Quantcast Non Polynesian Resort guests at the Poly beach? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what the OP is trying to say. They are only asking if this is a new trend, and should they stake out a good viewing spot early because of it.
    I think if I paid to stay there and I had a view from my room ( ground level). I would want to be able to see the fireworks from my room without people blocking it.
    I don't see a problem with people watching from the beach if they aren't staying there, but they should be careful not to block peoples views from their rooms.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1971 View Post
    We have been doing this for 40 years and have only stayed in that resort once. I remember the days of watching the fireworks from that beach while swimming.
    Me too since 1972! One of my favorite spots for Fantasy In The Sky...

Promise I won't set in front of your view!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
    I understand what the OP is trying to say. They are only asking if this is a new trend, and should they stake out a good viewing spot early because of it.
    I think if I paid to stay there and I had a view from my room ( ground level). I would want to be able to see the fireworks from my room without people blocking it.
    I don't see a problem with people watching from the beach if they aren't staying there, but they should be careful not to block peoples views from their rooms.
    That's one of the problems that have started as the crowds have increased, and they have really increased in the last 3 years or so. People have taken the chairs right off the 1st floor patios of the Hawaii building, lounge chairs being moved into the water, increase in garbage and so on. If it keeps up it's likely the Poly will have use the armband/key check system more frequently.

It could turn into the 80/20 rule of 80% of the problems being caused by 20% of the people and that 20% ruining for everyone else. Let's hope not.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

If a minimal amount of non-guests are using the poly beach then it's not a big deal. BUT, if the beach is overcrowded with non-guests and poly Guests, like the OP, have to go out of their way to plan to view fireworks at their own resort, then I don't see how the non-guest's use of the poly beach trumps that of the paying Poly guest. An overcrowded beach at night filled with non-guests, including off-siters could lead to problems and I don't think that's fair to the Poly Guests. Regardless of whether or not you consider the Polynesian an extension of the parks under a share the wealth type of belief, the needs and enjoyment of the Poly Guest should come first and if that means limiting non-guests' use of the beach, then I don't see the problem.

The Poly Guest is a paying a premium for the resort and that needs to be taken into account. And that's my
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I never noticed big crowds on the Poly beaches, but this would annoy me as well.
    Offsite - 2x
    AS Sports
    AS Music
    AS Movies - 9x
    Pop Century - 3x
    Caribbean Beach Resort
    Riverside
    Old Key West
    Wilderness Lodge - 7x
    Polynesian - 4x
    Grand Floridian - 2x
    Beach Club
    Yacht Club
    Boardwalk
    Wilderness Lodge - January 2014
    Boardwalk - July 2014

Post Thanks / Like

On my last trip we stayed at SOG. We arrived around 6pm. After we checked in we walked to the Poly, grabbed a bite at Captain Cook's and sat on the beach and watched the water parade and wishes. It was such a great start to our vacation. The sunset was breath taking! If someone had approached us and asked us to leave because we were not Poly guests it would have broken my heart!!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the posts about a large number of guests waiting for the monorail to leave the Poly after the fireworks... for that kind of crowd, it think it's more likely the Spirit of Aloha had just let out, which as another poster pointed out, often coincides with Wishes. Spirit of Aloha can be attended by anyone, and I think it’s far more likely that a crowd large enough to overwhelm the monorail station at the Poly was largely comprised of dinner show guests. Just a thought…

I think that, depending on the time of year the OP was there, the day of the week, and schedule for the fireworks for the day, it’s fairly likely that the increase in Poly beach guests and those leaving the Poly shortly after the fireworks, is due to the coinciding release of guests from the Spirit of Aloha. The SoA gets out at around 7:15 and 10pm 5 nights a week (Tues – Sat). Depending on what time Magic Kingdom closes, 10pm is also a pretty common time for the fireworks. The dinner show is going to bring guests from all over Disney property as well as those off site – many of whom probably parked at the TTC and went to the MK earlier in the day, and will need to get back to the TTC after the show. An increase in crowds the extent of those mentioned here previously, I would think, is more likely a larger number of those who were already visiting the Poly for dinner or a dinner show in the first place, than those that went out of their way just to get to the Poly to watch the fireworks from the beach and leave.
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I’ve gone back and reread the OP’s original post – I don’t think the post itself, when read objectively as I believe the OP intended it, is in any way stating that people shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy fireworks from the beach at Poly if they aren’t staying there. It seems to be simply asking of others have noticed an increase in guests watching from the beach and leaving afterwards – it’s a fair question. I think people are getting fairly upset at a simple misinterpretation of a question.

I myself have never had the pleasure of actually watching the water pageant or fireworks from the beach of the Poly, but I am hoping to make time for it this trip. I liken this watching the fireworks on the 4th of July at the park near my home – the park may be public space to enjoy the fireworks, but the houses whose backyards line the edges of the parks should be treated respectfully. This means cleaning up anything we bring with us, talking at low and respectful levels and not being obtrusive to those who are simply “home” for the night while we are enjoying the public display. I think if observed respectfully, there should be plenty of room for everyone.

I do think that people staying at the resort should be able to enjoy the benefit watching the fireworks from the resort, and if I stayed there, I’d expect to be able to do so – not because of a sense of entitlement, but simply because I happen to be staying at a resort with a prime location, and I may have even picked that resort for its prime location. Prime location isn’t without it’s occasional drawbacks – it doesn’t mean “perfect”, it simply means you have afforded yourself the convince of your chosen location, with less hassle than those who have not.

Frankly though, it’s all about perspective – even a moderate drawback at Disney World beats even a minor inconvenience at home, because we’re at Disney World!
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think this is what was intended but....thanks for the great idea!! I was going to do a Fireworks Cruise for my daughter's birthday but she wanted to go to 'Ohana's or the SOA show instead. I think watching the fireworks after is a GREAT idea and makes that 400.00 dinner totally worth it
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    Well, I don't think this is what was intended but....thanks for the great idea!! I was going to do a Fireworks Cruise for my daughter's birthday but she wanted to go to 'Ohana's or the SOA show instead. I think watching the fireworks after is a GREAT idea and makes that 400.00 dinner totally worth it
    The law of unintended consequences can both give and take away...depending upon the perspective of the individual.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

OP here!
    Hey merlinmagic4! I hope that you have a great time at the Luau and enjoy WISHES! from the Poly beach.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Disneyorbust. I think many like a "lively"
    discussion, irregardless of the actual question.
    I hope a fun time was had by all.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hey LVT!
    I think you hit the nail on the head! "Lively" discussions seem to pop up every now and then, some can be quite fun to participate in.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: