Quantcast Scam Warning - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scam Warning

Post Thanks / Like

Oh MY!!!! This past week when we were at WDW at the BC, we had MANY of these put under the door. We always brought them to the front desk.

One afternoon, DS#1 was taking a nap, I was showering, and DH& #2 were at the pool. We didn't have the do not disturb sign up. I heard so much banging on our door that I thought DH&#2 were back. I hopped out the the shower to see what the commotion was and on the floor was a flyer. HOW TERRIFYING! DS#1 never woke up, but I could only imagine what could have happened. We complained, brought the flyer up and were treated like "yeah, this happens all the time."

I never thought that they would steel a card number! Good to know...
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    This has been going on for years. You would think they could catch some of these people.
    This has been a topic discussed in the hotel industry for a long timed ( hotelier here). First, the real people behind this don't actually do the delivery of the flyer. For the most part, they hire people who will work for low wage. So, the one's you find on site aren't the real bad guys.

Second, short of totally locking down the hotel like a penitentiary it very hard to impossible to keep them out. Even when buildings and hallways have locks, they get through cause all they have to do is wait for the courteous guest who holds the door open for them. Happens constantly in the business.

And to teambricker, they treated it as "it happens all the time " because frankly it does. You won't have told them anything they don't know. Not sure what you want the front desk to do because there really isn't much except note that it's still happening.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    First, the real people behind this don't actually do the delivery of the flyer. For the most part, they hire people who will work for low wage. So, the one's you find on site aren't the real bad guys.
    I realize the people dropping off the coupons don't really know what's going on, but they have to be paid or at least contacted by someone. It just seems a little police work could stop this.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I realize the people dropping off the coupons don't really know what's going on, but they have to be paid or at least contacted by someone. It just seems a little police work could stop this.
    Sure, and they do, at least where I'm located. I know of some that were prosecuted successfully.

But, catch one and another takes up the business. As long as it's lucrative someone will try it. The only real way this will get stopped is when the scammers stop receiving replies to their fliers. So, people have to heed the hotels' advice and only use recommended establishments.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen these fliers but always thought they were shady and never bought into the idea. we love disney food and dont want to order off property. We were dvc at saratoga when we saw one. However, even though we have never given our credit card number to anyone except Disney World, We still had someone run our credit card, this spring, through something like orlando vacations or something. The bank called us and said, "you arent in orlando, are you?" We said no and they said,"We didnt think so, you just got gas here in town this morning." Thankfully our bank was on top of things and caught it before they continued to use it and we had insurance with them to cover it and fix it.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD