Quantcast Free Upgrade??????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Upgrade??????

I keep seeing people talking about free upgrades that they have received. In all of our trips, we have never been offered a free upgrade....how do you get lucky enough to get this? We are going to POR in a few weeks. Have to say, I'm a little nervous. We were there a few years ago and it wasn't quite as nice as it was when we stayed there as Dixie landings....I'm sure it was just "bad luck," but a free upgrade would sure make up for it!!!!
    '76--off site Sr. Trip
    '90--first trip with DS and DD...Poly
    '91--The Greens
    '93--POR
    '95--POR
    '98--WL
    '01--WL
    '04--DS's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '06--DD's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '07--BC for our 25th anniv.
    '08--POR...8/13-8/18 CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We've only had it happen once out of our trips (well, actually, we were offered a second time, but turned it down... ) and I'm actually not quite sure what set it in motion.

Both times we were at AKL, and both times it was an offer to move from a pool view room to a Savannah view... the first time, we took it, as we'd never stayed there before, and our girls were with us... and it was WONDERFUL. The second time, it was just my DH and I, and we actually wanted a pool view, so we turned down the offer.

I'm guessing the first offer was because my girls were with me at check-in, they were just SO excited to just be there... I think the CM was being very kind and "rewarded" their enthusiasm. It was also our anniversary, and that may have played into it...

The second time, we were also there on our anniversary, so maybe that was it the second time around, as well... but I also wonder if maybe AKL has Savannah view rooms routinely open for some reason, and they are allowed to offer them at their discretion??

We've also stayed at CBR and two value resorts, and never were offered an upgrade to "preferred status rooms"... but then, at CBR, we had specific "island" requests, so maybe just getting our preference was our upgrade...

All I know, is it defintely seems to be random... good luck to you, I hope you get a fun offer for one!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrades are given for the business purposes of the hotel and the front desk must follow the hotel's policies. Its things like maintenance, staffing issues and even good will, but its not random. The best way not to get a free one is to ask for it. But you can ask do an upgrade but be prepared to pay for it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We were upgraded once. I believe it was partly b/c the bldg I requested was probably filled and not as many people were willing to pay for concierge. We were upgraded to the Hawaii concierge bldg at the poly. I also swear that it helped that my ds was celebrating his birthday that week! Either way, it was awesome and I thanked them endlessly!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was upgraded to Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn in May. It was 100% due to overbooking the standard room category, and a last minute convention booking. The front desk CM told me. I had booked a Standard Room at a steep discount, so this was a really great upgrade! Totally random, though.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've been to WDW over 50 times and only once have I ever been upgraded ... and of course it was for a one night stay!

But it was nice ... we got bumped up from an annex room to Club Level at the Contemporary.

In fairness, though, we've been DVC members for the last five years almost, so upgrades aren't quite as common with DVC.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We were upgraded twice at AKL. We were there in early December in the early 2000's. At that time it was definitely not crowded. We were upgraded from standard views, once to a pool view and the other time a savannah view.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing you can really do to get one. It's usually due to booking issues and what works out for the convenience of the hotel. Sometimes, there's a little extra magic involved, like when we went for my 17th anniversary to the Grand Floridian, where we honeymooned, they gave us a view upgrade from garden view to MK view. It's more common to get that kind of upgrade in a deluxe, I think, but still rare.

We asked for an upgrade on arrival of one our trip to the Polynesian, that we intended and stated we would pay for. What we wanted wasn't available when we booked and we were hopeful. But no, even though we were ready to pay for it, there was no availability in club level that time. If they overbook one resort, they might ask if you would mind an upgrade to another, say you're booked for POR and they ask you to go to Beach Club. That happens very rarely and it's all just depending on the booking needs of the resort.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I've been to WDW over 50 times and only once have I ever been upgraded ... and of course it was for a one night stay!
    Wouldn't your castle stay count, too?
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

We were upgraded from a woods view to a courtyard view at the WL this past May. Timing was the main issue. I drove straight through the night and arrived at WDW before 8 a.m. I was unsure i would be able to get a room that early, but was surprised with an upgrade.

The next day i asked the front desk if this was a coincedence. The reply was as such. "If you arrive that early in the morning, we are going to do everything we can to get you into a room as soon as possible." So the fact that the woods view category was still occupied, the higher category was not fully booked, and my early arrival all worked together for my benefit. But, i can see how during a more crowded season i could have been left to enjoy the lobby until a room opened up that afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also stayed at WDW resorts (value, moderate and deluxe) numerous times and never received a complimentary upgrade. We tend to book preferred or better view rooms, though, so that's probably why. I guess there's always the possibility of getting upgraded to concierge, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!!! I doubt we will be upgraded, but I thought I'd ask! Like I said, we have stayed at POR several times, but the last time, we were very disappointed in the room, the service....

We're staying there this time because we booked last minute and that was what was available with the winter discounted rates...hope we enjoy it as much as we did the first several times we stayed there!!!
    '76--off site Sr. Trip
    '90--first trip with DS and DD...Poly
    '91--The Greens
    '93--POR
    '95--POR
    '98--WL
    '01--WL
    '04--DS's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '06--DD's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '07--BC for our 25th anniv.
    '08--POR...8/13-8/18 CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been upgraded from a standard room at the Beach Club to a waterview. Have never been lucky enough to be upgraded to concierge!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Last December we were staying at CBR. I had booked a standard room. On check in we were upgraded to a perferred room near the OPR. Nice garden view as well. This was the only time I have been upgraded.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We were upgraded from a standard studio to 1 bedroom savannah on our first and only time at AKL staying on DVC points. Too bad we only stayed one night! When I asked the gal checking us in, she just replied "Disney Magic at work!"

Post Thanks / Like

We have been upgraded before- Once on our honeymoon at the Poly and another at the WL to a great room! I think it is just luck of the draw!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

We have been fortunate to receive many upgrades over the years- probably on more than half of our visits. But I think it's because most of our stays are only 2 or 3 nights, when chances are slim that the upgraded room they give us will be booked at a higher rate at the very last minute. I imagine that it's less likely that Disney would "give away" a higher priced room for a stay of a week or more.
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Wouldn't your castle stay count, too?
    I thought that too.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been upgraded a few times at AKL, Beach Club,CRB, and last Dec at BW. NO reason for any of them. Like others say it's just timing. We are a senior couple so no kids. We just enjoy WDW
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

Post Thanks / Like

We've had a few upgrades. Twice to a pool view at the Beach Club and once the ultimate! We had a club level at the Boardwald and got upgraded to the "Steeplechase Suite", the presidential suite. It's the biggest room in the Boardwalk! Incredible room and view. It was bigger than my house! Taalk about luxury. Fresh flowers in the bathroom???? Who knnew!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: