Quantcast Just got back...line etiquette questions - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had endless discussions here about this subject. The facts are...

1. There are ALWAYS going to be people who jump lines. It does not matter what kind of rules Disney makes, or how they try to enforce them.

2. (Others have said this) Don't let a RUDE line jumper ruin your vacation. We have NO CONTROL over what others do. We have TOTAL CONTROL of how we react to it.

3. Honestly, even if 12 people cut in front of you...how long of a delay is that? One minute? Yes, I KNOW that's not the point ... it's the rudeness. But ... be the BIGGER PERSON! Let it go! Keep your smile! TRY TO TRIP THEM AS THEY PASS and KEEP SMILING!
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    We have had endless discussions here about this subject. The facts are...

1. There are ALWAYS going to be people who jump lines. It does not matter what kind of rules Disney makes, or how they try to enforce them.

2. (Others have said this) Don't let a RUDE line jumper ruin your vacation. We have NO CONTROL over what others do. We have TOTAL CONTROL of how we react to it.

3. Honestly, even if 12 people cut in front of you...how long of a delay is that? One minute? Yes, I KNOW that's not the point ... it's the rudeness. But ... be the BIGGER PERSON! Let it go! Keep your smile! TRY TO TRIP THEM AS THEY PASS and KEEP SMILING!
    Great post and I agree.

I always like to say, we don't always know the whole story either [as in the case with my SPD/developmentally delayed son].
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...I see a whole lot of people who need a lesson in not sweating the small stuff. Lighten up and enjoy your vacation! You can't control other people, you can only control yourself. Chose to not get stressed and riled so that you can enjoy the magic.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Wow...I see a whole lot of people who need a lesson in not sweating the small stuff. Lighten up and enjoy your vacation! You can't control other people, you can only control yourself. Chose to not get stressed and riled so that you can enjoy the magic.
    I agree, to a point. However, it gets tiresome when this is not only a daily occurrence, but something you witness 2-3 times a day throughout the duration of your vacation.

Why should I allow someone to act as if their vacation time is more valuable than mine, especially when when my family is following all of the rules?

And I am talking about the blatant queue jumpers, not parents with little ones who need the toilet or parents of children with special needs.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UCJen View Post
    I agree, to a point. However, it gets tiresome when this is not only a daily occurrence, but something you witness 2-3 times a day throughout the duration of your vacation.

Why should I allow someone to act as if their vacation time is more valuable than mine, especially when when my family is following all of the rules?

And I am talking about the blatant queue jumpers, not parents with little ones who need the toilet or parents of children with special needs.
    It seems like you [general you] are bound to see it more at a WDW just for the sheer fact of the multi-thousands and thousands of people there. So in the grand scheme of things 2-3 times a day with 30,000+ people around really isn't that much, at least for me. I just don't pay too much attention.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Transportation Horror Stories

Sorry I got confused and put the wrong title on the post.

I am with you though, line cutting is getting out of control. I understand that some will say that they had to go to the bathroom or their 4 year old had to go to the bathroom. Well guess what, you get out of the line and start over. Sorry I am a little cold hearted when it comes to line cutters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredkari View Post
    Sorry I got confused and put the wrong title on the post.

I am with you though, line cutting is getting out of control. I understand that some will say that they had to go to the bathroom or their 4 year old had to go to the bathroom. Well guess what, you get out of the line and start over. Sorry I am a little cold hearted when it comes to line cutters.
    Just curious. Do you have children or children with special needs? If you do, do you always just "start over" if they have to go to the bathroom?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep we have been with our young nieces several times and if we are in line and they needed to go we jumped out of line and just started over. It stunk but we explained to them before we got in line that if they needed to go we would have to start over so if they needed to go they better do it now. I know my point of view is going to be unpopular. Just like in life you don't take short cuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, since most of you are saying dont sweat it, just ignore it, its only a small percentage, then maybe I need to start line jumping.

SMSP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post
    I am big, and with a rotten temper when this happens, it is simple. I do not move. Try to force your way past me it won't happen. I will claim assault if anyone touches me wrong, then self defense right after.
    I have to say, with the family friendly and non-confrontational bent of this website (which I like btw), I am suprised that no moderator has has said anything about promoting violence at WDW as a legitimate way of handling a minor problem. Really? Would you rather have someone pass you in line or a fight break out in front of you?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I have to say, with the family friendly and non-confrontational bent of this website (which I like btw), I am suprised that no moderator has has said anything about promoting violence at WDW as a legitimate way of handling a minor problem. Really? Would you rather have someone pass you in line or a fight break out in front of you?

My thoughts exactly.
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    It seems like you [general you] are bound to see it more at a WDW just for the sheer fact of the multi-thousands and thousands of people there. So in the grand scheme of things 2-3 times a day with 30,000+ people around really isn't that much, at least for me. I just don't pay too much attention.
    I see you live in Florida and have said you are an AP holder. I think there is a difference in experiences between someone popping in on a whim for a visit, versus someone who spends one week a year at WDW.

I would probably be blase about line cutter as well if I could go to WDW whenever I wanted (lucky you ).
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post

Speaking fights breaking out. About four years ago, we were waiting in line for TT. We were waiting in the line after the pre-show, when this family of 8, shoves right through. I was agog and stunned at the outright cheek of it. However, as they approached the CM who tells you which number to stand on, this man starts shouting at this family and somebody shouted racial epiphets, which is always great for children to hear.

So, that's when the shoving started and the CM hustled the line cutters onto cars, to prevent a fight. The man who confronted the line cutters said something to the CM and she just shrugged her shoulders.

I certainly don't expect CMs to get in the fray and she did the right thing to diffuse a situation, but I wonder how many other people saw that line cutting is a low risk/high reward activity?

And I have definitely seen an increase in the past 3-4 years.
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredkari View Post
    Yep we have been with our young nieces several times and if we are in line and they needed to go we jumped out of line and just started over. It stunk but we explained to them before we got in line that if they needed to go we would have to start over so if they needed to go they better do it now. I know my point of view is going to be unpopular. Just like in life you don't take short cuts.
    I assure you having nieces is a lot different than having your own children [not just on this issue but many issues]
    Quote Originally Posted by UCJen View Post
    I see you live in Florida and have said you are an AP holder. I think there is a difference in experiences between someone popping in on a whim for a visit, versus someone who spends one week a year at WDW.

I would probably be blase about line cutter as well if I could go to WDW whenever I wanted (lucky you ).
    I do have a seasonal pass, not an AP. I wish! But don't assume I get to go whenever I wish again!! he he. I live about 45 minutes away. While we are a dual income family, our income is still very budgeted and limited. We make it about every 1.5 months between Sept through May. Depending on gas budget, if we have the extra for parking, etc. Thankfully we CAN bring in our own food.

So I don't think it's necessarily about that [for me anyway]. Even when I have visited other places in the past, I just didn't let it bother me. But I realize everyone is different.

Oh to be able to go every weekend though. That would be bliss!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious. Do you have children or children with special needs? If you do, do you always just "start over" if they have to go to the bathroom?
    Yes, as kids aren't a pass to do what you want. Like if junior starts crying at restaurant, time to go. Others don't go out to eat to hear the crying.

Also, i've had line cutters, loud folks at the resorts, etc. You confront them, and they want to stand their ground, well, sometimes, there aren't many options but... Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Yes, as kids aren't a pass to do what you want. Like if junior starts crying at restaurant, time to go. Others don't go out to eat to hear the crying.

Also, i've had line cutters, loud folks at the resorts, etc. You confront them, and they want to stand their ground, well, sometimes, there aren't many options but... Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.
    I'm not saying I think it's right for sure all the time. But I try to be understanding and take the higher ground personally. I just let them pass, like a previous poster said, it only adds another minute at most to my time.

As for kids crying in a restaurant. You probably wouldn't like being with my family. We don't automatically leave. We try to work through it as a family. And while people may judge and have judged my crying child and my parenting skills, what they don't see "behind the scenes" is an SPD/developmentally delayed child who has quite a time understanding his own self, let alone the world around him. So there can be more to the story in any given situation.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO line cutting is always wrong. It has nothing to do with the amount of time you lose, its rude. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation, but there is a middle ground between letting it completely stress me out and being a doormat. I'm not going to let people do whatever they want just because they think they're better than everyone else.

As for kids crying in a restaurant. You probably wouldn't like being with my family. We don't automatically leave. We try to work through it as a family. And while people may judge and have judged my crying child and my parenting skills, what they don't see "behind the scenes" is an SPD/developmentally delayed child who has quite a time understanding his own self, let alone the world around him. So there can be more to the story in any given situation.
    My reaction to your post depends on knowing a little more. When you say you try to work through it do you mean for a few minutes or do you sit there for half an hour or more trying to calm him down? If that's the case than you are being rude. I understand that he has issues, but if you can't get him to calm down, maybe you should consider not taking him out to dinner or only taking him out to places where people should expect screaming children.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
    IMO line cutting is always wrong. It has nothing to do with the amount of time you lose, its rude. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation, but there is a middle ground between letting it completely stress me out and being a doormat. I'm not going to let people do whatever they want just because they think they're better than everyone else.

My reaction to your post depends on knowing a little more. When you say you try to work through it do you mean for a few minutes or do you sit there for half an hour or more trying to calm him down? If that's the case than you are being rude. I understand that he has issues, but if you can't get him to calm down, maybe you should consider not taking him out to dinner or only taking him out to places where people should expect screaming children.
    Welcome to Intercot! How did you hear about us

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me what others think or how "rude" they think I'm being. If it's beyond 4-5 minutes, we talk a walk outside then come back when he's calm. I refuse for my child to live a shut-in life or only go to "certain" places because people think he should only go to those places just because he has special needs. While I understand when people say "I don't go out to eat to hear children cry"...I *could* easily be just as harsh and say then don't go to a place that has high chairs and boosts "family restaurant." More than anything, I'm saddened most by people's lack of understand and compassion for their fellow human being.

And while everyone is different, unless one has a special needs child it's truly hard to understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Enough already!! Would some moderator PLEASE lock this thread down?

And now let's all get back to thinking about what a great place WDW is!
    Previous trips:

Nov 2000, Oct 2002 - WL
    Dec 2002 - CSR (conf.)
    Feb 2004 - AKL
    Feb 2005, Jan 2007 - POR
    Oct 2007 - CSR (conf.)
    Oct 2008 - POP (pre-conf. visit)
    Oct 2009 - BV Suites (conf.)
    Oct 2010 - POR
    Nov 2010 - BV Suites (conf.)
    June 2012 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JWB3 View Post
    Enough already!! Would some moderator PLEASE lock this thread down?

And now let's all get back to thinking about what a great place WDW is!
    I hear that! Speaking of, I'm sad I didn't get to ride Toy Story Mania when I was there last! The wait was 2 hours and FP were out by 10am! My boys were even sadder!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: