Quantcast Driving through the night? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on sleeping the first leg, remember the driver has "right of way" (that's what we call it)--temperature preferences--bring a blanket if you're next to him in the front seat, ear phones for YOU--he can play the music loud enough in the front to keep him happy and not be too loud for the kids--but definitely loud to you, also blocks out the irritating sounds of him opening/munching snacks etc. Another thing I found I really like, and actually puts my husband to sleep while I drive is books on tape/CD. Start listening prior to leaving so you are in the middle of an OMG, can't put the book down part I think you will be much happier on the Eastern Corridor at night!
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We always drive straight through and I drive the entire trip. I sleep in that day and then take good nap in late am w the kids. We want the kids to be rested bc when we leave around 3pm or so we want them to try to use some awake time in the car for journals and talking about the trip until it gets dark. Then we start a movie on our laptop. We have a car stereo that takes an audio cable so a week before we load several movies onto our laptop. This prevents us from having to change things in and out and the audio cable allows the movie to be piped through the car's stereo. I pick movies I know pretty well so while driving I get to laugh at favorite quotes and listen to the story. Headphones is unnecessary and dangerous. I have never had to turn music off to keep the kids asleep and def. not hubby. I play it all night long and it isnt until morning that I start to get drowsy. I think the trick is to go fed and then drink water and dont eat again until youve arrived. Wait until you absolutely have to to add in any type of caffeine bc although it works short term, if you start using it early on in the trip it can really bottom you out . It makes you super tired. Bring Gum bc it helps and bring a small cooler with bottled water in it. If you do get so tired that you start to feel like you need to stop and there isnt a place right away you have the cold bottled water to dump on your head. Sounds funny but I have had to do this before. Not usually on the trip down but on the way back....that is the trip that is hard for me to drive straight through.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be leaving this Friday afternoon around 4. I took the day off and will do some final prep, take a good nap and we'll hit it soon after the wife gets off work. I'll drive til likely a little after midnight, let the wife drive for a few hours after we get through the mountains and are on some level ground in Ga. then I'll finish up. We have an ADR for Cape May Cafe at 10:30 Saturday morning. We are going to use that first day to check out some other resorts for our next visit while we wait for the arrival of my inlaws who made the decision to fly instead of joining us for a 17 hour drive. Sissies!

I love being able to set the cruise and go with next to no traffic in the middle of the night. Last trip we went over an hour in Ga. without seeing another car on our side of the road. Yes we'll be tired, but we'll be in bed by 7:30 and up before 7, checked in and at the parks for rope drop Sunday. Just hope the storm coming Floridas way plays nice.

And as to head phones, tried that. Bad idea. Not safe at all.

5 days til we leave!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the overnight drive every trip for the past 10 years. I worked night shift for 8 years. We left around 7pm and arrived at the World around 6am. Not much to do at that time, unless they had a room ready which has been the case, on all but one trip we have taken, then we set up camp at a quiet pool and i napped until park opening. When we do get our room, I go shower, change, nap. Then we leave and are at MK for rope drop. I usually catch a cat nap in hall of presidents after lunch. I enjoy driving at night, no traffic, kids sleep, no potty breaks needed. Stop twice for gas. It's peaceful. I do know my limitations though, and this year we are leaving a day early and driving during the day. Kids are older now, so not do much "how much longer" etc. My best advice is to know your body and listen to it! when you feel like you need to blink just a little bit longer, it's usually too late. Have a wonderful & safe trip!!
    "Are we there yet mom?" "Can we go to Disney World tomorrow?" Lots of visits & we keep on going!
    Next trip:
    9/18/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Driving to Disney World

Years ago when my DAD drove us to DISNEY, He worked on the railroad, got in off the Cresent at around 3:00 a.m. He would come into our rooms, turn ON the light and say "Time To Rise And Shine". That was our signal to climb into the back of the "Station Wagan" for our trip SOUTH. Wasn't hard because we knew we were going to Florida!
    This trip, I'm going to copy his methods. Get to bed early (Yea Right), getting up around 3:00 a.m., leave BEFORE 4:00 a.m. DW and DGS will be back a sleep before we leave the driveway. This will give me a few hours of quiet and dark driving plus get us pass the dreaded Charlotte I-85/I-77 Interchange and will miss the rush hour morning traffic as well. This schedule will get us to ASMu a little after lunch. Just right for check-in an a dip in the pool!
    First Monorail Ride for Grandson, Fireworks from the Poly Beach!

ONLY 54 Days before our adventure begins!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

We drove straight through last year. It wasn't as bad going to WDW but coming home was murder. You're already exhausted from running around the parks all week and that last stretch through CT to MA was so hard!

We left around 530pm and got to WDW around 600pm the following night. I didn't mind driving the first stretch even after working all day. However, when my sis was driving, I didn't want to fall asleep and leave her awake alone. We pulled over a couple of times in rest areas to catch a few minutes shut eye but that didn't work either. I said never again!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We drove from Houston 2 summers ago and the drive really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

So, we're doing it again TONIGHT!

We plan to hit the road around 5 pm.
    We have 2-3 drivers depending on if my sister is willing to drive. I'm generally the nocturnal type anyway so I figure I will try to snooze while someone else drives and I'll take over when it gets dark.

I do recommend making use of the rest stops on the highway. They are generally very clean and well lit. Taking regular potty brakes and just getting out to walk around every hundred miles or so really helps keep you alert.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Just to caveat my statement about headphones. Yes, it is probably illegal. However, you will see sirens at night LONG before you would hear them. Second, there are so few police on the highway over night to begin with. If you did see an officer, they definitely cannot see you inside your car to be able to tell if you have headphones.
    So....because the police can't see you, that makes it ok????
    It is not only for sirens, it is also for car horns and the rumble strips on the side of the road for when you doze off while listening to your headphones.

Post Thanks / Like

We won't actually try this until our kids are older (if ever). However, we have talked about it. DH is naturally a night owl. He is used to staying up late and gets a second wind after sundown. I am an early riser naturally. I would have him drive the wee hours of the morning and I would take over around 4am. The trick would be for me to trust him enough to allow myself to sleep.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I did the drive the last 2 Septs. I do it in daylight, but plan to arrive a day early, just in case of problems.
    Both times, for that one night, we stayed in Knights Inn on Irlo Bronson Hwy, right outside of WDW. Its a real tiny mom and pop type of motel, with prices to match. Nothing fancy, free continental breakfast, all for under $40 per night.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We live outside Myrtle Beach SC. Always plan to leave about 3 a.m. Always leave by 5 a.m. Stop for breakfast a few hours in, stop again for lunch around Jacksonville. Usually make it to WDW by 3 p.m. Spend the first afternoon/evening at DTD just getting into the Disney groove. Check-in is always smooth, and last trip we actually hit MK on p.m. magic hours and rode most of our "must do" rides the first night. Made the rest of the trip easy because it was all a bonus from there. I can't speak for anyone driving from farther than me, but it sure is nice to miss most the traffic and still have time to spend doing whatever we choose. Just make sure your driver is fully rested, I would never put a Disney vacation above the safety of my family. If you need to leave earlier and stay over somewhere, please just do it. Also, know the limitations of your traveling party. It will do you no good to arrive at Disney a day earlier if everyone in your group is going to be cranky. Rested = happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default driving to disney

We've driven down from Michigan about 4 or 5 times, hubby is a trucker so he prefers to drive at night. He always picks the worst rest areas/truck stops, its a family joke. Last drive, one in Tennessee had a bunch of confederate flags flying (we're a racially mixed family) and a very young hooker hitting on all the truckers not mention the bathroom was the worst I'd ever been in; and a public rest area in Indiana was really clean and new - but there was a creepy man in a dress in the ladies room! It was the middle of the night and I was glad i didn't let the 16 yr teen girl go in by herself! Interesting drive, thats for sure!

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

We make the trip twice a year (once south and then north) but do not drive after dark. Somtime we will start out very early, say 5 or 4 AM.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: