Quantcast Magic Kingdom Resort & Express Monorail Lines Daily Closures Starting 3/2/12 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not usually one to throw a fit, but springing this on resort guests with no warning is just unacceptable especially when the monorail resorts are so much more expensive. It looks like they tried to avoid peak times, but these hours will surely impact those with young kids who might want a quick way to go back for an afternoon nap. I'd be furious if I were there now.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

And, I'm sure they knew in advance that they were going to be working on the DVC portions of the GF... I can see if, for the safety of their crew and what not, they would need to shut the monorails down for construction in case something bad happened, or they found something that needed repair that turned out to be a bigger problem than what they thought. But I can totally see them not giving out an advanced warning to people making deluxe resort reservations months in advance for fear of losing money. If we go in 2014 we would have saved up for almost 3 years, spent about $6000 if not more just to stay in one of those resorts, and did I mention that I would be very upset?? hah.

cranes in the park sometimes, that happens. it's unavoidable. but big construction vehicles around a wedding pavilion after someone has just spent their life's savings on the wedding of their dream? I would be so beside myself.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know how they handled the weddings? To me the issue with the monorail is not that it is down, but how they handled it. Construction is inevitable, but a flyer under your door midway through your vacation is about the worst way to do something like that. There should have been advanced warning and an effort to accommodate those who might have wanted to move elsewhere.

There are plenty of gorgeous spots to have a wedding at Disney. I'm sure the pavilion is the most popular, but I would hope that they offered those couple who would be impacted by construction an opportunity to move their ceremony elsewhere on property. I was in the world 11-11-11 and it seemed like there was a wedding taking place around every corner.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Does anyone know how they handled the weddings? To me the issue with the monorail is not that it is down, but how they handled it. Construction is inevitable, but a flyer under your door midway through your vacation is about the worst way to do something like that. There should have been advanced warning and an effort to accommodate those who might have wanted to move elsewhere.

There are plenty of gorgeous spots to have a wedding at Disney. I'm sure the pavilion is the most popular, but I would hope that they offered those couple who would be impacted by construction an opportunity to move their ceremony elsewhere on property. I was in the world 11-11-11 and it seemed like there was a wedding taking place around every corner.
    Yes I can tell you how they handled those weddings impacted by the construction. The word we are looking for here is "poorly."

Here's the problem. Say you book your wedding date a year out. Now you go take your trip to Disney for your planning session - and there's no question going in that you want the wedding pavilion. You get there, it looks amazing so you book it for what I assure you is not an insignificant amount of money. And now you start planning your event with all your focus on the wedding pavilion.

Then you get an email months later that says "lol construction lol at you" with no offer of compensation. What? What construction? What's going on? Why wasn't I told about this? This is not acceptable. No I don't know about choosing any other venue I DIDN'T LOOK AT ANY OTHERS WHEN I WAS DOWN THERE BECAUSE THE ONE YOU SOLD ME WHEN I WAS THERE WAS PERFECT. And the response you get "Huh? What? We'll get back to you." But they won't. They'll leave you sitting there twiddling your thumbs. Your phone calls will be directed to different people all trying to pass the buck. Your bride will be in tears. You will go 3 weeks after an agreement is made to offer a compensation with absolutely ZERO contact. After an extended period of time, you will receive a "compensation" offer which will be at least somewhat appropriate, but could never make up for the stress you had to deal with.

AND WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES. The construction was not in full swing during our wedding in October, there was just a blue wall up which I barely remember seeing that day. Still the looming thought of not knowing what in the world we were to encounter when we got there was a big issue.

And I'll be honest, we went on another trip last week, and the place looks like <snip> right now. Absolute <snip>.

DVC slapped the disney's wedding enterprise in the face with pretty much zero warning - customers be <snip>. The Wedding people were scrambling, had their hands tied, and were overwhelmed, frustrated, you name it. They were placed in an impossible situation. I don't blame them so much as whoever dropped this bombshell on them after they already were planning weddings.

DVC (or those responsible for the decision) needed to have a plan GOING IN as to what to do about the weddings, and they didn't. They needed to have established what they were going to do for their brides and grooms BEFORE planning the construction instead of making them fight to get what they were sold and paid for.

So yeah, they handled it... poorly.
    Last edited by Ian; 03-04-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: TOS
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they will get extra or larger boats for the deluxe resorts. That would help some.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Has anymore been said in reference to how long it will be? We will be there next month and I have always enjoyed the monorail.
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilHooligan74 View Post
    Has anymore been said in reference to how long it will be? We will be there next month and I have always enjoyed the monorail.
    I would assume a pretty long time. Most certainly will still be in effect next month. They are constructing the DVC structure AROUND the track partially, to add a station. So, my guess is for at least the rest of this year.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

1) We stayed GF-Main-Building this week.
    2) The monorail did, indeed, halt during the day.
    . . . it stopped at 11:30am each day
    . . . it started again at different times
    . . . it started anywhere between 4:30pm and 6:16pm
    3) It really was not such a big deal from GF.
    . . . there were plenty of buses
    . . . they brought over Friendships for boat transit
    4) Some folks around the pool complained.
    5) Most just took it in stride.
    6) Wife and I had no real issues with it.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

The official word on this from Disney is that "Weather permitting, we expect this work to be complete before the end of March.".

Obviously construction will continue, but the portion requiring the monorail to shut down should be over relatively quickly.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I would assume a pretty long time. Most certainly will still be in effect next month. They are constructing the DVC structure AROUND the track partially, to add a station. So, my guess is for at least the rest of this year.
    Where do you get your information from? At least for the rest of the year? The monorail is scheduled to resume regular service next month. That has been widely reported.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Can't walk to MK from the GrandFlo, at least that I know of. There's a canal between the MK Monorail station and GrandFlo that's used for the Electrical Water Pageant floats, and last I knew, there wasn't a bridge crossing that canal. The walkway from MK just leads to a dead-end at the canal past the Monorail station.
    I can't for life of me understand why a bridge was never built here, unless the answer is money. They should have at least put a temp up for this time. The Army Corps of Engineers could have had one up in 15 minutes.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I can't for life of me understand why a bridge was never built here, unless the answer is money. They should have at least put a temp up for this time. The Army Corps of Engineers could have had one up in 15 minutes.
    You have to realize how *tall* the EWP barges are, too (like about 25-30' at least). If they *had* built a bridge here, it would a) have to be tall enough to clear the EWP barges, and therefore very *steep* to walk over, or b) the ramp would have to be *very* long to get to the height needed to clear the barges. Either way, I think would be very unsightly in that location.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

... or, c) they could have built a drawbridge.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

... or, c) they could have built a drawbridge.
    You beat me to it.

They just don't want to spend the money. Plain and simple. It could be done quite easily. They could simply close off the walkway at night to allow for the EWP barges to get through.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

It could be done quite easily. They could simply close off the walkway at night to allow for the EWP barges to get through.
    Exactly. They have a drawbridges elsewhere on property. Why can't they put one across that canal? That would be just an awesome walk.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Are they utilizing this time the monorail is down to repair the track? Would be a wise idea to kill 2 birds with one stone.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Exactly. They have a drawbridges elsewhere on property. Why can't they put one across that canal? That would be just an awesome walk.

Steve
    If Disney thought they could create a revenue stream for the adventure of crossing the bridge, they would build it. Until that happens, don't expect a bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

so after the DVC is built i am anxiously anticipating the monorails being open until the last remaining park closes... and not shut down at dumb hours like it did recently.

afterall they now have 7 hours a day (7 days a week) to work on those track and safety renovations.

/sarcasm i know it will never go back to full working capacity... once they take something away you can rest assured they won't bring it back!

This does make my decison of staying offsite with a car SO MUCH EASIER...
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    If Disney thought they could create a revenue stream for the adventure of crossing the bridge, they would build it. Until that happens, don't expect a bridge.
    Hmmm... A toll bridge at Disney World... Interesting concept.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post

Steve
    Hmmm... A toll bridge at Disney World... Interesting concept.
    You just KNOW there is an imagineer reading this thread right now conking himself on the forehead saying, "why didn't I think of that?!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: