate for the room that night, is not really all the cheap. So I just really need to think on the price. I have already paid a little less than half for my POR room. hmmmm
    șoș Lizzy șoș

Post Thanks / Like

The room will be plenty big enough for all of you. The sofa is more like a futon. Check out the rate using the 30% off code (non-Florida resident). I think the rate is cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

For the ages of your kids, the fact that you are doing only MK, and the fact that you are only staying one night, I would TOTALLY go with the Poly. It is a splurge that you won't regret, and not a huge budget breaker since it is only one night. Best part is being able to easily come back to the hotel anytime you want during the day...we've DONE that at POR, but with such a short trip and such little kids, it would take so much time out of your vacation just to travel!

Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely go with the Poly! You will thank yourself after. One night is not much time, and you don't want to waste a minute waiting for busses. Plus, since you are having dinner at the Poly that night, it makes sense. With children that young, the convenience of Poly is so worth it.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Add another to the list of staying at the Poly. I know it's expensive, but the amount of time you will save going to and from the MK, especially in the morning, as well as peace of mind so you can enjoy your dinner at Ohana's, is worth it. Otherwise you will be constantly watching the clock to make sure you won't miss that bus to back to POR.

Then the next morning, you can wake up and be right across the lagoon from the MK! And as others have said, it's just for one night.

You won't regret it. The worst that can happen is that you will want to stay there again.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't do it!

DON'T STAY @ the Polynesian!

You'll be spoiled forever and won't want to stay anywhere else.

Go for it anyway for all the reasons from previous replies.
    There are two rules to success in life:
    1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Post Thanks / Like

For one night and with three kids, I would absolutely stay at the Poly if I could swing it financially. Perhaps contact Magical Journeys to find out if there is a Florida Resident's rate?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Given your situtation on this particular trip I'd totally upgrade to the Poly. I think it would definitely be worth it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you need to make every moment count. You don't want to waste a lot of time on buses. Go with the Polynesian.

The boat launches don't take as long as you'd think. They go from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian to the Polynesian...and then back to the MK. So...getting to the MK from the Poly is very fast!

1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

I totally did it! I made the upgrade. The FL resident rate was a just a few dollars cheaper than the spring discount codes. I am just trying not to think about the amount of money overall I am spending. But I just said I am doing this for ME! My kids will enjoy any hotel. My Boyfriend is along for the ride on this one, as he took us on the last mini vacation. So I decided so that I can enjoy the trip more- for all the reasons you fabulous intercotees mentioned I did it. I knew you would talk me into it! Thanks everyone! Less than 2 months and counting!
    șoș Lizzy șoș

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I love both hotels!! If I were in your shoes I would book the Poly-- for ease and ambiance. I was surprised at how much easier life was in 2010 when I didn't have to worry about the buses to Epcot and MK. It would also be nice if one parent and the older kids would want to run over to MK while the baby naps. The buses are convenient, but not time efficient when compared to the boats. You will love it-- the only downside is that you won't want to go back to moderate after you experience the Poly. Yes, the couch is available and ample for your needs.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    Thanks guys. It's not hard to convince me, but I am just worried if the cost will be worth it. It sounds like it will be. For conveinence and time sakes.
    that's what i'm thinking, por and pofq have longer drive times than most of the other resorts. i'm sure you'd enjoy either one, but if i was only going for a couple days might as well go all out and make the most of it.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

You will not regret your choice to upgrade to the Poly. With the amount of time saved on transportation and the ease of transportation, that alone will offset the increase in cost. Less time traveling to the park means more time in the park, which means you'll get more value out of the ticket prices. The Poly is a great resort and I hope your group has a great trip!
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    I totally did it! I made the upgrade. The FL resident rate was a just a few dollars cheaper than the spring discount codes. I am just trying not to think about the amount of money overall I am spending. But I just said I am doing this for ME! My kids will enjoy any hotel. My Boyfriend is along for the ride on this one, as he took us on the last mini vacation. So I decided so that I can enjoy the trip more- for all the reasons you fabulous intercotees mentioned I did it. I knew you would talk me into it! Thanks everyone! Less than 2 months and counting!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P