Quantcast RFID Entry Testing at Epcot Today

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default RFID Entry Testing at Epcot Today

I happened upon the first day of testing RFID entry at Epcot today.

We were let off the parking lot tram at the security tables on the far left side (if you are facing Spaceship Earth from the parking lot), which is normally not busy at all. There were tons of CMs stading there directing those who already had tickets to first get a Mickey sticker on their ticket (see pic), then get in line to get their ticket scanned (or something...not sure what this step was - someone enlighten me!).

Then after going through security, we were directed to the far left entrances and there was the setup you see in the pics. All you do is tap your ticket on the Mickey, place your finger to be scanned, and then Mickey turns green and you're good to go. Very, very simple and quick!

Now, the talk on Twitter was how they were going to prevent folks from just walking right through, which is a good question. Today, there were CMs and managers everywhere making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to do. It can't be like that everyday.

Also, I'm hoping this won't go the way of the turnstile-less entry that was tested in March at Epcot in this same spot. I really liked that too, but same issue I would suppose. What would prevent folks from walking right through?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks neat!

Here are my thoughts:

I imagine because this was just being "tested", that the way they are set up isn't the way they would be in real life. I imagine there still would be turnstiles but instead of sliding it through the machine, you tap it on your way through the turnstile. If it doesn't register, the turnstile won't turn (so same as it is right now).
    My question is, however, what is stopping people from buying a child pass instead of an adult one in order to get in for cheaper? Right now it says "Adult" or "Child" on the back side of the ticket machines at the turnstiles so the CM's know you're using the appropriate pass... and those little mickey ball scanners don't look like there's a screen on the backside for CM's to see what kind of pass you're scanning.

Maybe that will change when it's installed in real life though.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I imagine because this was just being "tested", that the way they are set up isn't the way they would be in real life. I imagine there still would be turnstiles but instead of sliding it through the machine, you tap it on your way through the turnstile. If it doesn't register, the turnstile won't turn (so same as it is right now).
    Which would actually be great, eliminating the need for the machines taking your ticket out of your hand. It is really fast!

But, I thought the idea of this setup was to make the entry for strollers, wheelchairs and scooters easier?

Post Thanks / Like

Legoland in CA has an "employee-less" entrance system. They have scanners mounted up that you scan your ticket under (like the price check machines at many stores). Once the scan is accepted, a large gate (not a turnstile) unlocks and you walk through. The gates are large enough for strollers and wheelchairs so everyone can go through.

There is maybe one employee manning the entire entrance. It works there, although I also don't understand how they can make sure that people are using the correct ticket media, or that more than one person is not walking through the gate per scan.

Perhaps this is the point of the "first sticker scan" you encountered? Maybe that is the point where the ticket is "matched" to its owner, via the fingerscan thing. Since WDW seems to be using a combo of RFID and fingerscan, it would probably be difficult for people to scam the system regarding using the proper tickets.

If they will not be installing locked gates in lieu of turnstiles, then I assume this entrance will be staffed with enough CMs to prevent people from just walking through, or maybe they will only be using these entrances for AP holders?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they're just testing them without the turnstiles. I don't see why they couldn't swap out the current scanners with the RFID readers. Would they really remove all the turnstiles?
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting to see what people do that don't want their finger scanned.

It seems to be easier and more straight forward than the current system. Tap, place finger, walk into park. They may still use turnstiles, but I have a feeling it will stay open because of strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs which slow turnstile entry.

Now if they can just either speed up or get rid of the security check that accomplishes nothing, getting into a park will be a lot more efficient and a heck of a lot faster.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to get off topic, but I think the security check is just to give the illusion of safety to guests. It shows that they're doing "something" to put people's minds at ease. I can't see them doing away with the security bag checks ever because even though they're not a very thorough check through purses and backpacks, if they stopped doing it, *someone* would complain that they are taking a step backwards and becoming too lax.

Anyway, back on topic!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

For the abbreviation impaired what is RFID?

Thanks -- tory
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Grandmom's house in St. Augustine - 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    July '12 POFQ

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Feb '13 Cars family suite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTory View Post
    For the abbreviation impaired what is RFID?

Thanks -- tory
    Radio Frequency Identification
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Are the turnstiles just to slow folks down - declumping as it were - or do they have a counting feature?

Early morning mobs to get to Toy Story, etc, could sure mess up the system, seems like, without turnstiles.

Wonder what the distance is for the RFID. Would the technology at some point not need the ticket tapped on the Mickey?

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    There were tons of CMs standing there directing those who already had tickets to first get a Mickey sticker on their ticket (see pic), then get in line to get their ticket scanned (or something...not sure what this step was - someone enlighten me!).
    Wondering if the scanning of the Mickey sticker was activating the RFID?

I'm all for whatever gets us in the parks the easiest. With this in mind I load up my pockets instead of a bag of some sort, to by-pass the "security" tables. I agree, Buttercup.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Wonder what the distance is for the RFID. Would the technology at some point not need the ticket tapped on the Mickey?
    I don't think the distance will matter as you still need to do the finger scan. This is just something to make it quicker and easier than putting a ticket through the machine prior to the finger scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Wondering if the scanning of the Mickey sticker was activating the RFID?
    The sticker IS the RFID 'chip' - Look at the square 'sticker' on a lot of packaging -- the one that looks like a computer board wiring...THAT is the RFID 'chip'. It would be very easy to design that into (onto?) a circular (oval?) sticker for the MYW tickets...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    The sticker IS the RFID 'chip' - Look at the square 'sticker' on a lot of packaging -- the one that looks like a computer board wiring...THAT is the RFID 'chip'. It would be very easy to design that into (onto?) a circular (oval?) sticker for the MYW tickets...
    RFID can be placed into Wrist Bands, MYW Cards, Paper tickets, ANYTHING. It had a million possibilities and sounds like if it works, this might alleviate the issues with those that just cannot navigate the turnstile ticket takers.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I was there the Wednesday after Melanie and I did the RFID sticker too. What you can't see from the photo of the sticker is that there is a tiny raised bump on the sticker, which is where the RFID chip is located. The bump would basically cover something the size of a poppy seed, it's that tiny. So I can see how RFID could easily be used on paper drinking cups at the resorts, in addition to the refillable mugs.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We took part in an RFID entry trial at Epcot about two weeks ago and I didn't really see much benefit from it.

You don't need to send your pass through the reader, but you still have to hol d it up against the sensor and do the biometric scan. I don't see it speeding up entry very much at all.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plenty of benefit for Dis :)

I'd agree with Ian - that I'd doubt that it will speed things up too much if you still need to do a finger scan...

BUT...can see lots of potential for benefit to Disney to this. Agreeing to carry something (for park entry) that has the potential to let them know exactly what you did all day? Marketer's dream

I hope, that if they are going RF, they also start some kind of "ticketless fastpass" system. I love the idea of an admission arm band - I'm always worried I'm going to misplace tickets, in my fastpass excitement
    Mel

Fort Wilderness - and Off property condo - 1980ish-2006
    First Trip Home MNSSHP Oct. 06. - OKW
    07 SSR - Jan and Preggo and the Poly - Oct

Baby's 1st trip - OKW Jan 08
    Land and Sea - Wonder and POFQ - Sept. 08
    SSR - Happy New Year! Jan 09

Post Thanks / Like

I read this test was coming. a prelude to the bracelets. Have to see the pros and cons
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilBugsMa View Post
    I'd agree with Ian - that I'd doubt that it will speed things up too much if you still need to do a finger scan...
    Finger scan itself is hardly ever an issue for me. Tickets going through that darn feeder definitely gives us issues. Tapping the ticket on this new reader felt much quicker to me.

I guess only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    We took part in an RFID entry trial at Epcot about two weeks ago and I didn't really see much benefit from it.

You don't need to send your pass through the reader, but you still have to hol d it up against the sensor and do the biometric scan. I don't see it speeding up entry very much at all.
    Yeah, but the idea is about the fact that they can process 8 people in the time it took to do four. There are 8 machines now where there were about 4 turnstiles.

So, the time savings isn't about your 20 seconds at the machine it's about not waiting for the others who would otherwise have been in the long lines in front of you. Twice the scanners in the same space the line moves twice as fast. Got to look at a bigger perspective to get it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Yeah, but the idea is about the fact that they can process 8 people in the time it took to do four. There are 8 machines now where there were about 4 turnstiles.

So, the time savings isn't about your 20 seconds at the machine it's about not waiting for the others who would otherwise have been in the long lines in front of you. Twice the scanners in the same space the line moves twice as fast. Got to look at a bigger perspective to get it.
    Don't forget about less staff, so the savings actually does eventually hit to bottom line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RFID Marketing

Also, to the point above, there is a reasonable distance that RFID can transmit. They could potentially follow your progress around the park, at attractions, restaurants, and at the exit without any action on your part. The readers would just grab the info of anyone who passes close enough to the scanners.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: