Quantcast Inviting son's friend????? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My kids are only 1 and 3 so I have some time before I have to deal with this, but as a parent, I would not be thrilled about my child being invited to go to disney without me and me still having to pay for it. So, I agree with the other posters that if you are inviting, then you offer to pay for everything except spending money. If the other parents offer to pay for tickets or airfare, I think it is ok to accept, but seems odd to invite a child and then expect the parents to pay.
    "Don't bustle me. Don't now-then me."
    --Eeyore

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If we invite a friend we cover all expenses, only ask the child to bring spending money for any thing they might like to purchase. If we can't afford the extra child then we do not invite. We drive everywhere so I don't have to worry about the cost of airfare, which seems to be the thing most people ask the invited guest to pay for. Maybe if we flew I'd feel differently, but still...if we couldn't afford the flight then I'd probably just not invite an extra guest.

It seems we always have a vacation or two (or more ), in the works. So if I was approached about one of my kids going on vacation with a family, but I had to provide the funds for flight, tickets, spending I'd probably decline. Mainly because I'd look at that money as money that could go toward our own family vacation plans.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if everyone on here is very well off but in my opinion, you should absolutely not have to pay for the whole thing. You could say to the parents -- if you can afford it, we'd love to have Johnny join us on our trip to Disney. See what the response is and then if positive, you can offer to pay for room and meals if that's what you can afford.

Also, on another note, I would never let my child go with someone that would let 12 year olds stroll around the park alone. You just never know.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in 8th grade, my friend's parents invited me to go to WDW with them. They had a big RV so we drove down and camped at Ft Wilderness. I seem to remember that they paid for everything.

Personally, if I were going to ask one of my son's friends to go, I would pay for it.

As far as walking around the parks on their own, it's kind of a judgement call at 12. I would certainly discuss with their parents.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

In our experience, it's best to approach the parents first to let them know that your child has asked if their child can go. That way, they're not put in a position to thell their child no if they can't afford it. Tell them you would be willing to pay for resort and meals and they would be asked to pay for air fare (if applicable), park tickets, and spending money.
    Be very clear as to how much all this would cost and when you would need their money so there is no confusion to prevent embarrasment to parents or child. If they say no...case closed and no complaining children! if they're on board, then...start planning and get ALL the kids in on it!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, proper etiquette would be that if you are asking them to come with you, you should pay for all major expenses (airfare, hotel, park tickets and food), and NOT ask the child's family to pay for any of it, it would be rude. I would ask them to give him spending $ for souveniors, arcades, etc. Perhaps when you ask them about that they may offer to pay for the child's airfare or something, but you should not expect them to.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

It may be proper etiquette but it may not be reality. Your son wants to take a freind. You want him to have a good time. But if you can't affore to pay the entire cost, why ruin your sons trip by saying no for the sake of ettiquette. As mentioned, I would talk to the parents of the freind in mind and see if, first they would allow their child to go, second what , if any, would they be willing to pay, and third would they be okay with letting two 12 year olds wander the parks alone.
    Since you are post ing this question, I am assuming you are a bit pressed to cover the entire cost of an extra visitor. Heck I've taken my married children and I expect them to pay for their own airfare. It's still a heck of a deal on a great vacation. We took a daughters freind years ago and she paid her own airfare. (not her parents!)

And if you know upfront neither you or your sons parents can't afford it, then I don't hink I would invite anyone.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are toddlers so I don't have to worry for a while, but if my child were to be invited to vacation with a friend's family I would absolutely insist on paying his expenses. That's too much money to expect the friend's family to completely cover everything. I would think most people would be of that mindset. I don't think it's rude to extend an invitation without offering to foot the entire bill. Just talk to the parents first and be clear about what you can cover and what their cost would be.

One more thing, you better make sure the friend's parents are okay with their 12 year old being unaccompanied in the parks. I wouldn't be comfortable with that and I'd be furious to find out that something like that happened without my knowledge.
    Last edited by Disney Doll; 01-05-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Each of my girls has invited a friend along on a trip to WDW. I called the parents before asking the child and told them we were going on a family vacation and if they could afford airfare, park admission and spending money, their daughter would be welcomed to come with us.

We paid for the room, any meals that we sat down to together and the guests paid for snacks, counter service and any snacks and souvenirs.

When my youngest went to Universal and WDW with a friend, we paid for all admission tickets and sent along money for meals the girls didn't eat together and snacks. Her family drove from Ohio so we flew our daughter to Florida to meet them and they rented a condo. they cooked a lot of meals in.

Just be sure all the adults know what is expected financially before getting the child involved so no one gets upset with the plans.

I see no problem with the guest paying for part of the trip if it is all decided at the beginning.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

And be sure if you take someone's child on a trip you bring a copy of their insurance card and a note from both parents that is signed that says you can make medical decisions. From experience being a Girl Scout leader, I wouldn 't take a child on a trip without the note or insurance information.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I would speak to the parents first about the trip stating that your child would like his friend to go along and you have the room and food if they would be willing to cover the airfare and passes. I don't see a problem with that. If someone stated that to me, I would feel OK saying yes or no depending on my finances. It would be nice to be able to foot the bill for everyone but not everyone can afford it. As for 12 year olds roaming the parks, it would depend on the children. I do allow my 12 year old child to wander alone with the stipulation that he is in the same area as we are, ie Magic Kingdom in Tomorrow land.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    And be sure if you take someone's child on a trip you bring a copy of their insurance card and a note from both parents that is signed that says you can make medical decisions. From experience being a Girl Scout leader, I wouldn 't take a child on a trip without the note or insurance information.
    It should not just be a note, it should be a NOTARIZED note. In most states, for someone other than a parent or guardian, the note for medical release must be notarized.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like if you invite some one to come with you, you should cover the expenses. It's different if you are single and inviting another adult to join you. That's being a traveling companion. If you are inviting someone else's child as a guest you need to foot the bill and treat them as if they were your own child.

I might be a little selfish but I would hesitate to pay for my child to do to WDW without me.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We took wanted our friends to go with us this past year. They are a family of four and we knew they couldn't afford to pay for the trip. So we paid for tickets, room and dining. We offered to let them drive with us, but they wanted to fly and they had frequent flier points so they covered that and their spending money.

We have two more trips I am going on with families and friends in the next year. I invited them, so I am covering park, food and hotel. My mom insisted that she pays for flights. And our other friends that are going with us (a family of six with our family of six) are missionaries/ our best friends that are missionaries in Honduras. We wanted to give them a vacation, so we are covering everything. But they insisted on renting a 15 passenger van.

I think if you offer - be willing to pay for the guest. But the parent might insist to help pay for some things. As for my sister, my DBIL was happy he didn't have to go, so he's happy to pay for their flight. So the parent might be happy, you're doing them a favor of taking their child and they don't have to pay the whole cost of a family going.

But I think if you are offering, be prepared to pay.
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to get too off topic but some others mentioned it and I was curious..

I wonder what is the cut off age that kids have to be accompanied by an adult officially anyways? I used to walk around our big theme park here in Cincinnati a lot when I was about 12 years old with my cousins but I know it's a different world these days.... but even at the mall here you can't walk around by yourself if you're under 17 or something like that. I was a very responsible 12 year old I think. Dono how I would feel about it now as a parent.

As far as the etiquette goes... it just depends on the situation. My SIL and BIL invited my niece's cousin to go with them the next time they go. But they don't know when... but their mother, from what I understand is struggling right now. I don't know if they realize that they may be expected to pay for some of the cost??? And Disney trips ARE expensive. And in their case, I just hope they understand that b/c I would hate for them to tell that kid no and regret asking him. If I could afford it and it was me.. we would probably not get dining plan and ask the parents to pay for the flight, food and souvenirs. Hotel and park is covered. If it is a huge deal and they can't afford it, I would re-evaluate the situation and maybe try to pay for everything b/c I wouldn't want to disappoint the child. I know that you are taking them on a trip but it's an opportunity for THEIR child to have fun as well.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: