Quantcast Am I just paranoid regarding appliances? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clothes Washer - all the time

Dryer - all the time, but when we had a traditional dryer, we cleaned the vent pipe once a month; I now have a condensing dryer and clean the condenser once a month, but the lint is never dry.

Dishwasher - all the time (because of the industry my husband works in, mine is never more than 4 yrs old)

I've even left my oven on and always leave the crock pot on - that's what it is for.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mel - you are not paranoid. Dryer fires are a big concern.

What I do is -
    Dryer - No
    Washer - Yes, but I often use the timer to start close to my return, like a pp. Thankfully, the previous owner installed a drain by the washer, so a washer malfunction flooding the house is less of a concern.
    Dishwasher - overnight only, never when no one is home.
    Crock pot - Yes, that's it's purpose, although like a pp, I prefer to have it cook overnight and reheat in the evening.
    Oven/stovetop - never. I worked with someone who cooked a turkey on Thanskgiving, left for 1/2 hour to get something from a nearby convenience store and returned to a home full of smoke and a charred turkey. The calibration was off and heated the oven at temperature much higher than the set temperature. Also, I'd never even consider leaving a gas stove on, what if the flame goes out, but the gas is still on, then it becomes potentially explosive.

I also recently installed an alarm system in my house, complete with fire alarm, which I never had where I used to live.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Not only do I not leave the washing machine on when I am not home, I shut the valve to the machine after every use. I have a friend who was on vacation and came home to find a hose busted on his washing maching which was on the second floor of his house. Water was pouring out for a week until he got home, his house suffered serious water damage. I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.

Also I was at home once with my dishwasher going and all of a sudden water started pouring out of the front below the door, a utensil had come loose and was jamming the water shutoff thingy, good thing I was there to stop it or it could have been bad.

My cousin also had a dryer fire that destroyed her business, she had a day spa and was drying towels and went for a quick ride to the store and came back and the whole building was on fire.

So yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid......
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, I wasn't paranoid before, but I am now!
    LOL!! I was thinking the same thing!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    . I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.
    We do this too now! The hot water line blew on our sink one night. In the five groggy minutes it took us to figure out to shut the valve the entire kitchen was flooded. I can't imagine the mess if we had been away for a weekend or something when it happened...
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't leave the house with any major appliances like the washer, dryer, dishwasher, oven, etc. on. I've had a washer flood on me and a washer motor burn up on me so I'm very careful with things like that. I will leave my crockpot on when I'm not at home but it's a new one and I put it on my stove so it won't get anything else hot. I also turn off all of our ceiling fans when we aren't home or even in the room with them.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done it in the past and do not ever plan to do so.

We had 2 very bad fires (days apart and houses apart) in our town recently and they were so horrible. Terrible for those families and I just get so nervous.

I so want to be able to set the crock pot and go...BUT...I would be worried all day long.

So, you are not alone....

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely have no problem leaving the crockpot on while I'm at work. The dryer though--no. And, I didn't use to run my clothes washer while out of the house, because my old washer occasionally over-flowed. But my new washer is no worry. For these that unplug appliances when he are not gone, fires can start in the walls of a house, whether something is plugged in or not.

Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box. There was a house fire a block from my house that week that started in the breaker box in the garage. A co-worker of my husband's had the same situation last year. I have made an appointment for someone to come and inspect our breaker box, but have felt very nervous going off to work the last couple of weeks.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Am I too paranoid?
    Yes. Yes, you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I guess we're all a little paranoid, eh?
    Speak for yourself, please.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.

So yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid......
    In that case, me too. We always shut off the main valve if we're going to be gone overnight or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box.
    Excellent point. Our former home was rewired in the early 70's with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) breaker box that almost burned down the house in the 90's. Fortunately we followed our noses to the source of the smell and shut if off in time. Most of the individual breakers in the box were melted. Seems these boxes were total junk and caused many, many fires. If that's what you've got, get it replaced YESTERDAY.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box. There was a house fire a block from my house that week that started in the breaker box in the garage. A co-worker of my husband's had the same situation last year. I have made an appointment for someone to come and inspect our breaker box, but have felt very nervous going off to work the last couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Excellent point. Our former home was rewired in the early 70's with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) breaker box that almost burned down the house in the 90's. Fortunately we followed our noses to the source of the smell and shut if off in time. Most of the individual breakers in the box were melted. Seems these boxes were total junk and caused many, many fires. If that's what you've got, get it replaced YESTERDAY.
    Great.
    Now I'm going to worry about this too!!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of interesting stories and perspectives here. I've read them all intently, and my initial "paranoia" hasn't changed. Thank goodness for insurance and the sort of peace of mind it brings!

Post Thanks / Like

The only "appliance" that I'll leave on when I leave the house is the crock pot and that strongly depends on where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, and what's in the crock pot.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Washer, dishwasher, anything that has a water pump that is operational in cycle MUST be turned off before leaving the house -- DO NOT need to come home to a flood!!

Dryer also a definite OFF before leaving. Clean lint trap/exhaust piping or not, all that needs happen is a spark or it not shutting off to burn down the house.

Crock pots are OK...They are 'supposedly' built with all kinds of safeguards...BUT that depends on the amount of time I will be away - not more than 3 - 5 hours.

Surprisingly, I don't think twice about all the 'normal' electronics - TV, Computer, Stereo Equipment, Coffee Maker, etc. - although these are probably the bigger culprits in home fires. Main reason for that is overloading circuits and power spikes.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

You're not paranoid, Mel! Or at least a lot of us are paranoid with you! I'm the same way, don't leave anything major running if I leave the house. Dryer, washer, dishwasher, space heater, crock pot...it all gets turned off if I leave or not turned on till I get back home. I was a reporter for my local newspaper for 5 years and I covered a LOT of house fires, many of them fatal. Almost all of them were caused from a dryer or a space heater. I'd rather have wet clothes than a burned down house!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yesterday or sooner. As a matter of fact, I'd rent a hotel room until it's replaced, they are that dangerous. I'm surprised you were able to turn them off...

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely have no problem leaving the crockpot on while I'm at work. The dryer though--no. And, I didn't use to run my clothes washer while out of the house, because my old washer occasionally over-flowed. But my new washer is no worry. For these that unplug appliances when he are not gone, fires can start in the walls of a house, whether something is plugged in or not.

Those are all excellent points. It's impossible to eliminate all risk factors that can cause a fire. Doing what a lot of posters here do is one way to at least decrease those risks. I for one, can't believe the number of people who leave their home with the dryer running. To me that's a huge risk!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Am I the only one who can't read the title of this thread without hearing, "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once" in his head?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Am I the only one who can't read the title of this thread without hearing, "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once" in his head?
    ??
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

??
    I had to look it up Beth. Apparently it's a Green Day song, so no surprise I had no idea what Ian was talking about. I'm definitely not hip. I thought he was saying I was whiny.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I am pretty sure Mel is JUST paranoid.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: