Quantcast DHS: The Untapped Potential - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Star Wars land would be fabulous! DH only recently learned about the Star Wars weekends, and his reaction was, "I wanna do that!" I thought, why don't they do that more often instead of just once a year - but a dedicated land would be even better!

I love the idea of rotating movie props on display as well. It would probably be the only opportunity we would have to see something like that.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we were on the Backstage Tour in January they spoke about how they are in discussions about how to best use the buildings in HS that are currently storage or empty. Baby steps, I guess.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Being a HUGE Muppets fan, I can speak to that a little bit. Originally, when Jim Henson was in talks with Disney about buying the Muppets in the late 80s/early 90s, the plan WAS to have multiple Muppet attractions.

There was a Muppet Stage show called "Here Come the Muppets" where Voyage of the Little Mermaid is now. It had kind of awkward life sized Muppet characters. You can YouTube it.

Muppet*Vision 3D was the last project Jim Henson worked on before he passed away.

There had also been a humors Muppet spoof of the Great Movie Ride planned, but after Henson's death, Disney significantly lowered their offer and the Henson children declined and the ride was scrapped.

I really hope the new movie is a hit, and that a new generation of Muppets fans are born and that Disney does more with the franchise. The Muppets are great family entertainment. By the way, Whatever happened to Muppet Mobile Labs?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    There had also been a humors Muppet spoof of the Great Movie Ride planned, but after Henson's death, Disney significantly lowered their offer and the Henson children declined and the ride was scrapped.
    Too bad. That sounds like it would be pretty good! - meep!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebritney View Post
    I think there are lots of areas with huge potential throughout WDW that haven't been realized. It's sad I would love a monsters Inc coaster or a lucas land. I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.
    Bingo! I think that's the big answer to Universal's Harry Potter area. Star Wars is probably the only property in existence that can rival Harry Potter in the amount of passionate fans. What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't take full advantage of such a huge property. Star Wars weekends is extremely popular. Just imagine the fan response to an entire Star Wars area. I bet there are a lot of people out there who aren't fans of Disney but who are fans of Star Wars that would flock in droves to the place. Plus, Indiana Jones is no slouch either when it comes to popularity, so they could have more of the park devoted to that, too.

I really think Hollywood Studios needs to go the Magic Kingdom route with distinct lands. As someone mentioned earlier, it's time to let go of the "real working studio" idea. There could be Lucas Land, Muppets Land, and Pixar Place to go along with Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Think about the possibilities! It would get me excited about the park again.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on all the Star Wars talk, but Disney doesn't have any kind of full-blown licensing agreement with Lucas or anything. It's not like Disney "owns" those characters and can use them in attractions at their discretion.

They have two very specific contracts in place with Lucas for Star Tours and SWW and that, as far as I know, is it.

I'm sure there would be tremendous costs associated with trying to blow out the use of the SW characters in the parks and I doubt Disney would take on that expense when they have so many of their own classic characters that are underexploited.

I mean, I love SW as much as anyone ... heck I'm a child of the 70's! ... but even I'd rather see a Carsland added to DHS before they go external to a SW or Indy-themed land.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I think you underestimate George Lucas' involvement with Disney and, to some extent, Pixar. George Lucas was the founder of ILM, which, in its early days, was the same core group of people who went on to create Pixar. These guys go WAY back. In addition, George Lucas was responsible for Alien Encounter, and has a very real passion for the Disney theme parks. Now that Disney owns Pixar, I'm willing to bet that we'll be seeing a lot more of George Lucas/Disney collaborating, since all those guys are "buddies".

George Lucas will likely never sign off licensing rights to the Star Wars Universe to Disney, but on the same token, J.K. Rowling didn't sign off rights to the entire Harry Potter universe to Universal either. They only get the rights to make theme park experiences based on the FILMS. Disney could, probably quite easily, do something similar. And, I hope they do. It will mean I get to go to WDW more often, since DH is a huge SW fan.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't want to throw a wet blanket on all the Star Wars talk, but Disney doesn't have any kind of full-blown licensing agreement with Lucas or anything. It's not like Disney "owns" those characters and can use them in attractions at their discretion.

They have two very specific contracts in place with Lucas for Star Tours and SWW and that, as far as I know, is it.

I'm sure there would be tremendous costs associated with trying to blow out the use of the SW characters in the parks and I doubt Disney would take on that expense when they have so many of their own classic characters that are underexploited.

I mean, I love SW as much as anyone ... heck I'm a child of the 70's! ... but even I'd rather see a Carsland added to DHS before they go external to a SW or Indy-themed land.
    I'm also thinking it's a long shot that we'll ever see more Star Wars than what we have at DHS, and that money is probably a huge factor as always. Imagine an entire area that is themed to Star Wars? Shoot, they could do a whole park, with lands themed to different planets! It would make Harry Potter's World look like a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Lucas should make a move on this though, because he's no spring chicken any more.

Just don't go into the Admiral Ackbar meet and greet -- it's a trap!

As for "Carsland", my God, couldn't they come up with a better name than that? Why not just call the area "Radiator Springs"? At least call it "Cars Country" or "Cars Universe". Anything, really.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I really, REALLY want the Studios to be a full day park again. It's only a full day now if you don't have a fast-pass for TSM and you get there an hour after park opening. The Studios had been my favorite park for a long time.

I know there are several areas that are not in use, or could be completely changed, but how much vacant land is available in the Studios area? Do they have room to expand for bigger and better additions? Just curious.

I also hope they expand the Muppets presence. But at the very least - PLEASE give me (us) some decent Muppet merchandise. I'm more than willing to spend some money there. I'm also not a big fan of slapping together more meet and greets - but I think a Muppety Meet and Greet is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

More Muppets? Eh, I don't know about that. Talk about limited audience appeal. How many kids today even know about the Muppets? I know they are putting out another movie, but I don't know how successful that will be.

I guess I just never really got into the Muppets. Puppets in general disturb me.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Star Wars Land would be amazing. There is just so much that could be done! And what a way to compete with Wizarding World of Harry Potter. You could model it after Mos Eisley on Tatooine, or Coruscant, maybe even have an area that looks like Hoth. Think of the rides! A roller coaster for the death Star Battle that loops you around in an X-Wing shaped car with model Tie Fighters shooting at you, or Animated ones on screens...seeing the milenium falcon roar past you...you loop around and around and then drops you down into an actual Death Star trench and the ride finishes with you blasting the Exhaust port pulling up and around for one more loop in space, and land back at the base...just gave myself chills. Just think of the character meet and greets..a Star Wars HOTEL! omg omg omg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKim22 View Post
    I know there are several areas that are not in use, or could be completely changed, but how much vacant land is available in the Studios area? Do they have room to expand for bigger and better additions? Just curious.
    Unfortunately, there is virtually no vacant land around the park. There is a little real estate to the north, but they would have to relocate a backstage area in order to use that. That being said, they could use the area that is now occupied by the Backstage Studio Tour for something else. After all, it's not like it's a real working studio anymore, and the attraction is very lackluster these days, as it doesn't have nearly as much as it used to have since they shortened it and put in the Lights, Motors, Action! stadium. I really think the only realistic hope for Hollywood Studios is to modify what is already there because I don't think an expansion will ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    Unfortunately, there is virtually no vacant land around the park. There is a little real estate to the north, but they would have to relocate a backstage area in order to use that. That being said, they could use the area that is now occupied by the Backstage Studio Tour for something else. After all, it's not like it's a real working studio anymore, and the attraction is very lackluster these days, as it doesn't have nearly as much as it used to have since they shortened it and put in the Lights, Motors, Action! stadium. I really think the only realistic hope for Hollywood Studios is to modify what is already there because I don't think an expansion will ever happen.
    Um, I'd be totally okay with them bulldozing the entire Backlot Tour AND LMA Stadium. Total waste of space, in my opinion.

You'd be surprised with how much can be built in an area that looks like it has "no available space." A good example of this is the Carsland addition at DCA. That land is HUGE, but prior to its construction, all that it was was a "small" auxillary parking lot for overflow. Since DCA and DL park are literally bordered by city roads, they had to build on the land they had, and they have done a good job of expanding within those boundaries. And, they didn't even use the whole parking lot!

The entire southwestern quadrant of DHS can be redone. In addition, there is a lot of available land around the parking lots that could be developed as an addition to the park (they could use one of the current parking lots for an add on, and add another parking lot further out). Remember, DCA was built in what used to be DL's parking lot. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, I have no clue how popular LMA is but I've seen it once and once was enough for me. The Backlot Tour seems a little silly now that it's not a working studio. We hardly ever bother with it.

That being said, both could be wildly popular for all I know. If they aren't, then most defintely they should be torn down and replaced. But LMA isn't that old ... I think it was built in like '05 or '06 (remember it was a "gift" from Disneyland for their 50th birthday), so I highly doubt they're going to tear it down any time in the near future.

Backlot Tour maybe.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Um, I'd be totally okay with them bulldozing the entire Backlot Tour AND LMA Stadium. Total waste of space, in my opinion.

You'd be surprised with how much can be built in an area that looks like it has "no available space." A good example of this is the Carsland addition at DCA. That land is HUGE, but prior to its construction, all that it was was a "small" auxillary parking lot for overflow. Since DCA and DL park are literally bordered by city roads, they had to build on the land they had, and they have done a good job of expanding within those boundaries. And, they didn't even use the whole parking lot!

The entire southwestern quadrant of DHS can be redone. In addition, there is a lot of available land around the parking lots that could be developed as an addition to the park (they could use one of the current parking lots for an add on, and add another parking lot further out). Remember, DCA was built in what used to be DL's parking lot. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    You make a good point. I really wasn't thinking about it like that. While I agree that it would be nice for them to do all of that, I doubt that they will ever have the motivation to do so, but I would love to be proven wrong. LMA in particular is a problem because...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think it was built in like '05 or '06 (remember it was a "gift" from Disneyland for their 50th birthday)
    Yeah, '05 is right. It simply isn't very old, and I imagine that they spent a great deal of money on it. Plus, there always seems to be a lot of people there, but part of that may be because there aren't many shows a day.

And while we are on the subject, I never did understand that whole "It's Disneyland's birthday, so let's celebrate by having WDW receive several new attractions from various parks" thing. It was backwards and made no sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw LMA once and....meh. I really thought I would like it, but it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    ... it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!
    Yep, that's my opinion of it too. I found the "action" scenes to be enjoyable to watch, but really, no one wants to hear the lectures about how it's done in between all that. I mean, some explanation is fine, but they just drone on and on and on. I wonder how they expect little kids to stay engaged with that. I know my son would love the action sequences, but he has very little patience for sitting through long explanations.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    And while we are on the subject, I never did understand that whole "It's Disneyland's birthday, so let's celebrate by having WDW receive several new attractions from various parks" thing. It was backwards and made no sense.
    Yeah, I never got it either and thought it was silly. Seemed like a marketing fail, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I saw LMA once and....meh. I really thought I would like it, but it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!
    Agree. I saw it once and that was it. It was a cool show, but the whole limited schedule, waiting so long to get in, being jammed in like cattle, and then being caught up in the herd on the way out just didn't work for me. Not my thing being treated like I'm on an NYC subway when I'm on vacation.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's my opinion of it too. I found the "action" scenes to be enjoyable to watch, but really, no one wants to hear the lectures about how it's done in between all that. I mean, some explanation is fine, but they just drone on and on and on. I wonder how they expect little kids to stay engaged with that. I know my son would love the action sequences, but he has very little patience for sitting through long explanations.
    I think the long boring parts are there so they can set up the action sequences off stage. However, knowing that doesn't make it any easier to sit through. I think about the other "how they do it" shows at DHS (Indy, backlot) and they do a much better job at pacing things. Even after seeing Indy a jillion times, I find it much more enjoyable. The huge amount of real eatate taken up by the stadium just seems to add insult to injury. It's pretty bad when I would prefer an outdated "residential street" to what is there now....

Still, I guess some people like it. However, in my opinion, WDW should have taken this "gift' back for a refund.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree! The park has lacked cohesiveness for years, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's laid out like one huge spiderweb.

One of Walt Disney's favorite mantras was "no contradictions", and yet the float for Disney Channel Rocks comes blasting down Hollywood Boulevard, completely breaking the aestetic.
    It doesn't make any sense.

After working in the Backlands (which is basically everything that isn't Hollywood, Sunset, Animation Courtyard and Pixar Place), I can tell you that I completely understand guests' frustration with that part of the park. There literally is nothing there. Pixar Place should include more than just TSMM, and the ever-so-awkwardly placed Narnia/Prince Caspian pavilion. I'm dying to know what they are doing with the empty soundstage between the Backlot Tour and Pixar Place. Does anyone know anything?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: