Quantcast Am I getting old and cranky or..... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We are continued being trained "the Disney Way" and it is ALWAYS expected once we start working. However, when you see the texting CM, the cranky yelling parade control CM, or the bored CM, it's lack of managing from their leaders. CM's have marital issues, deaths in the family, preteens, newborns, annoying pets, fires, car accidents, speeding tickets, and bills to pay just as much as guests. So yeah, it'd be normal to have an "off day." But at Disney, we're not being paid to complain while taking your Fastpass or yelling at you to move all the way down in Philharmagic. We're being paid to be the Magic. That's what breaks are for. Now, getting those breaks on time (or at all...) calls for a new thread topic...

When I'm a guest in the parks I too notice the CMs not being Disney enough and it makes me just as aggravated and disappointed. Should you point it out to Guest Relations? If it hindered your experience enough, sure. But if the kid is just staring off into space and not noticing your crying child wanting an ice cream, give him/her a break. There are 59,999 other cast members you may meet that just might make up for the rude one.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Bottom line is that the sheer size and scope of today's WDW requires a staff that is simply too large to ensure you'll be able to A. find enough good people to fill all your roles and B. pay enough to draw real, quality employees to work for them.

The reality is, when you have 60,000+ people working on property you just can't pay them all $15 an hour. It's not economically viable. It would force them to raise prices so high that guests would stop coming.

I think they try and put the less-than-magical ones behind the scenes as much as they can but nobody's perfect.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Today's non-magical moment. Waiting to pay in sir Mickey, the cashier was on a personal phone call and gave me the one minute finger. Not a big deal, it didn't ruin my day, but it used to not happen. I have no sense of enitlement, I have great memories as a child that I am trying to pass to my childnren, and it's working, but like I said, maybe it's me and I'm just cranky, it. Can be both, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    First I think everyones expectations are nearly impossible to meet at Disney. Second, we tend to forget details from the past, and always think it was better in the old days (a clear sign you are aging). Third, when you have so many people, it is impossible to hit on every person. I think if every business, and Disney is a business (even under Walt), was viewed with the same standards as Disney, you would realize how amazing the CM/Guest relationship is and the wonderful service you receive on a regular basis.
    I think there are plenty, PLENTY of great CMs who still work at Disney, and every time we go, I'm surprised at how many still go out of their way to bring the magic. I think the MAJORITY try to do a good job. And yes, I agree with the others that it is nearly impossible to staff that number of people with excellent Disney hires.

But I have to tell you, it was better in the "old days," and those of us who visited between opening and around the mid-90s remember those days very well.

You would NEVER see CMs ignoring a guest right in front of them while chatting with each other. Ever. It just wasn't done. CMs never yelled at guests. Ever. Directions were given with a smile. I remember the absolute FIRST time I ever saw a costumed character (Fairy Godmother) interacting with a CM out of character. I was shocked. Because I had NEVER seen a character do that before. This was 10 years ago.

If guests have certain "expectations" or feel "entitled," it's not because of the money they've spent; it's because the Disney Company itself raised those expectations. That's why bad behavior by CMs is so noticed and so remarkable.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

it was better in the "old days," and those of us who visited between opening and around the mid-90s remember those days very well.
    Something I learned a LONG time ago - way before I even thought about working for the Mouse:

Walt Disney World gets over 3,000 applications a month. They used to hire ONE out of that 3,000 - ONE that stood out, that showed "the Disney way" (to do things). That was up until the Eisner era.

Nowadays, and for many years now, they hire one out of every two hundred. And basically that's only if they can pass the background check and the drug test.

I certainly didn't stay there as long as I did for the money. I stayed because I *loved* the place. Granted, now, I can tell you I saw things run "not the Disney way". Used to be, your cell phone wasn't even supposed to be on your person. Once you got to work, it went in your locker. I *NEVER* carried a cell phone with me while on-stage. Then they started allowing CM's to use them "to check the time"; the manager-types had Blackberries that they could use any time, and the hourly CMs complained: "They get to have one out on stage, why can't we?" Now that policy is abused :/

Like others have stated, if you see something that you're not happy with, if your experience with some of the CM's has been "less than magical", don't hesitate to either stop by Guest Relations *that day* and say something, or when you get home, send an e-mail.

It goes the other way as well. You get those CM's that treat you the way you expect from Disney, same thing. Stop by Guest Relations or send an e-mail praising said CM. I can't tell you how good it feels to have a "great guest service letter" read *about* you at a morning meeting

Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Something else to keep in mind is that we, as guests, sometimes feel bad, and we aren't always on our best behavior. That can negatively impact our perception of Cast Members and can also cause them to react to us negatively.

In all of my numerous trips to WDW, I've only encountered a handful of awful CM experiences. I do my best to relax, have fun, and not let little vacation problems get the best of me. I think that's partly why my perception of most CMs is positive.

Objectively speaking, I think that most CMs are adequate, a few are top-notch, and a few are bad.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I am not surprised at all at the occasional "less than Disney" moments the cast members have given the lack of pay, lack of hours and genereal lack of respect from management. My first trip was the pre-opening party in '71 and have been so many times over the last 40 years I can't even begin to count them and I just can't think of a single bad experience with a cast member that made my trip less enjoyable, things have gone wrong from time to time but the cast members have always handled them professionaly and courteously.

What does surprise me is the consistently excellent service Disney employees have provided my family and I over the years for so little in return. The biggest change in behavior I have seen is in the guests, rude and demanding seems to be the new "norm". It's probably due to Disney's success there are no slow seasons anymore. Events like the Flower and Garden show and the Food and Wine Festival have filled the parks with guests all year long.

Not trying to excuse bad behavior, working for Disney is not for everyone and their turnover rates reflect that. Working at Disney used to be a source of pride now it seems to be more a reason for sympathy. The pay was much better comparatively when admission was $4 so I'm not sure Disney can't pay more, they just don't have to.

wish I was there today, Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darbylew View Post
    We have never had any trouble or any cast member being rude to us. I guess I just make the first move in any conversation with them and joke with them along with telling them what a great job they do. I think if you go out of your way to make friends with them that it makes them happy to help in anyway that they can.
    I love meeting them and just talking with them along my way around the parks. I am a people
    person and engage in talking with most everyone that I come in contact with. It is still the happiest place on earth!!!!

I also don't know that its a Disney thing, but generally how people are these days. People are ruder, more self centered, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Pick me, pick me!!!
    I'll drive the boats!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Pick me, pick me!!!
    Me,too ~ me, too!!!!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Entitlement?

Quote Originally Posted by JWB3 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I think many people (not us, of course!) feel a sense of entitlement. Having spent so much time planning and money making those plans happen, some folks feel they should be treated like royalty throughout their stay. In all likelihood, cast members earn lower salaries than their guests, working at a vacation destination they may not be able to afford for their own families. So once in a while you may run into a cast member who may not exactly be feeling the magic at that point in time, but I know that when I'm at work, I'm not always grinning either. 'Nuff said. TGIF - time for a
    Entitlement? No sir, its business reality. If you charge a premium price, you're expected to provide a premiuim service. With rising prices, one naturally expects the service level to increase. But thats not what people are noticing. Prices are increasing and the service quality is decreasing. People are paying more and receiving less. This is happening everywhere though. Its a sign of the times...a general decline in the behavior of people.

Having said this, WDW is STILL a great place to visit.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I also don't know that its a Disney thing, but generally how people are these days. People are ruder, more self centered, etc.
    This is so true. Please treat the Cast Members the way you would like to be treated. It's a much more magical experience for both the guests and the Cast Members if you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdreamer87 View Post
    We are continued being trained "the Disney Way" and it is ALWAYS expected once we start working. However, when you see the texting CM, the cranky yelling parade control CM, or the bored CM, it's lack of managing from their leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWdreamer87 View Post
    Now, getting those breaks on time (or at all...) calls for a new thread topic...
    It's just like any other business. If the leaders either rule with an iron fist, or they couldn't care less about you (and I experienced both there), it makes it very difficult to spread positive energy on stage when you are being bombarded with negative energy backstage.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

We are driving home from a four day trip and during our entire stay we kept noticing how happy all of the CM's seemed to be & that the the entire atmosphere in the parks seemed to be more positive. We only noticed a couple of CM's that were not "Disney like" but they weren't too bad.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

So many others here have already said this, but I think the average person is just much more rude in these days. I am getting old. I acknowledge that. But how I long for the days when people used to think before they spoke, wondering if the words they use or actions they take could hurt or anger someone. Now, everyone does seem entitled to their opinion only, regardless of who (or whom) they may hurt. This applies to guests (general rudeness abounds) and CM's, who I think, are still the best around. There are not many businesses that I frequent anymore that greet you with a smile, a kind word, or even helpfulness. Another poster used the word "apathetic". That is the feeling that I get from the world (not Disney World, I mean the "actual" world) in general. No one cares anymore. There is no more personal satisfaction in a job well done. Everyone is just marking time and collecting a small paycheck.

I go back to DW every year because of the fantastic customer service. If Disney treated me the same way every other business treated me, I would not be a repeat customer.

In other words, sure, someone may be having a bad day and one CM may not be as fantastic as the last 73 you spoke to, but I will still take Disney service (with more smiles than anywhere else) over 99.9% of other customer service!

Sorry about the rambling post. I just realized it.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

It's not rambling at all

As I said before, *when* you experience great guest service, get the CM's name, the situation, and write a "compliment card" at Guest Relations at that park or resort *while you're there*.

Goes the other way, too - when you do get that "bad service", same thing - get the CM's name, the situation, and let Guest Relations know.

When I worked at the park, I tried my *very best* to be the best CM I could be. Unfortunately, a lot of other CMs around me were either 1) better than I was , or 2) "bad" as far as the guest service goes - which kind of made me feel "mediocre". Provided my "service" with a smile - always - even when I worked the parade route and had to move guests from places where they weren't supposed to (in walkways, on light poles, out in the street, etc.). Answered guest questions as best I could - and if I didn't know, I found out and got back to the guest as soon as possible. "No sir, this train does not go to MGM Studios. No sir, it doesn't go to Universal Studios, either. To get to MGM, take the monorail or the ferry boat across Seven Seas Lagoon to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and then you can catch a bus from there down to MGM Studios."
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Main Street Jim;2214502]It's not rambling at all

I think that is the first time in my life that someone didn't think I was rambling!

Thanks!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaCalling View Post
    This is so true. Please treat the Cast Members the way you would like to be treated. It's a much more magical experience for both the guests and the Cast Members if you do.
    Exactly. I once bought something from a stand and noticed on the CM's nametag that she was from China. She looked pretty bored and 'blah'. So I said, "Thank you" in Chinese and she smiled and took on a different attitude. I think kindness works both ways.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    I'll drive the boats!
    I'll do wedding planning!

I think that I have just as much power over "the magic" as any CM or guest. I always try to help others around me whether I get paid or not. Just ask anyone waiting in any grocery line with me - I hand out coupons! heehee... We hand out glow necklaces and bracelets to the people and kids around us during fireworks, we hand over FPs that we won't use to people coming in as we are leaving. We give our seats up to those that look like they need it more on buses. We have handed out wet wipes to people who have had a fight with a Mickey bar on a hot day. We have let people in front of us in line who have complained about the line being too long, or it's too hot, or feet hurt or something.... Sometimes kindness of others make you rethink your complaining.... Especially when a 5 or 3 year old lets you have the pink Dumbo because you look like you need it to be happy. Or a 7 month pregnant woman gives up their seat because you are complaing about how full the bus is and how long you waited to get on.

I really believe that my happiness and my treatment (or perception of treatment) is a direct reflection of my treatment of others and willingness to make others happy. We try to exemplify a "servant" attitude and keep in the front of our minds that we have the power to be a "heaven-sent" for someone rather than that "hellion" who gave somoene a bad taste in their mouth.

I try to teach my children that they are living angels on earth. And that NO one has power over their happiness. It is in bringing happiness to others that will make us happy.

:getting off my soapbox: I try not to talk on forums like this or to others about a bad cast member or mean person because it's like poison to me. I would MUCH rather highlight the good. After all, some people around me think I work for Disney because of how much I talk about it or just looking around my cube at my Disney flare. I would hate to taint someone's impression of my happy place because I talked badly about it. You just never know what type of impression you leave. I'd rather people talk about me being too nice than being "that" person.

Main Street Jim - I probably wouldn't stop at GS at the end of the day to write a good job note about someone. So, I decided to pick up a good job form (or make one myself) and have them with me throughout my vacation (next week!) so I can write them as they happen. I'd LOVE to tell "my" CM's (after all they are in a round about kind of way "working" for me!) what a great job they're doing and to recognize them for it. This good job form has made its way on my permenant "things to do and pack" list. I think I'll make my own...

Can you tell I was in HR management?
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

i've been pretty lucky. we've gone almost every year since 1999 and before that as a kid went every year from 1977-1988. for the most part it's been fantastic. There have been one or two bad times, but the good ones have been so far and above the bad ones it's not even funny.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: