Quantcast The wild success of Toy Story Mania

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The wild success of Toy Story Mania

On our last trip in June, we took the conventional advice of how to do Toy Story Mania, and boy, were we glad. We got there before park opening, followed the throngs to the Fast Pass machines, and got our FPs for a return time of almost two hours later. When we returned at that time to ride, the FP machines were covered, having given out all the Fass Passes for the day.

I've thought about that experience a lot while reading these threads and wondered, how can a ride that's almost four years old still be not only one of the most popular rides on property, but arguably THE most popular?

It's certainly not a traditional thrill ride, which tends to draw big crowds, and it's extremely simple. When I first heard the concept, I thought it sounded -- well, to tell you the truth, stupid.

But riding it is really like being a kid again. So at the risk of sounding like a giant Disney cornball, I came to the conclusion that it was just what Walt was looking for: something that parents and children could have fun doing together. Its simplicity and fun is part of its popularity. It's bright, colorful, musical, and interactive, and it's a ride. Kids and adults are on the same level.

Why do you think it's such a great attraction, and why do you think it's still so popular even now?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is it still so popular?

1) Well as you mentioned, it's FUN. making you feel like a kid is the essence of what theme parks are all about. And if you're still a kid, well, then it's FUN! And it's fun for ALL AGES, more so that than the other all age rides like the older classic dark rides (Snow White, Pooh, Peter Pan, etc.) which appeal mostly just to families with younger kids.

2) Everyone can ride it. Even infants. Even people with bad backs or medical issues. And it's not scary or too thrilling (physically). All of the other WDW attractions with those limitations reduce the number of people that get in those lines. And many families or groups with one of those kinds of people may decide for their whole group skip an attraction if everyone in their group can't or may be afraid to ride.

3) it's relatively slow loading (riders per hour), slower than many of the popular WDW attractions. (About 850 people per hour I think).

Combine those three things = long lines all day, every day.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the given answers....I'll offer one more: There really aren't many rides available for toddlers and pre-schoolers at HS. Most of the available things for them to do are shows. When our son was younger, HS was pretty much a half day park for us.
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, unfortunately, I'm going to be a bit negative in terms of why I think the lines are still so crazy ... I think it's because there hasn't been anything else new and cool at DHS in over a decade. It's really the only thing that every guest in the park can enjoy together that's worth waiting in line for.

The other reason I would think draws people back is the competition aspect. I think there's a heavy dose of that, "Hey, I can do better! I want to beat my score! I want to beat that guy's score!" going on with TSM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, at the risk of making someone mad, here is my opinion.

I don't think its a "great" ride. I think its a very good ride, but I wouldn't put it in the E ticket "uber classic" catagory. The theming is ok, but it really doesn't knock your socks off. The ride itself is fairly simple, and there isn't much story to it. So why is it always packed?

I think it has to do with the top three rules of real estate "location, location, location." It is placed in a weak park for families (and a little light on attractions no matter how you slice it). People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS. You put a better variety of attractions in and teh lines will go down to Califonia Adventure TSM levels...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian. It's a really fun ride, but because there has been nothing new or exciting added in a long time at DHS, it feels even better to some.

I love the ride, but refuse to be herded like cattle back there in that narrow alley, so I don't get to ride much. If they ever add anything new to DHS (non thrill ride) that the younger visitors can take part in, it may eliminate some of the chaos back there, and I will venture back to see it again.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion because DHS has some of the least appealing attractions of any of the parks so we skip a lot of things here and like others said they haven't added anything new in a while.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

WDW is expensive and out of reach for many people. People come at dfferent intervals. Some several times per year all the way to once a decade. Some come for their first time. I met peole this weekend that weren't at WDW for their 1st time, yet Mission:Space was new to them. TSMM will be "New" and busy for a very long time. I also agree the TSMM is not an "E Ticket" attraction. There's just not much else to choose from at HS except for more intense attractions like RNR, ToT and ST
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

MO

I dont think it is the competition, And I dont think it is location! I agree it makes me feel like a kid again! It is just a fun ride and I think the simpleness just draws people in! Not over decorated! It is what it is. I thought Buzz Lightyear was great when I went through the first time. Never would imagine Toy Story would come along and make buzz lightyear at MK look like a dinosaur. Perfectly imagineered ride! Just what Walt was looking for!
    1982 Off Site 4 Days
    2006 All Star Music 10 Days
    2008 Pop Century 10 Days

2009 all star movies 10 days
    2010 all star Music 5 days
    2011 Port Orleans Riverside 10 days
    2013 Port Orleans Riverside 9 days
    2015 Caribbean Resort 10 Days

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I was just going to say that space ranger spin is just as good and usually way shorter lines. I do enjoy the 3d effects on mania though.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post

I think it has to do with the top three rules of real estate "location, location, location." It is placed in a weak park for families (and a little light on attractions no matter how you slice it). People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS. You put a better variety of attractions in and teh lines will go down to Califonia Adventure TSM levels...
    I rode TSM in California the first year it opened, on 4th July. I got in standby line at 2pm, and was out of ride by 3.30. I would agree with you entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

This ride is also very popular at Disney's California Adventure. However at that park there are a good variety of rides to experience. We waited in line for 40 minutes several times. We were there during a fairly peak time of year and most of the ride waits we about that long. There is no Fast Pass option for Toy Story at DLP. This really surprised me. I wonder what the lines would be like at WDW if there were not FP option? Would they still be 90 minutes long?

My DH loves TSM and I know it has to do with the gaming aspect. He is not a big Disney Fan but he wanted to keep riding to "beat his score". He was even willing to stand in the standby line for 90 minutes.

Like some other posters said ... there are not many rides for toddlers at HS. The Great Movie ride and Toy Story Mania are about all there is. IMHO this park is the one that needed a big revamp, not Magic Kingdom. It has some of my favorite rides but is not my favorite parks by any means.
    Last edited by disneynarula; 03-09-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: more info
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post
    This ride is also very popular at Disney's California adventure where there are a good variety of rides to experience. We waited in line

My DH loves TSM and I know it has to do with the gaming aspect. He is not a big Disney Fan but he wanted to keep riding to beat his score!

My boys loved it too!
    But its not nearly AS popular. You almost never hear of Fastpasses running out, for example.

I agree that its a very good ride. (not great, not classic, but very good) My point is that its location adds to its line woes more than anything.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

But its not nearly AS popular. You almost never hear of Fastpasses running out, for example.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no FASTPASS for TSMM at California Adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no FASTPASS for TSMM at California Adventure.
    Ok, that makes sense as to why they never run out (LOL). That also shows the differnt levels of popularity. They don't even think it needs Fastpass at CA.

I'm not bashing TSM. I've ridden it a couple of times and enjoyed it. I just think it doesn't stand up to true classics (read "Haunted Mansion" or "Pirates of the Carribean" or even "Tower of Terror") and I don't think it lives up to the hype.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, at the risk of making someone mad, here is my opinion.

I don't think its a "great" ride. I think its a very good ride, but I wouldn't put it in the E ticket "uber classic" catagory. The theming is ok, but it really doesn't knock your socks off. The ride itself is fairly simple, and there isn't much story to it. So why is it always packed?

People with families want to ride something together, and TSM is about it at DHS.
    I agree that TSM is not an E ticket or classic attraction. I once got flamed for saying this on another Disney fan site. The best i can say about this ride is that it is fun and cute. But for me, it is not worth standing in line for over an hour.
    I also agree that there are very few "rides" in DHS that everyone can enjoy. Add to this that TSM is a slow loading, low capacity attraction and you have a recipe for very long lines.

In defense of DHS, this park is highly geared towards live shows. Indy, LMA, American Idol, Little Mermaid, Beauty, and whatever is currently at the Playhouse are all good attractions. So to say that there is nothing to do in this park overlooks what DHS is really all about. There is nothing to do at Animal Kingdom either if you don't care for animals.

Post Thanks / Like

I just think its a ride that everyone in the family loves, regardless of age. Plus there's that competitive "I beat you" trash talking you get to do or hear at the end of the ride. Its mindless fun no matter how old you are.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    I agree that TSM is not an E ticket or classic attraction. I once got flamed for saying this on another Disney fan site. The best i can say about this ride is that it is fun and cute. But for me, it is not worth standing in line for over an hour.
    I also agree that there are very few "rides" in DHS that everyone can enjoy. Add to this that TSM is a slow loading, low capacity attraction and you have a recipe for very long lines.

In defense of DHS, this park is highly geared towards live shows. Indy, LMA, American Idol, Little Mermaid, Beauty, and whatever is currently at the Playhouse are all good attractions. So to say that there is nothing to do in this park overlooks what DHS is really all about. There is nothing to do at Animal Kingdom either if you don't care for animals.
    I agree that DHS is actually more about the shows. I can remember (fondly) when it was an actual working animation studio. Back then it didn't really seem to need as many rides, since it was clear that the rides weren't the main attraction. Now, the whole place just seems a little...well...."unfocused" to me. I say if you're going to lose the "real studio" aspect of the park, then at least put in lots of rides. Of course that's a rant for a different day. lol.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well, unfortunately, I'm going to be a bit negative in terms of why I think the lines are still so crazy ... I think it's because there hasn't been anything else new and cool at DHS in over a decade.
    I would argue that the updated Star Tours counts as "new and cool." It's long overdue, and we can quibble over whether it should actually count as a "new" attraction, but a vast, vast majority of Disney fans have nothing but praise for it. Just last week I rode with a huge Disney fan making his first flight on the new version, he came out saying it was a legitimate E-Ticket. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do think it's wonderful.

I think this is it. I don't look at Toy Story Mania as an E-Ticket, either, but it's definitely a solid "D." It's one of the most enjoyable attractions on Disney property in my mind, even if it isn't particularly ambitious.

Hollywood Studios is desperate for family rides as constituted. A larger Pixar Place expansion one day would hopefully address that problem. But for now, the lines at Toy Story Mania will stay long because groups with small children simply want something to do! And this, by far, is the best option. Kids adore Toy Story Mania.

Ok, that makes sense as to why they never run out (LOL). That also shows the differnt levels of popularity. They don't even think it needs Fastpass at CA.
    Just to clarify, Toy Story Mania is extremely popular at California Adventure. Let's not downplay that. It routinely has lines of close to an hour on busy days, which is perfectly reasonable considering what it is. California Adventure also has a larger and better attraction lineup these days, so there's more to disperse the crowds.

As for the Fastpass situation, that is less about the ride's popularity and more about the philosophical difference regarding Fastpass between Disneyland and World. The California management team has not relied on Fastpass nearly as much as its Florida cousin.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Just to clarify, Toy Story Mania is extremely popular at California Adventure. Let's not downplay that. It routinely has lines of close to an hour on busy days, which is perfectly reasonable considering what it is. California Adventure also has a larger and better attraction lineup these days, so there's more to disperse the crowds.

As for the Fastpass situation, that is less about the ride's popularity and more about the philosophical difference regarding Fastpass between Disneyland and World. The California management team has not relied on Fastpass nearly as much as its Florida cousin.
    I didn't mean to say that its not popular, I just meant that the wait times are more reasonable due to the bigger variety of attractions.

As far as the "not needing a Fastpass" quip goes, that was meant rather tongue in cheek.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: