Quantcast Scary story for those who love all of the POTC "George" folklore...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scary story for those who love all of the POTC "George" folklore...

I found this article while searching the web a few weeks ago. Sends chills down my spine.

The first day I ever worked at Pirates Of The Caribbean, it was humid early morning in the summer. The building was quiet and still, the water was glassy and calm, and the audio-animatronics were twitching. Those things move after they've been turned off, and spasm occasionally at the wrist or neck. But the eeriest thing was the silence - it isn't until you've seen the Magic Kingdom utterly abandoned and quiet that you realize it’s not a place for human beings. All that warmth you feel in the bright light of day really comes from that reassuring music, the faces, and the people. Under work-lights and powered down periods, those attractions are more like ghost houses, museums staffed by nobody for a crowd that may never return. As I began to change into my newly acquired pirate uniform, a voice boomed from the PA system: "Good morning, George."

George was a young man who, while welding on an extremely high area of the ride during its construction, fell to his death. From day one of the operation of the attraction - December 15, 1973 - inexplicable events have plagued it. Breakdowns were constant and unmotivated. Female cast-members were mysteriously patted on their rear or had their bra straps snapped. Stories of George grew. In the early years, it is said that an old woman would often enter the ride and ask for a boat to herself. On the in-ride security cameras, she could be seen weeping and talking to nobody. Eventually, it was discovered that she was talking to her son, George.

A second, and rather unsettling, component of the story comes into play surrounding the area near the waterfall, where the boats take a brief plunge down a drop. At the very bottom of the down-ramp, the boats take a sharp left turn to proceed into the famous scene of the pirate ship attacking the fort, known as Bombardment Bay. This left-hand turn is the only area within the ride that the metal guides to the track poke above the water. Although it is a hazard for any hand trailing in the water, the boats are safely steered through the sharp turn. Legend tells us that for a few months after the grand opening, these raised metal guides were not present. This resulted in one particularly light boat hitting the bottom of the drop, hydroplaning out of the track guides, careening into the cave wall, and killing two women sitting in the front row. "The Ladies", as they would be known as from then on, would go on to become perhaps the most feared inhabitants of Pirates of the Caribbean.

The tallest structure within the ride is a multi-windowed tower. It can be seen to the right of Carlos' house in the Well scene, and again from a different viewpoint, later in the ride during the Burning City scene. This structure is supposedly the one which George fell from during construction, and his initials, carved on the bottom of the tower, cannot be painted over - they will bleed through the paint. The tower is called George's Tower, and rumor has it that if one sees the light on in George's tower from the Well scene, it means that George is "home". If you get to the Burning City and notice that light is still burning in George's Tower - it often is not - then something bad is about to happen.

Continuing into the tunnel, after the Burning City scene, is the Jail scene. To the right, is the famous dog, keys dangling from mouth, taunting the audio-animatronic prisoners. Behind the dog, one comes across an inauspicious set of steps which lead up to a door. This door is George's Door, and it must be closed at all times. If George's Door is left open, the ride should not be powered up in the morning. Building maintenance and Imagineering know well enough to shut it behind them, however, sometimes the door begins the day shut and will, in the middle of the day, mysteriously creak open If George's Door is open, it is said, a serious breakdown is sure to follow. As you can imagine, if the light is on in George's Tower and George's Door is open, it is considered to be an especially bad portent.

What a textbook account of all these customs, traditions and superstitions fails to convey is the day-to-day 'reality' of George. The morning and evening greetings to George over the PA are indeed mandated by Disney management, and any deviation will result in the day's breakdowns being explicitly blamed on the closing cast-member of a previous night. Switches, doors, water sensors and other basic mechanics sometimes inexplicably malfunction, causing the ride computer to enter a "cycle out" mode, which means that the boat load gates lock, and the computer enters a countdown until a cast-member manually re-opens, or “keys” the ride’s system back on. The only problem is, the manual start-up is located at the bottom of the drop in the caves area, resulting in the single most feared task by any cast-member.

The walk alone, just to get to the area is traumatic, dimly lit and wet. Cast-members who need to perform this task must wait in the area near the manual start-up until another cast-member calls in on a radio at the exact moment in which the start-up must be initiated. It is often during this waiting period in the extreme darkness of the tunnel, that many cast-members are hit with an overpowering feeling, and one cannot stop their mind from thinking of those women. I cannot here exaggerate when I say that those times I had spent waiting at the bottom of the down-ramp count as among the most miserable moments of my life. The low lighting is not helpful, the water continues to rush past you, and every second you expect to see a boat round the corner, perhaps with two bloody figures seated in the front row.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love hearing stories like these. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is so interesting. Tell me, did you ever "see" George?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of any guest deaths on POTC at WDW. Only George. Is there any validation of that incident?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff !!!
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I've never heard of any guest deaths on POTC at WDW. Only George. Is there any validation of that incident?
    I couldn't find any validation on the deaths of those two women, but it's a very unsettling story. I was also surprised to find out that all of these cast-member traditions and superstitions are Disney-mandated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Towle View Post
    I couldn't find any validation on the deaths of those two women, but it's a very unsettling story. I was also surprised to find out that all of these cast-member traditions and superstitions are Disney-mandated!
    There's nothing in the wiki on it, but they do mention a guest falling ill on POTC and later dying. The lore is always intriguing, though. And of course, as it goes with myth and lore, not always true.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, this story sent chills down my spine - true or false. I can't wait to go on Pirates now and look for all these creepy areas. It makes a dark ride even darker now. :-)
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I love George's story. I however have never heard about "the ladies." I do know that the cast members say goodnight and good morning to George and if not things will go wrong with the ride....but never knew about the door, all those specific areas etc. Very neat! Thanks for sharing!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who haunts Mission:space to cause the deaths and illnesses of all those guests haha

Come out and play george!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Can you see the initials from the ride?
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it!!!! I found a link that has more to the story about where the ladies stay in the ride! This is so neat!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    Love it!!!! I found a link that has more to the story about where the ladies stay in the ride! This is so neat!
    Do you think you could post the link?

Post Thanks / Like

cool story
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

As a cowardly lion once said:

I do believe in spooks!!!
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Towle View Post
    Do you think you could post the link?
    Sent you a PM with that link!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Great story. Thanks for sharing. My ride on POTC will never be the same.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    Sent you a PM with that link!
    Would you send it to me as well? Thank you..
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Love a good ghost story. I have some family that is friends with MK CM's I'm going to have to check in to this story some more. True or not I love this kind of stuff.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

From now on, whenever I ride POTC, I will remember to wave to George when we go by.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: