Quantcast First time travelling with a kid!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time travelling with a kid!

Hi Everyone,

We have been to WDW numerous times as a couple as we have no kids but still love WDW. However, this time we are taking along our 11 year old Godson!! We don't know who is more excited- us or him!!

We are leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and are staying at the CBR in a Pirate Room. That is a surprise for him!

Anyway, we want to make sure that we give him the best experience possible and plan on spoiling him rotten. He is a great kid and has only ever been on one vacation (never to WDW) so he deserves it and having no kids ourselves, we want to take advantage of him!!

Our ADRs are:
    Chef Mickey's (his pick)
    50s Prime Time
    Whispering Canyon Cafe
    California Grill
    Coral Reef
    Mama Melrose (his favourite food is chicken parm)
    T-Rex Cafe
    Boma

Do you think that an 11 year old will like all of these restaurants?

Is there anything in particular that we should make sure that we do with him?

We have always slept in, eaten at the resort, gone swimming, then out to the parks for the evening. We realize that he will likely be up a lot earlier and we'll have to revise. Any suggestions from preteen parents? Our Godson's parents are just telling us to make him follow our schedule, but we don't want to do that. We want to maintain our "cool" Aunt and Uncle status!!

Oh, and one interesting tidbit... we are Canadian and you should see what has to done to bring a child who is not your own across the border now!!! So worth it though!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How exciting for you!! While I have only ever been to WDW with a child, seeing things through their eyes is one of the best feelings! I'm sure your God Son will be up and at 'em early! I suggest getting up early (at least most days) and getting to the parks early...he's going to want to do everything!! You may have to slow him down
    I recommend leaving the parks in the afternoon and returning to your resort for lunch, a nap, and/or swimming. Then return to the park (or another park if you prefer) for the evening..and maybe the fireworks!

Just enjoy your time together and make sure to hit the highlights and share with him what you think makes WDW so magical and fun. Take tons of pictures! Use photo pass so you are all in the pictures together and his parents can order reprints online!

You are going to have a blast! I am so excited for all of you! Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

Make sure to get a photo of him trying The Beverly at Club Station Cool in FW @ EPCOT. Classic for a child that age!! They have samples of beverages from around the world and the Beverly is awful and guaranteed to produce some interesting facial expression!! Getting spit on by the camel by Aladin's magic carpet ride in MK. I also think the water parks are always a hit with boys this age. He may be into the pressed pennies which are all over the place.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

only been to 50's from list, and I think he'll like it. It's light and fun, hope you have a great experience. Make sure he eats all of his vegetables!
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful...there is nothing better than seeing a child's excitement (or the adults) the first time at WDW. Personally, I would skip 50's Prime Time. My DD's were so excited to eat there because of the antics of the waitstaff only to be very disappointed. No skits were done at all in our vicintiy the entire time we were there and they and I didn't like the food. Instead of some of the others (California Grill, Boma, etc), I would definitely take him to Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Fare and O'hana's.

Have a wonderful time. It will be a magical time for all!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My 11 year old DS loves Sci-Fi.
    I also agree with the water parks, mine would be happy if we spent the whole trip there.
    Mini-Golf is fun for that age too.
    He also loves to do pin trading.
    Have fun!
    Sept 2003 All Star Movies
    Jan 2007 Pop Century
    Jan 2008 All Star Movies
    Jan 2009 All Star Music
    Aug 2012 Art of Amination/Carribean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning - and woo hoo!!! We will be there during some of the same time that you will be! How great that you have the experience and familiarity with WDW and can share it with your godson. My son is now 15 and has been to WDW many times since age 5. For an 11 year old, some definites that I would suggest from our experiences would be: Rides are a still a biggee at that age - Space Mountain, Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mtn RR; Epcot's Test Track (watch the closing dates, it's scheduled to close for rehab probably just a few days after your arrival and Soarin (try to get a fast pass - it fills up very quickly); at the Studio's, kids always love Tower of Terror and Rock'n Rollercoaster (and I have been on neither!) - and if you can get to Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom, you've definitely hit the main ones. For dinners - Chef Mick's is a must, and I would agree with earlier post to aim for Sci Fi - it is such a different atmosphere! Ask any Cast Member or check in at City Hall (MK) for the First Time big round pin he can wear. IF you can - ask a monorail driver for an opportunity to ride in the first car (I would mention this is your godson's first visit) - and if space permits, you get to ride in the front car; you might have to wait for a second monorail - but, definitely a special experience if it's available. If your energy permits, the parks will likely be open very late in the evening, and that is often a great time to head back and avoid long lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Legal documents.

You should have a notarized document from BOTH parents stating you have temporary Guardianship And medical power of attorney for your GodSon . You will need his passport and medical insurance card.

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas! Thanks to all of you!

We are thinking of popping into Sci-Fi one afternoon for an early lunch if they have availability.

Blizzard Beach and Winter-Summerland mini-golf is on the list too. And we added Yehaa Bob at POR- almost forgot about him but we love him!!

And don't worry, we do have notarized documents from both parents- all taken care of!!

Thanks again!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a fantastic trip!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: