Quantcast Technologically Challenged - Kindle Fire Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Technologically Challenged - Kindle Fire Question

So the Kindle Fire looks really cool, and if I am understanding correctly you can access the internet on it. (I have no smart phone or laptop.)

My question is - how do you get the internet? Is it kind of like radio where it just comes through the air? Is there a monthly fee?

Thanks,
    Denise
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL
    '13 WL
    Next Up: Jan '15 WL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It picks up local wifi, just like a laptop would. As long as you have wifi, you can use it.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nini View Post
    So the Kindle Fire looks really cool, and if I am understanding correctly you can access the internet on it. (I have no smart phone or laptop.)

My question is - how do you get the internet? Is it kind of like radio where it just comes through the air? Is there a monthly fee?

Thanks,
    Denise
    Thanks for asking, I was wondering this myself. I do have a laptop and an android (Droid) phone. Still want the Kindle Fire.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like WiFi only. If you can tether it to your phone, then you would be able to have connectivity where youre phone gets service, otherwise it's where ever you can get a secure WiFi connection. We don't connect to un-secured WiFi anymore do we?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I don't have a smart phone - I don't understand how and where you get wifi. Do you purchase it? is it like radio waves?
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL
    '13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I don't have a smart phone - I don't understand how and where you get wifi. Do you purchase it? is it like radio waves?
    Do you have internet at home? Through a cable connection into your computer? If so, in order to set up wifi, you need to have something called a WiFi Router. This is a piece of equipment that translates your internet signal into one that can be picked up by wifi enabled devices. A WiFi router can be purchased at any electronics store for about $50-100.

In addition, wifi is available for "free" at many locations, like Starbucks, some McDonald's, etc. These are called "hotspots".
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you BrerGnat -

We have internet at home - we have Fios, and my husband thinks that includes free wifi (hope he's right). I'm also wondering about on the train, at Disney etc..I think in some places they say "free wifi", does that mean that in other places there are ways to purchase wifi? I have seen these things before that you plug into the computer, are these for wifi? I warned you all...very technologically challenged!

Also, would I be correct in saying that the Kindle Fire is a combination e-reader/tablet?

Denise
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL
    '13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Technologically challenged does not come close to describing me. I have now had my new Kindle Fire for 2 weeks now and have only been using it as a reader and downloading a couple of apps (games). My DH uses his for e-mail now. I do know that Amazon provides their wireless connection for downloading books, etc. at no addition cost. In the past they have stated this will remain a free service for Kindle owners. Synic that I am......we'll see.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

The Kindle fire uses a wifi connection to get online, download content, sync with Amazon, etc.

There is a very big difference between that and a standard Kindle, and that is the type of screen. The Kindle uses E-Ink technology, which makes it look just like you are reading a book, and it's VERY easy on the eyes. It can be read in bright daylight with no glare issues. Its battery life is very long because it uses power ONLY when you are "turning" a page or reloading (i.e. when what you see on the screen changes). It consumes NO power while you are reading a page, for example.

The Kindle Fire is an LCD screen, similar to a television. You will have a very hard time being able to read outside on a sunny day, or somewhere that has overhead fluroescent lighting (like lights in ceiling tiles, at airports, etc.) The Kindle Fire's battery does not last very long, a couple days at most, compared to up to 3 weeks for the regular Kindle. It's not very high powered, as far as tablets go, and it doesn't have a lot of onboard memory. If you want a tablet, don't get a Kindle Fire. If you want primarily a reader, get a regular Kindle (that's what I have). Unless you are REALLY into the whole "tablet scene", don't bother with the Kindle fire. Judging by your own "technically challenged" declaration, I'd say the Kindle Fire is probably overkill for you. However, the Kindle, as a reader, is an EXCELLENT device, and you can also do some basic web browsing and email on it (but it's really slow).

If you don't even have a smart phone, I'd guess you will not take advantage of a tablet to its full potential, and if a tablet is what you want, there are better ones out there.

I cannot read for long periods of time on a backlit LCD display without getting a migraine, so that's why I chose the Kindle last year and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. We have smart phones, netbooks, a PC, an Ipod touch, video game systems, etc. That is to say, I am the OPPOSITE of "technologically challenged". I don't see the value in the Kindle Fire, personally. I think the whole tablet thing is just a fad that will run its course soon.

And, to answer your questions about wifi. Some places DO make you pay for Wifi, but it's rare to see that. Some examples off the top of my head are certain airlines offer wifi in the cabin for a fee. If you have a wifi enabled device, all you have to do is launch your browser and a window will pop up asking you to enter your credit card info to proceed and obtain a connection. It's very simple, really. WiFi "ready" devices contain a network card that can pick up any wifi signal. Verizon (and other companies) don't charge "extra" for wifi, as that is something that YOU have to provide for your home by purchasing a router. What you do is plug the ethernet cable (from your wall) into the router, and then use another cable to connect the router to the computer,so the signal will go into the router and be turned into "wifi" there. Once you set that up, you can connect to the network all over your home, using any devices that are able to.

Does that clear things up?

Oh, and Amazon doesn't charge for the "download" as that is done over the wifi network if you have a wifi only device. I have a Kindle with 3G, and that is what Amazon is providing for free. 3G is similar to a cell phone signal.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, if you're looking for a tablet, the Fire is not that great of a choice. It's decent, but there are a number of other better tablets on the market. I can't think of one that doesn't have the Kindle App available.

iPad, Xoom, Asus Transformer, etc, all are better tablets that you can also use for Kindle downloads plus a ton of other things. For technically challenged individuals, I can't recommend an Android based tablet. That would be Xoom, Kindle Fire, Asus, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - thanks for all of the info - VERY helpful on the whole wi-fi thing.

Since what I mainly wanted this for was travel, I figured the Kindle Fire was the way to go (kind of a tablet "light"). I want to be able to download movies, and access the internet. That's pretty much it. I figured a full blown tablet would be overkill. Any recommendations based on that?

Again, thanks so much to everyone for the info!
    Denise
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL
    '13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

You can get an iPad 1 pretty cheap these days.

I think the 7" tablets are workable, but a bit small. The iPad is a tad smaller I think than most of the other 10" tablets, and in terms of accessories, etc, Amazon is your oyster.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - thanks for all of the info - VERY helpful on the whole wi-fi thing.

Since what I mainly wanted this for was travel, I figured the Kindle Fire was the way to go (kind of a tablet "light"). I want to be able to download movies, and access the internet. That's pretty much it. I figured a full blown tablet would be overkill. Any recommendations based on that?

Again, thanks so much to everyone for the info!
    Denise
    Just get a Netbook. You can get one of those for REALLY cheap! And, it's a full fledged computer (albeit, without a disc reader). We got our netbook for about $300 and I use it every day (makes a great second computer for downstairs, since our main one is upstairs). I can watch movies on it using an external DVD-Rom drive (about $80). It has a 9 hour battery life, and we always take it with us on vacation. It's about the same size as an Ipad (dimensions), but it opens up like a laptop and has a full sized keyboard (which is great for emails).

If you are looking for a reader, the Kindle really is great, and the wifi only version is down to a VERY good price these days (under $100). When you have a Kindle, you can also access your content on your computer, through the Kindle Cloud Reader app that you can download from Amazon.

I find Netbooks WAY more valuable than Tablets. Look into them. They are like a "laptop lite."

Also, FYI, the ability to "download" movies requires an account with one of the companies that provides that service (like Netflix). You don't actually download the movies to your device, you stream them over the wifi network in real time. The Kindle Fire doesn't have enough onboard memory to store much. A movie can take up a good chunk of your useable memory, and if you have a Kindle, you'd be using that for your Kindle content and any apps you want to download and use. Your ability to store media is fairly limited with the Fire (although, you do get additional "cloud" storage on Amazon's server).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I love my iPad. It's much easier than even a netbook for traveling. I have a bluetooth keyboard case, so I can use it for writing and business when I need to do so- but it has a very good screen for things like watching movies and shows. I have the 3G option. I read on it at night. I do have a Kindle (not the Kindle Fire, the one with E-ink) which I love for reading in the daytime- easier on my eyes. If you're looking for a tablet, I would go with the iPad over the Kindle Fire. You might just need something like the Nook Color, which is pretty handy and a good reader device, a better choice if you need a screen you can read on in darker environments. But if you're just looking to read on it, mostly during the day, the regular Kindle is the best bet.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again -

I do believe a Kindle Fire is already on its way from Santa, but I am going to copy all of this off in case I'm not totally happy with it.

Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah!
    Denise
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL