Quantcast Leave a Legacy at Epcot - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biolante View Post
    You can show her where it moved to. Problem solved.
    It might not be that simple. Don't assume that a person with a mental condition can just easily accept them being moved. I'm not saying that they shouldn't move them or remove them. I'm just pointing out that dismissing it with a simple "show her where it was moved to" won't necessarily solve the problem based on what the person who knows the mentally challenged person has said.

I personally don't like the stones at all, but they really don't impact my visits all that much anyway. I think the entrance area would look much nicer without them, but I've gotten to the point where I just ignore them.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    So, I'm guessing you don't have your picture on one of these. Becasue those that do like the monoliths right where they are.
    Um, so you personally know all of us who have photos on Leave A Legacy? I have a photo on there, and I still don't like the location of these. So don't assume everyone feels the same as you!
    I've been going to WDW since the late 70's and had the pleasure of enjoying the original entrance to Epcot before the monoliths moved in. Just do a google search of "Epcot before Monoliths" and you'll see how open, and well manicured the gardens were. No bottleneck of people trying to take their pictures in the center of the entrance -- you could get a great unobstructed picture of Spaceship Earth from anywhere in that entrance area... but not anymore.
    Yes, I do have a tile on there, simply because the bricks around MK were not being sold anymore. But I would really, really prefer it if it could be moved further towards the back of Future World.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some, like myself, didn't have the extra cash to have this done....it was included for FREE in the package we had. I'm sure if it was a free option for you, you're picture would be there as well. If those that don't like the look of it, and I'm not saying I do or don't because either way it doesn't bother me, they can close their eyes and keep walking. There are plenty of other things to see, yes???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Insulting

So because some vistiors in the past had enough extra cash to perform some very conspicuous consumption, the entrance should be uglified for everyone else?[/QUOTE]

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I find your comment to be insulting to those of us who chose to commemorate a very special time in our lives. It was not a case of "extra cash" or "conspicuous consumption", but rather an effort to have a nice memory of one of the few trips we would ever be able to afford to WDW.
    July, 1973 - Polynesian
    July, 1976 - Polynesian
    July, 1978 - Polynesian
    October, 1982 - Hotel Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)
    November, 1999 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2003 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
    November, 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

RMSongs I agree that the comment was insulting but I didn't have the guts to say it...well put!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a tile with my son and stepson and I think they need to be moved too. Move them to the sides of the entrance.
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot19 View Post
    Not to step on anyones toes, but I really dislike the leave a legacy monoliths as you enter Epcot. It to me is a visual barrier as you enter the park.
    I agree,I miss the open space and the view of the fountain with SE behind,to me they look like tombstones
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I find your comment to be insulting to those of us who chose to commemorate a very special time in our lives. It was not a case of "extra cash" or "conspicuous consumption", but rather an effort to have a nice memory of one of the few trips we would ever be able to afford to WDW.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. While I'll admit that pics of SSE before the monliths looks nice, the pics I have WITH the monoliths looks nice as well. The difference? My picture is a "permanent" part of my favorite spot in the world. I would hope that 20 years from now, my kids will go to WDW and be able to see an etching of their parents from their honeymoon.

May they ever stand in the shadow of Spaceship Earth.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Hubby and I have a tile from our honeymoon....We are going back to visit it for our 10 year ann. next week. I hope they leave it where it is.....I would love for it to be there for my son and his future significant other to see on their 10 year ann.

It's called Leave a legacy for a reason.

Just my
    DL 2000 (off site)
    DW 2001 (CSR)
    DW 2008 (POP)
    DW 2009 (CSR)
    Sept 2011 POFQ
    Hoping to get back sooner vs. later. :)

Post Thanks / Like

If they ever decided to take down those, wouldn't they forward the tiles back to the original owners. I know a huge task but it would be nice of Disney to do and a way for those special memories to be kept.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

**ducks under nearest chair to avoid tomatoes** I think I'm about the only one who likes the look of these where they are It gives it a very old school futuristic feel to me [think original Time Machine movie]. What can I say, I'm weird.

Though I don't have a tile on there, I would have loved too, but we just couldn't afford to get one.

But I love looking at the pictures of other people on there. It makes me wonder about them. About what they were thinking, where they are now, if they get back to Disney often
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    But I love looking at the pictures of other people on there. It makes me wonder about them. About what they were thinking, where they are now, if they get back to Disney often
    Yessss! A perfect assessment. You win the Gator Pin!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Yessss! A perfect assessment. You win the Gator Pin!
    **adds to collection** Woo hoo!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly. While I'll admit that pics of SSE before the monliths looks nice, the pics I have WITH the monoliths looks nice as well. The difference? My picture is a "permanent" part of my favorite spot in the world. I would hope that 20 years from now, my kids will go to WDW and be able to see an etching of their parents from their honeymoon.

May they ever stand in the shadow of Spaceship Earth.
    Well, Disney never promised they were permanent. The agreement said the pictures could be relocated at any time and permanently removed 20 years after they were initially mounted.

I confess I do not like the monoliths, I think a little imagination could have come up with better mountings than granite monoliths and would have maintained something mire futuristic.

But, my main problem is how they jam up the exit space when trying to leave the park. Moving them to the side would open up the area and still give people a chance to find their picture.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I confess I do not like the monoliths, I think a little imagination could have come up with better mountings than granite monoliths and would have maintained something mire futuristic.
    Totally agree.

That said, a very important part of INTERCOT is represented on those one of those tiles (Mel's (HarlowandtheMermaid) precious Sam ), so I get people's personal attachment. Not sure what a good solution would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

That said, a very important part of INTERCOT is represented on those one of those tiles (Mel's (HarlowandtheMermaid) precious Sam ), so I get people's personal attachment. Not sure what a good solution would be.
    This is a good point. I'm sure there are more than a few pictured who have passed on. I suppose their families treasure that little part of them left at WDW.

I assume the tiles are removable rather easily from the monoliths. I think they'd make a nice "wall" somewhere in Epcot, perhaps lining the Spaceship Earth tunnel, or placed along the border of the WS lagoon, along the wall there.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Maybe some, like myself, didn't have the extra cash to have this done....it was included for FREE in the package we had. I'm sure if it was a free option for you, you're picture would be there as well. If those that don't like the look of it, and I'm not saying I do or don't because either way it doesn't bother me, they can close their eyes and keep walking. There are plenty of other things to see, yes???
    Thanks for the chuckle... if I closed my eyes and kept walking, I would run into the things! LOL! I run into things anyway.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a keepsake

Mine was part of a package also so I didn't pay extra for it. One of my sisters took the tile they sent in the mail and the folder with the location and Walt's quote-shematted and framed it for me. I will always have that-it's fantastic. I wish you guys could see it!

My picture was with my Daddy whom I know will not always be with me so it is very special to me.

When it's gone it's gone. I have my picture.
    JANE

```````````````````````````````````````
    Last trip Oct 27-31-HALLOWEEN trip, Wilderness Lodge Club level
    Next trip ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GusNJacque View Post
    One of my sisters took the tile they sent in the mail and the folder with the location and Walt's quote-shematted and framed it for me.
    What a great idea! I have one of my 2 boys when they were 4 & 7 (now 16 & 19). I think I will dig the folder up and follow your sister's lead.

We look at it every year and usually get a picture of them next to it. Younger one has the most miserable face on, he was so done with the photographer, but he's a good sport about it now.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Well I personally think that Leave a Legacy, like the bricks at NK are a great idea. If they dont like them at the entrance, there are plenty of places they can be moved to. Just sayin'
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25