Quantcast Does the food have this effect on anyone else? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of this is due to simple viruses people pick up at the parks and resorts. Honestly, true food poisoning is VERY rare, and outbreaks affect a LOT of people.

My mom once had an episode of bloody dia, and she was CONVINCED she had food poisoning, she went to the hospital, they tested her stool and everything...it was a virus.

This is the time of year where stomach bugs run rampant. Currently, three out of four of our household members are down with a nasty stomach bug/upper respiratory illness (me being one of them). It was going around my kindergartner's class last week.

I do often have digestive issues at WDW, but also anytime I travel ANYWHERE. My body doesn't adjust well to change. The one time I got violently sick at WDW, I know that I caught it ahead of arriving, as I got sick the very first day of my seven day trip. I could have blamed it on the chicken ceasar salad I ate the night of arrival, but that was not what made me sick. I was sick for 3 days, and it was a virus.

DH has been sick to his stomach on our last two WDW trips. The first time was "classic stomach bug" which he passed on to the kids at the end of the week. This last trip, we figured out he was lactose intolerant and he got very sick after eating a LOT of pizza, with a LOT of cheese on it. We all ate the same exact pizza, and only DH got sick, so we know it was not food poisoning that time either.

My point is, there are SO many germs at WDW. I used to joke around about how Disneyland was a petri dish. We used to visit often when we lived over there, and almost EVERY time, within 3 days of going there, one of us was sick like clockwork.

It stinks to be sick on vacation, and it can really put a damper on your trip. However, you can't just automatically blame the food all the time. However, in cases where you think food got you ill, it's MORE likely an instance of someone in the food prep being sick and not adequately washing hands, than food poisoning due to a bacteria. It's just the chance you take eating out, as someone mentioned before.

I was just there in December, and all our food was VERY enjoyable, fresh, hot and I spent the whole week feeling GREAT. That is rare for me on vacation, and I was happy to not have any "issues" this time around.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have had tummy troubles after eating salad at Disney World and figured it to be what they washed the salad with. So I know not to eat salad anymore while there.
    LYNN

Post Thanks / Like

I am with BrerGnat. We only go to WDW every other year, but the standard travel tummies follow us every where else.

Different water and different food will do that.

On the other hand, extreme vomiting and diarrhea that lasts more than a day may be food poisoning, or require medical care for dehydration.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible they put something special in their food. An addicting additive because we keep going back!!!! And stuffing our faces!! And we love it!!
    Caribbean beach...were jammin'

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I thought I would only have a few responses. It sounds like it's a pretty common thing. I guess I will just make sure to take some meds with me next time. Thanks for all the helpful responses!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I went to Disney in Early January during Marathon weekend and had no problems with the food other than what was expected. I live on my own in an apartment, so I don't eat much rich food or greasy food as I usually cook at home to safe money and the rest of my family is the same way. The food is always EXCELLENT at Disney, however, I do have problems with the Eggs at the breakfast meals. I'm not a big Breakfast person and I generally don't eat much egg at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I think your diet being changed has something to do with it as I am back on my normal diet and experienced the same issues I had at Disney after being home for 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    My family and I went to Disney in Early January during Marathon weekend and had no problems with the food other than what was expected. I live on my own in an apartment, so I don't eat much rich food or greasy food as I usually cook at home to safe money and the rest of my family is the same way. The food is always EXCELLENT at Disney, however, I do have problems with the Eggs at the breakfast meals. I'm not a big Breakfast person and I generally don't eat much egg at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I think your diet being changed has something to do with it as I am back on my normal diet and experienced the same issues I had at Disney after being home for 2 weeks.
    The eggs at WDW, for the most part, are reconstituted powdered eggs. That might be why you had a weird reaction to them.

I don't eat eggs at WDW unless I can specify how I want them cooked and know that a cook is actually cracking shell to get them to me.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

It could just be too much darn food.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had these problems at WDW in the past as well, and haven't figured out exactly what it is, yet.

I have read eating too much sugar and caffeine can lead to diarrhea, so perhaps that is part of my problem (i.e. too many unlimited refills and large drinks).

It might also be the tap water (used in fountain drinks, ice, as well as being served strait up), but I am not sure.

Pepto seems to help more than Imodium. I have heard that Imodium treats the symptoms while Pepto treats the root cause. Also, you can safely take Pepto in advance to help prevent or reduce problems in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The eggs at WDW, for the most part, are reconstituted powdered eggs. That might be why you had a weird reaction to them.

I don't eat eggs at WDW unless I can specify how I want them cooked and know that a cook is actually cracking shell to get them to me.
    Agreed. I generally stay away from omelets and scrambled eggs at WDW and DCL. I agree with the comment about shelled eggs (fried and poached eggs are a good choice, I think).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    It could just be too much darn food.
    That's what I think. Even though I do my best to make healthy choices in WDW, like I do at home., it's not the same. The salt, fat, sugar, everything..it's just not "clean" food, it's mass produced and it doesn't feel as good in my system. This past trip, (2 wks ago), I made a point to eat less then I normally do on my trips, and made healthier choices. Even at Le Cellier, I chose the salmon. This is the first trip I came home with my stomach as flat as it usually is, no weight gain, and no stomach issues. I had to tell myself the whole trip that I didn't need that dessert, or that dole whip, or that whatever. And I didn't miss it, and I didn't feel awful.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

All this talk makes me wonder what actaully made me sick this past December. I had been at WDW for 9 days already when I got sick, I did change resorts after 7.
    I ate at RFC at AK and within an hour had to go to the restroom. Soon after my stomach started feeling queasy so I went behind the Tree of Life to sit for awhile. It didn't take long before I .
    It was almost 3 days before I could comfortably again. Good news is I lost 10lbs in 2 days, but I don't recommend doing it that way.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an intersting topic. It could be coincidence that the last three times down there different members of my family have had gastrointestinal issues. It just doesn't seem likely.
    Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez-moi pancakes!! Click click bloody click pancakes!!!

My signature is an honor roll student at Intercot Elementary School.

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting, but I'm sure it's a normal cause. Food at a large resort like that wouldn't have problems that the Food Safety Department in Florida would need to shut down like some people seem to be suggesting. The food is heavy, rich, fattening, and ultimately, is not meant to be eaten as much as the dining plans suggest we do. That food is supposed to be special occasion food that we tend to overeat when given the opportunity to do so. Good food is hard to turn down, so the first reaction is to blame the people cooking it when really the consumer is who's to blame. We feel sick from the food from over-consumption of food that NOBODY eats as part of their regular diet as frequent as you do when vacationing.
    First Disney Trip 1994
    Shades of Green 1999
    All Star Movies 2001
    Shades of Green 2009
    Pop Century 2011
    Bay Lake Tower 2012
    All Star Movies 2012 (Engagement Trip)
    All Star Music 2013
    Pop Century 2014 (Wedding Trip!)
    & Many More to Come!

Post Thanks / Like

I know for me, the water does me in. So now I bring in bottled water and bottles or cans of Pepsi and that seems to help a lot. I'm even willing to drink them warmish to help with the intestinal issues.
    And I think eating or over eating as the case may be, does have a lot to do with it. I certainly don't eat quite so much when I'm at home nor do I eat all the rich foods at home. So even being on the dining plan, I do not feel the need to eat everything on my place. I eat some of this and some of that and when I'm done, I'm done.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I definately think being on the dining plan had alot to do with it. Having a dessert with everymeal, and the types of food I ate, along with the heat. I will just try to make wiser decisions next time, even though I did try to eat more salads instead of heavy meals last time. And drink tons of water to flush it out!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I learned my lesson about ordering "whatever I want" just because I was on the dining plan. And, it was back when an app was included at table services. After the first day of eating rich meals and fried food, I was running to the bathroom every hour or so. Not only did my intestinal track hurt, it impacted my mood and the rest of my fellow travelers because I was grumpy. Not the most magical way to be!

After that trip I made sure to order dishes with vegetables or fruit on the side instead of fried things and drink a LOT of water. Disney water doesn't bother me so I fill up my reusable bottles at counter services or water fountains. Soda, coffee, tea and anything with caffeine dehydrates you, which can add to intestinal discomfort.

If you follow a healthy lifestyle at home, try your best to stick with it while on vacation anywhere and allow yourself one or two meals that are an indulgence. All things in moderation can apply on vacations too!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Never. Ever. And it actually makes me really mad when people want to imply there is something "wrong" with any restaurant when they have most likely done it to themselves with sudden changes in lifestyle (more food, richer food, or whatever). I hear that a lot at home as well - "I'm sick, I must have got food poisoning from (insert the last place they ate)" Maybe I'm sensitive to this because my family used to run a restaurant, and the idea that a false rumour of food poisoning could do real financial damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I have the opposite when I'm at WDW. You would think with all the food I eat, I would be going a lot. But with all the walking, I guess I burn off the calories quickly.

However, the sulfur in the water in Orlando tends to "lock me up". I tend to bring fiber bars just to offset the water.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

The water doesn't bother me, but I live an hour from WDW. Our water is probably the same. I definitely eat more at WDW than home, which can lead to problems. I spend every day leading up to our trips planning what I'm going to order & what snacks I want. That is my treat to myself for watching what I eat on a daily basis at home. It makes sense that my body may revolt at times.

An upset stomach & food poisoning are two very different things. I got food poisoning from a McRib once. Within a couple hours, my lips had turned inside out & I had ridges throughout my head. When I got to the ER, I was shaking so hard they had to use restraints to keep me in the bed. If you ever get food poisoning, you'll know it. It's not just a matter of an upset stomach. There's no mistaking the two illnesses, if you've experienced both.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: