Quantcast Which CM would you NOT want to be? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Honestly, I'd hate to be a CM at the turnstiles for the parks. How absolutely boring must that be?
    It can be as boring as you want it to be. Personally, I enjoy having fun with the guests as they come into the park, joking with the kids, older people and such, sometimes telling someone to "hold your finger flat until you feel the shock". You should see how fast they pull their finger off of the platen.

I just try to have fun although sometimes after some of the more trying times at turnstiles I have to question the future of humanity as we know it. Some guests loose all sense of intelligent being when they get to the turnstile.

Worst part for me, you have to also pull shifts on exits. I'd rather eat dirt than work the exits. LOL. On exits you get the "do I need a stamp to get back in? My comment (sometimes) "only if you want to be mailed back, otherwise use our park ticket". Some get it and some don't.

As I maintain, if you go into your shift thinking it will be boring, it probably will be.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

at 11290
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    It can be as boring as you want it to be. Personally, I enjoy having fun with the guests as they come into the park, joking with the kids, older people and such, sometimes telling someone to "hold your finger flat until you feel the shock". You should see how fast they pull their finger off of the platen.

I just try to have fun although sometimes after some of the more trying times at turnstiles I have to question the future of humanity as we know it. Some guests loose all sense of intelligent being when they get to the turnstile.

Worst part for me, you have to also pull shifts on exits. I'd rather eat dirt than work the exits. LOL. On exits you get the "do I need a stamp to get back in? My comment (sometimes) "only if you want to be mailed back, otherwise use our park ticket". Some get it and some don't.

As I maintain, if you go into your shift thinking it will be boring, it probably will be.
    Thanks for your perspective. I just can't imagine standing in such a small "personal space" for such a long time. I need to move around more. And, people don't seem to really want to chat it up...they just want to get into the park! I would want more time to interact with guests, I guess.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind working in the restrooms or IASW. I don't want to work in food service or cleaning outside in the heat.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Land

We rode Living With The Land the other day. While on the boat, just before you enter the greenhouse, there is a CM sitting at podium off to the right. That would have to be the worst job ever. Boooooring!
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Thanks for your perspective. I just can't imagine standing in such a small "personal space" for such a long time. I need to move around more. And, people don't seem to really want to chat it up...they just want to get into the park! I would want more time to interact with guests, I guess.
    Really we do find things to have little short "chats" with guests when they are coming in, such as, comments about T-shirts, where they're from, clowning with the kids, when their tickets don't work the first time telling them the bus to Universal is over by the Contemporary, things like that to try to lighten up the mood a bit. At least some of us do.

The only (well maybe one of the only) times I really have to button my lip is when I have to watch how some people treat their small children, the pushing, pulling and shoving of their small kids really bothers me. Kids are kids and when they are only 3, 4 or 5 they don't really understand all the "ways of the world" like an adult is supposed to so they should be treated better. Just a small percentage but a percentage just the same that needs to chill out a bit.

Now I can get down off my soapbox. Sorry. Longest normally on a turnstile is about an hour and a half so not really too bad. Water breaks in hot weather sometimes cold when the wind blows off the lake and the morning (if you are on openings) and the temp is in the 40's.

Post Thanks / Like

*YOU* are the CM I love to encounter, whether it's a the turnstiles, ride entrances, buses or gift shops. I love CMs that try to interact with the guests and joke around with them! I wish more CMs were like you, because when I'm at Disney, the kid in me comes out and I just want to laugh and joke with everyone around me.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be in custodial. It really wasn't that bad (plus the freedom and interaction is awesome).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the laughs, 11290. Good stuff.

Wouldn't want to be Tinkerbell at Wishes. That's just a bit much of a zip line experience for me.

I've heard complaints over the years that Disney management is too harsh on training and managing CMs. I hope this isn't true. But whatever it is that management is doing, it sure is working. I haven't been back to Universal in years. The difference in service is like night and day imo.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

there is a CM stationed at blizzard beach in the kids are by some little ice bergs with a rope above it that you are supposed to cross. i guess when you fall off the iceberg you are supposed to then walk across the rest of the way not try to climb back on the little ice bergs. anyway she had to tell every single kid i saw to not climb back on the iceberg and walk and not a single kid listened the whole time i was watching. that would be maddening.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto !!!
    Wouldn't be caught in one of those full body character costumes...way too hot in Florida for that

Post Thanks / Like

Another here. That's the way it is. Your shift will be all what you make it. When I was lifeguarding, I had a few of those questioning moments, but I loved the interaction and kids activities! I personally wouldn't be too fond of doing custodial, not my cup of tea personally, but I do always adapt to Walt Disneys POV on it....It's above noone to pickup trash! I used to have towel cleanups around the pools....and doing trash, wasn't the greatest job in the world, but it's gotta be done.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

You are ABSOLUTELY the kind of CM I love to meet!! DH and I have had sooo many quirky and hilarious moments with fun lovin CMs ~ they make our trip all that much better!

Thanks to all of you!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I would say any job that you aren't collecting the big money at wdw, wouldn't be fun. Hot uncomfortable attire, dealing w/ small children, and small parents, huge mess, and the public in general. Whew, no thank you. I'd rather be the ride mechanic. Half the rides only half to work some of the time. Plus, they don't talk back.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard good things about custodial, but I just can't bring myself to want to do that. Mousekeeping either.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

When I retire my plan is to go to Disney, walk in the front door of Casting, and tell them I'll work wherever they need me! Yes, that includes bathroom cleaning. I've always been impressed with how clean the bathrooms are considering the HUGE volume of traffic they handle. Somebody has to make that happen.
    WDW*Dreamer
    DVC/AP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDW*Dreamer View Post
    When I retire my plan is to go to Disney, walk in the front door of Casting, and tell them I'll work wherever they need me! Yes, that includes bathroom cleaning. I've always been impressed with how clean the bathrooms are considering the HUGE volume of traffic they handle. Somebody has to make that happen.
    Walk in the front door, go up the ramp and the girls there at the top of the ramp will hand you a sheet of paper that gives the web address to apply.

Save the steps, although it is an interesting building to see, and do it online at the website.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread made me laugh out loud! we were at the MVMCP parade this past Christmas and I finally found the ONLY job at WDW that I wouldn't do! It would definitely be the guys walking behind the horses in the parade. The horse stopped right in front of us and "relieved" himself. The 2 guys with the "waste" bin got it right up, but everyone around me (especially me) was gagging for about the next 10 minutes. There's no way on Earth I could do that job.
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Tinkerbelle75!!! I wouldn't want to be the poor person who cleans up after the horses in the parades!!!

I would also not want to be a character!! Those costumes have to be killer in the FL heat!! Not sure I'd want to be in food and beverage to custodial either!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to work in the little first aid tents, I've had to go in there a time or two to get bandaids with Mom for blisters and I'm such a germophobe I freak out every time...
    You can't take the sky from me

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: