Quantcast Passing thru Orlando soon. Can you just ride the monorail?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Passing thru Orlando soon. Can you just ride the monorail?

I havent been here in a long time as I dont like to read the posts here when I know I wont be going to WDW any time soon. I think I asked this question last time I knew I would be on I-4 but I cannot remember the answer.

So, I will probably be driving right past WDW on my way to the Gulf Coast (Wesley Chapel) next month. I will not be in any hurry to get to my friends house as he has a work commitment that he cannot get out of until 2pm. I was thinking how cool would it be if I could park somewhere and get on a bus or boat to the monorail and do a lap?

Is this possible?

I dont want to do it if I have to pay to park in the main lots. What an added bonus it would on my vacation to be able to ride thru the Contemporary, the GF and Polynesian! Obviously I coulnt really do much else there but just doing a monrail lap would be a very nice thrill.

If this isnt possible (it probably isnt Im sure) what can be done on WDW property by someone who is literally just stopping by for 30-45 minutes on their way to another destination?
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's think about it: the only places to get on/off the monorail are:
    -Transportation & Ticket Centre
    - Epcot
    - Polynesian
    - Grand Floridian
    - Contemporary

You would have to pay for parking at the TTC or Epcot...
    But, if you went to one of the 3 monorail resorts, you would be allowed to park for free. If you just tell the gate security guard that you're just coming to check out the resort, they'll give you a temporary parking pass -- I believe it's good for 3 hours. Then you could hop aboard the monorails all you like from there. People get the temporary resort parking pass all the time if they're going for dinner there, shopping, or just exploring the resort itself.

Otherwise, if you decide not to do the monorail thing, you can always park (for free) at Downtown Disney and explore the shops there. You could park for free at the Boardwalk Inn and take a stroll on the boardwalk. You could go play minigolf at either minigolf place (parking's free, but you'd have to pay for your game of course!). Any of those things would take up some time on your way to your friend's house.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown Disney would be another good option for something free and entertaining.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '04 Dolphin / Grand Floridan
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '12 Wilderness Lodge (January/February)
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can ride the monorail. Just park at one of the three monorail resorts and take a lap or two. I would try to have a quick lunch at one of the resorts, browse the shops, maybe grab a drink and enjoy being in WDW, no matter how short the time! Have fun.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Park at Downtown Disney for free, take a bus for free to one of the monorail resorts. Take a lap on the monorail, again for free.
    You will just need longer than 30-45 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Park at Downtown Disney for free, take a bus for free to one of the monorail resorts. Take a lap on the monorail, again for free.
    That would just be the day they decide to check passenger resort ID's before getting on the bus, if it was me.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    That would just be the day they decide to check passenger resort ID's before getting on the bus, if it was me.
    Are you not allowed to use the transportation if you aren't staying at a Disney Resort? I wasn't aware of that - not that it would matter, since I always stay on site.

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the understanding that all Disney transportation was available to all guests, not just resort guests.
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

It's NOT just for resort guests. People staying off-site are welcome to use the buses, monorail, etc to go anywhere on Disney property. You never have to show any resort ID to use any of the transportation.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Its been 3 years since we went but I was pretty sure DD would fit somewhere in my plan

This could work!!

Made even better by the fact that I could send pics to my sister in NJ from the GF

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

I think stopping for a while at a resort in a case like yours is fine, but what happens to people who just leave cars in resort parking lots, saying they are visiting the resort, and then take themselves off to the parks for the day? Do they get a parking ticket, a fine, their vehicles clamped, or what? I hope something happens to them, particularly now the rest of us off site visitors are paying so much to park at parks!
    Last edited by K8screen; 01-17-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: gave wrong impression

Post Thanks / Like

Smile All the time!

We used to do this all the time. Wewould go to DTD and take the boat to Riverside. From there we would take the bus to Epcot. Monorial all the way to TTC then to The Contemporary. Then we would take the bus back to DTD. It's fun. Sometimes we would get off at The Poly and get a Dole Whip and take the boat to The
    MK then monorial to The Contemporary. We have annual passes and somethimes it's really fun to things outside the parks.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarification, WDW transportation is technically available to all "theme park ticket holders."

In ALL the years I've been visiting the resort, I've never once had anyone ask me to show proof that I can use the transportation. Don't worry about that.

What I would do, if you want to get a "fix" for Disney, is I would park at the Contemporary, have lunch at the Contempo Cafe (so you can watch the monorail come through and visit the gift shops there, which are awesome) and then ride the monorail around. If I had more time, I'd park at the Wilderness Lodge, eat there, take the boat to MK, ride the monorail around, and take the boat back to WL.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, while DS#2 was still at U of Richmond, he went with friends to WDW for spring break. I was in Tampa on business, and was traveling to Orlando Apt for a meeting...we scheduled lunch at Kona Cafe. After lunch, we did a spin on the monorail...just because.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Just for clarification, WDW transportation is technically available to all "theme park ticket holders."
    There is nothing anywhere that specifies that in an exclusionary way.

Transportation is for all WDW "guests."

"Guests" is the term used by Disney to designate all visitors to Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    There is nothing anywhere that specifies that in an exclusionary way.

Transportation is for all WDW "guests."

"Guests" is the term used by Disney to designate all visitors to Disney.
    Nope, technically: (this is straight off Disney World's website)

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort—including transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parks—is available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

In addition to this, though, if you hold a Park Hopper Pass (including Annual Pass), you are ALSO entitled to "complimentary transportation."

However, as I stated before, this is NEVER enforced. But, in the future, Disney can choose to enforce it if they want, since that is the actual guideline.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Nope, technically: (this is straight off Disney World's website)

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort—including transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parks—is available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.
    Many take that to mean "ONLY and SPECIFICALLY for WDW Resort Guests."

But, in fact, is only stated there as being one of the features available when staying at a WDW Resort.

It does not mean the transportation is "exclusive to" or "designed for" Resort guests...
    It's just a statement to indicate that the transportation is available.

This subject gets kicked around the various boards several times a year.

It's a moot point as to if anyone is excluded from riding the various modes of Disney transportation, as everyone CAN.

Post Thanks / Like

Amusing Bump...
    So I called an old high shcool buddy who lives on the Gulf Coast to see if maybe we could meet for lunch when Im near Tampa. He asked when I was heading to Fla and I told him and he says to me "thats perfect we are taking the kids to WDW that week"

So Im meeting an old friend for lunch at Poly or Contemporary now

Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Oh great! Have an amazing time! Take the monorail to Epcot just so you can get that up close view...it will feel like you are really there in the park!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with KatrinaJ91! If I had the time, I would need to ride both the resort Monorail and take a tour on the Epcot line.
    It would probably kill me though, being so close and not being able to enjoy some time in Epcot.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: