Quantcast Going Home for the Holidays Day 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going Home for the Holidays Day 3

Day 3

Wednesday, December 22

Today was a day off from the parks. The boys and I slept in a bit while DH had a massage. He said this one was just OK, but still enjoyable. The boys and I actually took our time getting up and dressed. We decided to throw some laundry in the wash and spend the day at the pool. We had plans to take a boat out, or play mini golf, or go to the fork and screen theater today, but hanging by the pool won out hands down.

DH made it back to the room just as we were getting ready to head out. The boys and I hung out in “our living room”, doing postcards while DH showered. We all headed to the laundry room, threw some clothes in, and then made our way to Roaring Forks. We took lunch to the pool, and spent the rest of the day there. The boys played some of the games going on at the pool party, they played football in the sand, swam, and just enjoying the free day.

When we went up to the room to get dressed for dinner the boys were begging for an “early Christmas gift”. So we allowed them to each pick a gift under the tree and allowed them to open it. We got ready for dinner and were headed out way ahead of time. We took the boat over to the Contemporary, and then hopped the monorail. We spent time at each of the monorail resorts shopping and taking in the decorations. We spent tons of time at the GF. Everyone says this resort seems stuffy, but we actually love it there. It’s so quiet and calm when compared to the other monorail resorts. Mickey and Minnie were in the lobby in their Victorian Christmas clothes taking pictures with guests. I racked up on bath bombs at the Basin store, and then we made our way back to the Contemporary for our dinner at Cali Grill.

I wanted to note that WL had characters in the lobby almost every night. It may have been every night; we just weren’t in the lobby at that time every night. I don’t remember all who we saw, but I do remember seeing Pluto and Goofy for sure.

We checked in at the Contemporary and were taken up in the elevator. The boys weren’t with us the first time we dined here, but they thought it was way cool to take a “special” elevator up. They thought they were special or something. LOL. We ordered adult beverages, and some kiddie drinks, from the bar and our buzzer was going off before we could even get our drinks. The boys and I were seated while DH settled our bill at the bar. We had a great table with a clear view of the castle. We ordered the Dragon roll sushi platter, which turned out to be the best sushi ever. We also ordered the goat cheese ravioli appetizer. I got the oak fired fillet, DH had the bison, and both boys had the kid’s steak. Everything was amazing. We ordered a chocolate cake dessert. I don’t remember the name of it, but it came with the cake, a wonderful ice cream, and something else, but I don’t remember what it was. The boys ordered the sushi dessert. We settled the bill and were out on the balcony just in time for the castle show. We could actually see most of it from the Contemporary. We couldn’t see the pictures, but we could see the rocket launch, and many of the other cool effects. We stayed through Wishes then took the boat back to WL. The boys ran up to the room for swim suites and took a late night dip in the pool and hot tub before we called it a night.

All in all a very relaxing day off from the parks. Like I said in my report from yesterday, my family seems to enjoy these days more than park days!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We love California Grill. I agree, their sushi is outstanding.
    And, I love swimming in December! That's great that you had pool weather on your Christmas vacation.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a very yummy dinner at California Grill! What a lovely, relaxed day you had!

By the way, I really like that spot you call your "living room" as well! Have found it quite a relaxed place to hang out!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You had the perfect Disney day. Waking up at the WL and dinner at the Cali Grill.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great day!!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report sounds great

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer we did four nights at the Boarwalk and never did a park. We did Deluxe dining and just took advantage of all of the resort and out of park activities. My daughter said it was one of her favorite trips. As much as I could do the parks every day....I think sometimes she gets bored with them. A little too young to appreciate all of the little things
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip was the first time we did a relaxing day and we all enjoyed it very much. That had been our 4th trip to Disney and we went at a much more relaxing pace. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I will echo everyone else saying what a relaxing day!

We also loved the CG!! perfect sights and food!

Now i have a question, i am assuming you have a studio room right as you said you had to go to the laundry rooms.

How does that work if they aren't in your room. Like you can put a load in an walk away from it while its "doing its thing" and come back and they will still be there? if so that is awesome disney magic. I wouldn't leave my laundry out of sight for any length of time. Which is why i have shy'd away from studios
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    Now i have a question, i am assuming you have a studio room right as you said you had to go to the laundry rooms.

How does that work if they aren't in your room. Like you can put a load in an walk away from it while its "doing its thing" and come back and they will still be there? if so that is awesome disney magic. I wouldn't leave my laundry out of sight for any length of time. Which is why i have shy'd away from studios
    No we were actually in a regular room in the lodge, not DVC. There is a nice little laundry room not far from Roaring Forks.

We put the laundry going, hung out at the pool. I went switch the laundry to the dryer, back to the pool. Then when it was done DH and I gathered our stuff, folded everything and I brought it all back up to the room. We definitely did not sit in the laundry room watching our things.

I try not to have to do laundry on vacation, just because I'M ON VACATION! LOL. However, sometimes we run out of what we need and I have to. On this trip it was way warmer than I was thinking it would be. I had packed a little bit of everything just incase it was warmer, or colder, than we were anticipating. Well..we ran out of warm weather clothes, so I had to do laundry.

Anyway, I have done laundry at WL, CBR, CSR, BC and Vero Beach on past trips. I've left the laundry each time and I've never had anything go missing. My thought is that if someone feels the need to go through, and take any of our clothes then they must need it more than we do. There are usually several machines going, or full of clothes and no one in the laundry room so it appears that most people just put it in and go. I don't really worry about our clothes being stolen out of the laundry room in WDW, and there is nothing I am washing that I absolutely can't live without.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

that is good to know!!!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

We say we are going to have a down day but never do. One day we will.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Cali Grill sounds wonderful - I've added it to my to-do list! And what a long list it's becoming!!!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports