Quantcast Disney magic is dimishing - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I
    Simply put, Disney is probably the most expensive vacation that can be taken. If you can get buy on a 1-week vacation at under $1000 per person, you have done pretty well.

We have taken many, many more expensive trips then WDW. While looking into our upcoming honeymoon the prices for all inclusive resorts in other parts of the US and abroad were WAY above what we'd pay for an equal length trip w/ food at WDW.

These days the only thing getting any cheaper is real estate....might as well get use to it.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy336 View Post
    Let me ask you....when was the last time you saw a Disney character "just appear" out of nowhere in random locations in the park? It doesn't happen...at least not the last 4/5 times I have been there.
    We were there in February, and a cast member pulled us to the side, we went to a secret meet and greet with Pooh and Piglet--no photopass CM, just the character handler and characters! We had unlimited time (which was hard for DD to grasp, she was used to hug, smile and go) but once she realized she could just "play" with pooh and piglet she had a blast! That didn't cost us anything, and was one of the highlights of the trip. The magic is still there. (special thanks to the CM who took the time to do that!)

Characters cant roam freely anymore because there would be a lot more pushing and shoving than there was in the past. Crabby, pushy people at the happiest place on earth may be the cause for less magic.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post

Characters cant roam freely anymore because there would be a lot more pushing and shoving than there was in the past. Crabby, pushy people at the happiest place on earth may be the cause for less magic.

That is 100% right! Guests are the only ones to blame, not Disney, as to why characters don't just roam around. Heck it's a mob scene when they're trying to go backstage! Crazy.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy336 View Post
    Heck yeah it's nickle & diming!! Little nuances like this is was what separated Disney from everyody else......This was an area always open.....now it is closed all day and only opened for those who paid for the premium fireworks seating.
    This is how I look at it. Disney decided to offer a dessert party with fireworks viewing, and are charging a price for it. I don't see anything wrong with a business deciding to offer a service to their guests, and to make money, that's what businesses do...look for ways to make more money. They had to pick a place. It just so happens its "your" spot. If it were any other location in the park it would be someone else's spot. Can't please everyone all the time.

And besides viewing Wishes from directly in front of the castle, right at the end of Main Street gives you a much better view. We haven't done the dessert party because we don't want to watch Wishes from any other location but "front and center" of the castle.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
    We were there in February, and a cast member pulled us to the side, we went to a secret meet and greet with Pooh and Piglet--no photopass CM, just the character handler and characters! We had unlimited time (which was hard for DD to grasp, she was used to hug, smile and go) but once she realized she could just "play" with pooh and piglet she had a blast! That didn't cost us anything, and was one of the highlights of the trip. The magic is still there. (special thanks to the CM who took the time to do that!)

On our last trip, I was waiting in the gift shop/arcade at the exit to Space Mountain for our party to come off, and Stitch walked in! He happens to be my favorite. Then he went over to Guitar Hero, and I kind of followed him (my DS 14 was at Guitar Hero already, but had never played it before). The CM from the gift shop came over, opened up Guitar Hero, and started a free game. Then a CM took me by the arm, and while leading me over, explained that Stitch wanted to play! So, I got to play Guitar Hero against Stitch with a crowd of onlookers cheering. It was awesome. Of course, I won...how hard would it be to play ANY video game in one of those suits? After it was over, Stitch bowed to me multiple times, gave me a high five, and went on his way.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Of course, I won...how hard would it be to play ANY video game in one of those suits? After it was over, Stitch bowed to me multiple times, gave me a high five, and went on his way.
    Suits?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HackLaSalle View Post
    Suits?
    Costume!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    Costume!
    Costume?? What kind of costume was Stitch wearing? Was it Halloween?
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar experience to the OP years ago during the Disney Christmas parade in Chicago. It was the second year of the parade, and our big family, for a very reasonable fee, rented a small meeting room in the Omni Hotel on the second floor so we could watch the parade from there.

The next year, the room was closed off and the hotel began hosting a parade party there and charged admission for people wanting to watch the parade.

We were a little sad that the hotel realized what they could be doing with the space and that we could never do that again, but we also knew what we had was too good to last.

So Schultzy, be sad, and treasure those "secret" places you find while you can.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot19 View Post
    What everyone forgets is this. Disney is a business and businesses are in business to make money. We have all made Disney into this dream that we all love, and I am happy to have a place like that. But to not have them try and make every buck they can is not happening.
    Especially on these boards, no one "forgets" that Disney is a business. What many people are objecting to these days are their business practices, and their feeling that Disney is "forgetting" that their main goal at one point was a happy customer (guest). There is such a thing as good will between the business and the customer. When that good will gets expended, the customer first becomes disenchanted, then goes elsewhere.

What customers are complaining about these days is that Disney often seems to have forgotten good will in favor of generating profits, and that it's out in the open instead of behind the curtain.

For example, Natalie (BrerGnat) above shouldn't have felt like an idiot after her dessert party -- she should have felt like she received something extraordinary and would pay for it again. Instead, she felt duped and ripped off. For a business that prides itself on "guest service," that should be unacceptable. But many fear the company attitude is that it's perfectly OK.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't make big bucks but I still think that Disney World offers a lot of 'magic' for the dollar! It's quite possible that some of us have been going to this wonderful place for so long that we forget the things that make it seem magical. When I go to other places I remember what I would have been able to do in a similar situation had I been at a Disney park rather than a Cedar Fair,Universal, etc. park. Not that those places are terrible but there IS a difference. When I was young(during the 70's) I got to go to WDW and stay at the Contemporary for one night, it was a whopping 75$(yikes) a night! I remember the park closed at 6:30 and Daddy was watching the Olympics. My brother and I were on the balcony and couldn't believe what we were seeing coming towards us on Bay Lake(the water pageant).If you actually got a picture with Mickey(or any favorite character) and you in the same frame it was rare. That's not the case now and it costs money to make it happen.
    There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots!

Post Thanks / Like

OK...I have to just chime in with this...

I truly think that Disney does things right, and you can find a way to go on any budget with staying on property.

Those with no budget, can afford all the extra services. I KNOW people who can do this. I might add that most of these people are like Natalie. They don't want to get ripped off. Who wants to spend a lot of money for a dessert party and feel like you got robbed?

We are a Middle class family. I do things middle of the road, and like to get a good bang for my buck, as do most people now a days. Disney staffs a lot of people in the parks, other parks do not. SeaWorld had you loading yourself on rides. Very little staff working on them.
    Went to Six Flags on Friday. With my husband's corporate discount it cost us $30 each to get in the park. Family of 4 = $120 Not terrible...UNTIL you added on the extra "Flash pass" that allows you to actually get on rides instead of waiting the 90+ minutes that were for most of the rides. We went with another family and just got that option for the kids, and it was $53 bucks extra a kid. That added $106 to the day, and I DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT, BUT time is money and my kids got on all of the rides they wanted about 4X each on Friday. Disney includes the fastpass in the cost of admission and there is an equal playing field for all!
    I don't buy into all the hype all the time, you have to pick and choose. Disney is no different than these other companies, however, I think they are way better at Theme parks in every aspect, and therefore will try to charge extra for things along the way.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my!
    I have to jump in now and add my 2 cents worth.

I am nearing on 40 years of Disney. I have some of the best and fondest memories of my life come from Disney. And I just have to say that the World lost someone very special when Walt Disney passed away. He was a pioneer at making magic and money. Now it would seem WDW is pioneering in just money. Well, I agree and disagree with this.

I can spend my money anywhere. I choose to spend it at WDW. Where else can I have total entertainment for at least 10 hours a day (based on the winter hours of MK 9am to 7pm) at an affordable $30 +/- a day (10 day passes.) I have my beefs with Disney (reservations for handi-capable) but, all in all it works out to be a good value. Sure, I would like the old Main St. back with all the specialty shops and for Epcot to still be EPCOT (you old timers will know what I mean by that.) But, it still is what it is. It is an amazing place. I have travelled both stateside and Internationally. It is a good bang for the buck still to this day. Was it better a few years ago? In my opinion; yes. Is it a better value than Six Flags or Universal? In my opinion; yes. Crunch the numbers. If Disney did not find ways to make the parks profitable then we would have no WDW to go to.

That being said; you can educate yourself to what is and what is not a value by searching the threads here at INTERCOT. Or just start a new post and most will overlook that it is the same question that has been asked so many times before and take the time to answer it again.

There is always 2 sides to every coin. So it is so cool that we live in this time where we can gather information so freely and make decisions based on our own needs/wants with as much information as possible. If the character breakfasts pricing upsets enough people; then Disney will get the message soon enough. As it is; people are still willing to pay for it as it is and the restaurants are still booked solid (Le Cellier with its 2 credit dinner for example.)

I guess what I am trying to say is; I still find enough value in coming to WDW. There are still enough CM out there that do make it a special place for me. There are still enough Wishes viewing places that have not been made private/for fee places. There is still the smile that I get on my face as the feeling comes over me as I step onto Main Street after all of these years. It is still my "Happy Place." It is a place that I can tell my friends that I am going to be "off the grid" and they understand. Until that changes. I will continue to come to WDW and I will still leave with memories.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: