Quantcast Why is attendance up?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is attendance up?

I read on other posts that attendance at DW is going up. Any guesses as to how this can be considering the economic situation? Is there official information to track the crowds year to year? Just wondering . . .
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understood it isnt. I thought I had read earlier in the year that they were down by about 30%.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the same that attendance is down. When we were there in August POP century was only half booked. We found this out because a friend works for disney.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about hotel bookings, but attendance in the parks is certainly not down. For the 2+ years I've been local, I can tell you firsthand there's hardly a time of low crowds anymore. It's crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

More booking deals, that last longer.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think people may be confusing theme park revenue (which was reported earlier in the year as being down somewhere around 30%) with attendance.

Disney has been offering so many specials and deals that foot traffic in the parks is actually probably up. The issue is that with the discounts combined with reduced guest spending in general, that the per-guest revenue number is probably significantly lower.

When you think about the number of guests WDW puts through the turnstiles on an annual basis (probably somewhere around 15,000,000 people a year) a decrease in spending per guest of just $5-$10 (which is nothing) can obviously lead to significantly reduced revenue.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think people may be confusing theme park revenue (which was reported earlier in the year as being down somewhere around 30%) with attendance.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement --- attendance up - revenues down.

Disney has been offering so many specials and deals that foot traffic in the parks is actually probably up. The issue is that with the discounts combined with reduced guest spending in general, that the per-guest revenue number is probably significantly lower.

When you think about the number of guests WDW puts through the turnstiles on an annual basis (probably somewhere around 15,000,000 people a year) a decrease in spending per guest of just $5-$10 (which is nothing) can obviously lead to significantly reduced revenue.
    And yet, Disney keeps increasing their prices on everything....

If they really wanted to increase revenues, they should really think about 'price points' -- prices that will keep people spending in the park and bring in new 'buyers', rather than discouraging in-park/resort purchases.

A 10% across-the-board decrease in merchandise/dining/etc. pricing, while leaving resort room pricing at its current level, cut back on a few of the discounts (or keep them all if there aren't enough "heads-in-beds") could increase their revenues by as much as 25% by enticing those 'borderline' buyers to let go of some (more) of their hard-earned cash on food/souvenirs/etc.

But....what do I know? I'm just a software engineer, not an economist!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've said the exact same thing, actually. I obviously don't run Disney, but I do have a senior leadership position in a small business and, considering that it's an ad agency, I do know a little bit about things like PR and marketing.

I think Disney had a golden opportunity back in 2009 to say to the general public (i.e their customers), "Listen ... we hear you. We know times are tough. In recognition of that, this year we're going to roll back our ticket prices to pre-recession levels." and then they could have cut prices by 10% or 15% or something.

Instead, they stuck their heads in the sand, announced they were opening a neigborhood of $1 million plus homes in the Magic Kingdom's backyard (during, arguably, the biggest class war in the history of this country), and raised prices the next three years by historically large percentages.

So instead of earning a slew of positive press, reinforcing their relationship with their customer base, and generally coming off looking like heroes (and packing the parks in the process), they just ended up having to continue to ply the general public with huge discount after discount. This despite them proclaiming every year that they were going to start, " ... weaning the public off discounts!"

I don't get it!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've said the exact same thing, actually. I obviously don't run Disney, but I do have a senior leadership position in a small business and, considering that it's an ad agency, I do know a little bit about things like PR and marketing.

I think Disney had a golden opportunity back in 2009 to say to the general public (i.e their customers), "Listen ... we hear you. We know times are tough. In recognition of that, this year we're going to roll back our ticket prices to pre-recession levels." and then they could have cut prices by 10% or 15% or something.

Instead, they stuck their heads in the sand, announced they were opening a neigborhood of $1 million plus homes in the Magic Kingdom's backyard (during, arguably, the biggest class war in the history of this country), and raised prices the next three years by historically large percentages.

So instead of earning a slew of positive press, reinforcing their relationship with their customer base, and generally coming off looking like heroes (and packing the parks in the process), they just ended up having to continue to ply the general public with huge discount after discount. This despite them proclaiming every year that they were going to start, " ... weaning the public off discounts!"

I don't get it!
    It's looking more and more like we're going to be on another cruise next year too.

Sorry Charlie.. Errr Disney...

Post Thanks / Like

In bad times, people look for things that make them forget their troubles and feel good. People still want to spend money on vacations, even if it means cutting corners elsewhere, and Disney presents some surprisingly affordable vacation options plus a very happy fantasy-based experience. And even when even the "more affordable" seems steep, you see people risking their financial reputation for the sake of a few days' escape from reality. I've seen any number of posts here with people saying things like "I'm out of work, but I already planned my Disney vacation- should I go anyway?" People want the escape, often really need it, so... they find a way to make it work. Honestly, there are probably few regrets from people who cut corners to go on a Disney vacation at cost of other things in life. Plus, I think there are a lot of locals who take a Disney day as a more economical staycation option than traveling distances to go elsewhere.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Why? The biggest bang for your $ of course!Even with prices increasing over the years, WDW is still 47 square miles of non-stop fun, something for everyone, do it all or do nothing, any age and any nationality welcome, open all day, every day, all year long in any kind of weather, multiple types of transportation, every type of food preference, value to deluxe accomodations, 1st class entertainment, dining experiences 2nd to none, and...probably the friendliest staff on the PLANET! Now, what other vacation destination can pull all this off, effortlessly I might add? Only @ WDW!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

My on this is that foreign travelers have better exchange rates and people in the US foresee another recession. If they want a trip, they want to take it before a second recession while they have employment. Plus, there are some decent packages out there.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: